Another Target Stand & a simple Training Device

You can hit other persons onto their hands, until there's no one left who's holding you anything, or - you build a target stand. Great idea, by the way.
Robby Amper

Another Target Stand & a simple Training Device

Post by Robby Amper »

Over the last weeks - between studio work and sleep - I built myself some new gadgets. A Target stand with clamps for paper stripes, spaghetti or what ever, one stand for cracking candles and a trainer. For the big target stand and the candle holder I have to give credit to Dan Borton, because some time ago he sent me my first plans for a proper target stand!

The first thing is the target stand with the clamps. The windmill stand is very safe and it's very hard to bring it down. I found it an interesting but strange fact, that more and more people end their youtube videos with pulling a target stand to the ground. Hm. Perhaps I missed a point.

The middle, the pole, is nearly massive and veeery heavy. Under the stand are little rubber parts. I installed them to make sure that the wood can dry properly afterwards, when I use it in the snow or wet grass. It'll be alwys outside - winter or summer - so it needed some protection from rotting. And the whole thing looks like this:

Image Image

The other one is for candle work. The wood is covered with "protection paint" (sorry, I don't know the proper word for the material), and is overall a bit lighter than the big stand. The holder for the candles are chrome covered; no problems with weather, either :) The funny thing is - I can crack them easily with the forward crack. But with the circus crack... Oh, boy...

The last one is the trainer. It's a very simple construction, but it does a great job. The stripes are from heavy rubber and can withstand the cracks perfectly. I use it for myself or when I give lessons. The rubber parts are the same length on both sides, so two folks can practice the same time from different sides. It works with that big spike straight into the ground. I use it only on grass, never indoors, so...

Image Image

That's the news from me :)
Take care,
Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Cool, Robby! I love the new tutorial section. I think I will try my hand at some of these stands. The term you were looking for (protection paint) was probably stain or finish, or maybe varnish, which could be oil or water based.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Thanks Tyler. I think, it's water based. It's "color" to protect the wood from rain, moisture & snow. And if you build your own, please post the single steps here, okay?

All the best,
Robby
GodOfThunder

Post by GodOfThunder »

Hey Robby...Like Tyler, I love the tutorial section :) One question...forgive my ignorance, but what is a trainer? Are you striking the rubber strips with the cracker or the fall? The first two seem pretty straight forward to me...I just don't know the trainer.

Mickey
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

No ignorance, Mickey :) It's a trainer for target work. You try to strike always exactly one of these rubber stripes. Like you would cut it. Ideal is, when you just touch it with the cracker. I'm working on that...

The two stripes at the side give you even more target points, or - when you have two or more folks practicing (on a seminar, for example) you have four sides to crack and practice from. This "Robbynator" (it was given that name by students) is good, if you are alone, and don't want to replace targets again and again, or if you have two or three folks and limited space for target stands.

That's it ;)

Robby
GodOfThunder

Post by GodOfThunder »

Ahhh...thanks Robby :) that makes sense. They all look great (I may have to "borrow" one or more of these ideas :))

Mickey
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Of course, please do that, Mickey! I'd be honored and more than happy if people use these ideas. Therefore we have this Tutorial section in the forum. It's all about give and take. I received so much from the community here - it's more than fair to give at least a little bit back to the community. If you need details - ask me. I'll be glad to help.

Robby

Return to “Target Stands (+++ public thread +++)”