My whip building thread

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

You're getting it Julia. Hang in there. All it takes is paying attention to detail and practice.

Remember, even if it looks a little wonky, it will be covered with either another belly or a TH knot. But do practice until you are satisfied with it.

Here's another great example of a how to do it.

viewtopic.php?id=4608

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Julia, when you came around with that last strand from the right to the left you should have gone underneath the bottom strand on the left. Then, and this is the part that tripped me up, then your next strand after you put on the whip will also come from the right side, around the back of the whip and plaited into the left side. That should sort it out for you, I think.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

That is some great advice Mark, thank you very much. I'll try again (hopefully) later today.

Ron, I can't seem to access that link, but I'll try again with the etra advice from Mark. And you're absolutely right (again! :)), the wonky part will eventually be covered indeed. But some more practising, even though it's somewhat frustrating, won't do me any harm. ;)
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Mark has you going! Just know it won’t be long, because you practice, you will do it in your hand and place it on the whip much more quickly without even thinking about it! You’re doing great!
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Julia try this one.
viewtopic.php?id=4608

The other one is from the F&Q section that's only available to full members. Sorry about that.

Ron
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

I'm not quite sorting it out yet Mark. ;) I keep ending up (have tried a couple of times) with a space on the right side that I think shouldn't be there. I must be doing something wrong and one day, I'll figure it out. As a beginner it doesn't click (yet), I think I need more plaiting experience before I understand the reasoning behind the square start. And that is absolutely ok.

I'm thinking of doing a regular wobbly start (my specialty, I should do a tutorial on those) instead of the square start. And then start braiding the first belly, while I keep on practising the square start at other occasions (i.e. the next belly and the overlay).

Ron, I'm bookmarking both your links for future reference. Thanks! (I think the second link is for full members only as well.)

Here's the new start:

And the wonky part and space on the right when I continu plaiting (starting from the top strand on the right side) after I put the start on the handle:
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

I apologise in advance for what is going to (probably) be the longest whip build thread in WB history. ;)

I tried a square start once more, for 8 plait that is. I went with this picture: https://cdn.instructables.com/F5N/5HGC/ ... it=bounds..

And I managed to get this:

Then this:

And now I have this:

It is still a wonky start (and it feels somewhat like a newborn calf trying to stand for the first time), but it will be my start of this belly. Phew. ;)

And now I really need to give my partner some well earned attention as he had been quite patient all evening and has been silently watching me struggle while not laughing. :D
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Julia, that looks a lot better! Well done! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Julia, that's what's known as a "crown start".
Mostly used when separating the colors with one color on the left and one color on the right, for fancy plaiting designs.

It will work too, but it's not as quite as neat as the square start for non-fancy plaiting.
But it's better than the "Nick loop" start.

Ron
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

A crown start, eh? That is good to know. Thanks for the explenation Ron. That means the square start is still to be conquered.

Robert, thanks! I hope the start of the second belly will be even better.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Julia, I've read your thread with interest. It's really great to see someone develop like you do.
You've been given tips and help and you actively use the help and put the tips to good use.
And it definitly shows in your work.

Keep it up, I'm really curious for the end result.

Sven
Julia De Jong

Post by Julia De Jong »

Thanks Sven! I'm looking forward to the end result as well. :D

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”