A couple more

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Mark Elliott

A couple more

Post by Mark Elliott »

Here are my latest whips.

first is an 8-foot, imperial red, nylon bullwhip with a 10 inch Indian Ebony handle. This is whip number 72. It has 3 bellies over a twisted-tapered core, a 20-plait overlay, an English eye fall hitch, a 24-inch double loop, weighted fall, and a 10-inch B55 nylon cracker. The whip is waxed.

Next is an experiment based on a whip made by the extraordinary whip cracker, Adam Winrich. A few months ago he and Nick Schrader of Nick’s Whip Shop made a video showing how Mr. Winrich made a single belly bull whip from paracord. I wanted to see for myself how it would work out and so I made this whip.

This is whip #73. It is an 8-ft long with a 10-inch steel rod for the handle. The core is made of 8 un-gutted strands of paracord of different lengths bound with artificial sinew to start the taper of the whip. It has a 12 plait belly around this core. The overlay is 16-plait and ends with a twisted taper. it has a 2-foot, weighted fall and a 10-inch B55 nylon cracker. The heel knot is a 7×6 Turk’s head knot over a lead foundation and the transition is a 5×4 THK. The whip is waxed

Because of the thickness of the core, this whip has a diameter that is only slightly smaller than the 3-belly whip I made just prior to this one. The 3-belly whip is 24.5 mm and this one is 22.25mm. The 3-belly whip is a little heavier at 1 lb. 5.5 oz. and to me seems a little springier and takes less effort to crack than this single belly whip which weights 1 lb. 2.2 oz.

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

I forgot to say that the red whip is basically a cow whip but the handle is epoxied on instead of tied on with a keeper. This innovation was created by Rachel and I, being basically an uncreative person, have tried to copy it to the best of my ability, poor as it is.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Great looking whips, Mark.

I love color of the brown one. The handle almost looks like plaited wood strands.
It stands to reason that with more support comes more "spring" to help move the energy down the thong with less energy from the thrower.

Both of them are very nicely done.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Mark, these are beauties! You did a fine job!
Inch by inch.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thanks Ron, and Rachel. Ron, that rust cord is just about my favorite color to work with. I buy it and the black in 1000 ft spools
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Very fine work, Mark! I have to say I prefer the red one - though I'm not quite sure why. It somehow looks more 'business-like' to me - but both look very good.
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Mark, those whips look superb and I'm sure that they perfom as good as they look!

Ben
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Nice!
Brown one has great "patina"
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thanks, guys. Robert, I like the way the red one handles a little better as well.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Mark, I somehow sensed that it would perform better - I don't know how!
'Less is often more!'
Ross Buckley

Post by Ross Buckley »

Beautiful work as always Mark :)
Yes I wear a hat, no my names not Indiana Jones...........
Andrew Van Werkhoven

Post by Andrew Van Werkhoven »

Love that red whip, fascinating experiment with #73, thanks for sharing the details!
Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.
Hayes Rutherford

Post by Hayes Rutherford »

Mark, I'm late on board here but have enjoyed viewing your whip photos. My whip #1 was made based on that same Adam W. video. It took 3 trips to the library to view the video, and while waiting for artificial sinew, e tape was used. The e tape idea came from an easy to find on the net "instructables" . I know better now, but the whip does crack pretty easy and a lot learned . Just might put an order in for some "rust" paracord :)

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”