10/10 Challenge the Circus Crack March 1st to March 10th 2020

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

10/10 Challenge the Circus Crack March 1st to March 10th 2020

Post by Ron May »

We will be starting the 10/10 challenge with the circus crack / cattleman's crack.

It's 10 days for 10 min. That's the challenge.

I would suggest going back, to those of us who know this crack, to Robby's Beginners Guide Vol. I

For beginners it's a perfect place to start as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWZkeGKToUo&t=33s

Upload a video of it if you can and if you can't don't worry about it just tell us how it went for you.

HAPPY CRACKING EVERYONE !

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

This is great, Ron! Count me in! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

PS - It might be fun if member indicate what whip (or whips) they use for these cracks....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I agree Mr. Robert.
At least material and length.

Ron
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Is it ok to put in pre-recorded videos as a starting point? In the last opportunity to practice in the gym I prepared some for the most basic cracks. For some of the cracks I can practice indoor with a short 3 ft, otherwise „stick of death“. Next opportunity is probably in one or two weeks. The usual practice area near the rhine is closed due to bridge construction work and inaccessible because of high water anyway.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Wolfgang, I for one will not be making any videos! I simply don't have the facility to do it.

Couldn't you find some spot where you could (quietly) crack for just ten minutes? If not, I don't see why using a 3-foot whip shouldn't be acceptable.
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Robert, let’s put it this way: The few places with lawn are not an option and otherwise it’s only asphalt and concrete. This would turn into a „one hour for 10 minutes“ thing because I really have to drive some miles.
But I can do quite a few cracks with the 3 ft indoors and I‘ll do just that. (For the coachman’s and underhand flick I‘ll have to find some other place ;) )
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

I really want to join, this will be fun. I can't practise in house, so It'll be an extra challenge to defy strong wind and muddy puddles.

Any tips on how to clean and dry a nylon whip? :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Julia, I just use a little mild soap and warm (not hot) water, with a soft brush. I pat it dry with a towel, and then hang it up where there's some slight movement of air, so it won't mildew. Easy! :)
'Less is often more!'
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

Thanks Robert.
Tine Matthiesen

Post by Tine Matthiesen »

Hello my dears

I am also there. Suitable for this is the meeting of the whip athletes in the city park and very nice spring weather. It is something new from the game that we know from the monthly round table and maybe also someone who builds the second whip. In any case, the whips are exchanged and tested. I'm happy for that .

Have a wonderful weekend end

Best regards
Tine
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Thanks Ron ☺️
I will use this opportunity to work only with my left hand.
Consider me as a beginners then ☺️
Today is a good day
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

It's very windy here, but in my back yard, I'm mostly protected from it.

It's amazing how much we have to relearn if we don't keep at it.

Yes, the whip cracked, but the form was horrendous.
Just to keep from practicing bad form, I would throw the whip and count to 10 as in 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand..... while visualizing the crack as it should be.

Towards the end of the 10 minutes it slowly started to become better and more consistent.

Still work to be done.

Ron
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Good evening!

So this is what it looked like 3 weeks ago with a 5 ft kudu leather stockwhip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMu813bX8aY

The „most simple“ of all cracks was suddenly quite a challenge. With my heavy and slow practice whip by Jessie I got used to a certain motion and rhythm which didn’t work for this whip... I found I had to wait a little longer (coachman’s crack style) and then really snap the wrist down to make it work. And as I expected I felt much more comfortable with the right hand.
Today, half an hour ago, I used a short 3 ft bullwhip which is almost „wrist only“ and while I still found it to be more accurate with the right hand I think the difference wasn’t that big between left and right. This will change significantly with the other cracks, but first things first.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jor_2LYdhIY

The next days I‘ll focus on finding the point where it just barely cracks and don’t use more force than needed. The cracks were too loud for my taste and I have neighbors ;)
And I have to take some seconds rest between cracks. But when I‘m in a groove I just keep going.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you for posting the videos.
I love the slow-motion. It really shows the loop and and how it travels down the thong.
It's looking pretty good.

Ron
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Thank you Ron. I think in the first video the follow-through is...not good. Instead of waiting one second after the crack I should just go ahead. Don’t worry about the crack.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

You're right Wolfgang.

Ron
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

I was able to get 10 minutes in last night using my left hand even though I was at work. It still feels considerably more awkward with my left hand, but that is the point of the 10/10, to get rid of that awkward feeling. I used my Sui Generis Practical Whip for the exercise.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Tine Matthiesen

Post by Tine Matthiesen »

I use a black 5ft paracord bullwhip with a leather belly. It is not particularly cracking, but okay as a beginner's piece.
The sequence of movements is honed. You got used to a little nonsense at first.
It takes time to film yourself to see how much can be changed. It is exciting to see how something is slowly happening.
If satisfaction is achieved in the 10 days, the arm will be changed.

In this sense
happy cracking
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

My practice today is a small step above yesterday, because I knew from yesterday what to watch out for on day two.
Focusing on an imaginary point on the "horizon" does help to keep the flow from one crack to another more consistent.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”