10/10 Challenge the Circus Crack March 1st to March 10th 2020

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today I tried for five minutes with my left hand and have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't do that.
The tendons in the palm of my hand started to protest and I sure don't need to aggravate that again as I was with riding my bike.
Even though I was not squeezing hard like with the clutch, it just is not going to work.
The last five minutes were a great improvement with the right hand.

Remember that this thread is the place to post your results , experience, and or videos and not the daily Roll Call.

Happy crackin' .

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Today's session was much improved, or at least it seemed much more natural to me the first two sessions with my left hand did. I am still using Jessie's practical whip for the sessions but might try a heavier whip tomorrow, just to increase resistance and build a little muscle and stamina in my left arm-it's pretty tired by the end of the 10 minutes. I am also going to try to find a mount for my tripod that will hold my phone to make a video so that I can actually see what needs correcting.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Yesterday late evening and this morning I found out that toning down the speed is of course possible, but unfortunately only with my right hand in a sufficient way...
It works well with the speed level as I had in the video, but as soon I try to reduce I‘m hitting my arm or something whereas witj the right hand it still works ok. It’s obvious I don’t have the same mobility and feeling in the left wrist.
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

I've been practicing outside the last few days, but yesterday my neighbour came and complained about the ongoing noice. Oops! Is there a way I can decrease the number of decibels somehow? Or should I try and craft a very, very small whip (our living room is really cozy :)) to practice indoors?
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Julia, have you tried one of Robby's 'neighbourhood friendly crackers'? I can't find a link (Ron may be able to help here) but they're mentioned in one of the WB DVDs. They're essentially fat and fluffy, so they go 'futt' rather than 'bang'. :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Julia, you might try making a cracker out of knitting yarn.
It's lighter and less likely to produce a neighbor annoying crack.
Or you could just tell them to go to...... no don't do that. :)

Ron
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Day 4- left-hand Cattleman's. I'm using a pretty heavy 8.5 ft. bull I made a couple of years ago. It has a BB loaded core, 3 bellies, a 10-inch handle, and a weighted fall all made according to Nick's videos. It's probably one of the whips I use the most just because I like the way it feels. It is kind of ugly, though.

https://youtu.be/cqsLs-Wecag
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

You did very well left handed.
I would pause in between cracks and it might not be as tiring.
At least that what I have found.

Today I kept the focus on not watching the whip, but a point on the imaginary horizon. I also tried with my eyes closed.
Doing that I found I could actually feel the whip and it helped get rid of early cracks and promoted the form better.

Tomorrow I will focus on slowing down the throw and making the least amount of crack but still let the thong complete it's entire journey to a "puff / pop".

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

There's no doubt that focussing on an imaginary point on the horizon helps a lot.

Mark, this is not a criticism - but I see you're doing (or rather, not doing) what Robby has challenged in my cracking. The top of your body sort of rocks back and forth with each crack, but otherwise remains almost rigid. Robby has pointed out to me (again and again!) the every crack starts from the feet! One's body weight should shift as the whip moves, and the hand opposite the whip should move, too (generally, in the opposite direction to the whip hand).

The whole thing could easily become more fluid and relaxed. (I'm speaking to myself, you understand!)

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I didn't do any cracking yesterday. It just wasn't possible. I'll see if I can do two sessions today, to make up - but that may disqualify me....
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

I‘d like to add some thoughts questions to Mark‘s video. There is a pronounced follow through and you can really see the impact the whip has on the ground. Before I found whip basics, my „bible“ and archive to look at were the videos of April Choi and so my idea of the cattleman’s or circus crack was heavily influenced by her tutorial video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJhRnUML ... dex=2&t=0s
The first thing I now realize is: in her video there is no real emphasis on the follow-through and it’s not directly mentioned. Instead the explanation there is to direct the crack in a certain direction i.e. horizontally away from you and „aimed“ at an imaginary point right in front. Later on in other videos I saw the crack explained with much more emphasis on follow through and the „crack point“ seemed to be not in front but almost on the ground. I remember in one video two whips were compared - one cracked the other didn’t, but I thought it was a sloppy comparison, because different whips need different technique and when one whip rolls out and makes a crack before it hits the ground and the other doesn’t because it’s longer and doesn’t have chance to roll out before it hits the ground, than it’s not an issue of the whip but of the way it’s cracked (or not cracked in that case).

Anyway this is just something I noticed...finding the right timing and placing the crack at a position where I want it to happen, also important for target work.
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

Robert, Ron, thank you both for that tip! I'll be making a cracker out of knitting yarn tonight. I'd like to keep my neighbour on my good side. At least untill we move. :)
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Ron, you are right and I don't know why I thought I had to do it continuously like that. Today I slowed it down into separate cracks. It helped to sort of reset in between each crack.

Robert, I tried to step into each crack and relax and I almost fell over! It is so awkward doing things left-handed. By the end of the 10 minutes, it was better, but I don't know if I looked any less stiff or not.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Today’s experiment: fluffy vs. normal cracker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YPWFCL6 ... e=youtu.be

The video captures the difference I think.
As for the crack itself, pretty much „stuck“ on the way it is right now. I think tomorrow with a different whip will be more interesting.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wolfgang, the "fluffy cracker" definitely does make a difference in the report of the whip.

A short whip will, by nature, give you a more limited range of movement to produce the desired result.

With a longer whip I think you'll feel a lot more freedom and a better feeling of what the whip does in the throw.

For such a short whip. I believe you're doing a very good job.

Ron
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

We're on our way to the woods this weekend. No neighbours over there who will complain about the sound. Woot! :) I'll be making use of that. Looking forward to spending some time outside as it is.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Julia, remember, getting it to crack is less important than good form.
With good form, the crack will happen.
It took me a while to believe this, but now I know it's true due to my own experiences.
Have fun in the woods.

Ron
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

Focus will be on form, but I can't deny the satisfaction of a loud crack.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Julia, sometimes you've just gotta make some noise! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Julia, who can?
It's just so satisfying.

Today's practice was in great weather and my good mood improved with every crack.
I think it's looking more like the throw it was meant to be.

Tomorrow I'm going to try something a little different.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ron
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

You’re right Ron - with a whip like this I may be able to practice with and train the left hand, but all the subtle nuances of a good long whip are just not available.
But this wasn’t the case today as I was in the gym with the new 7 ft roohide whip.
This video is from the very beginning and the whip absolutely not broken in yet, but it worked well with both hands. At least I think so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erucOTeVh ... e=youtu.be

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”