Little Dogie

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Mark Elliott

Little Dogie

Post by Mark Elliott »

I sold a fellow a stock whip a couple of weeks ago and he contacted me a few days after he received it and asked me about making a small cow whip. After a few days of looking at photos ( I had directed him to my Palo Duro Whips blog) and talking with him over the phone and via texts, he decided on a 6 ft, all black, cow whip with a 12-inch padauk handle similar to one I had made and sold last year. He specified that it was to be as light as possible, with 2 bellies, TT core, and an English eye fall hitch. He also wanted a TT fall. So that's what we did. The bellies were a 6-plait and an 8-plait and the overlay was a 12-plait. This was the first time I had ever done an EE into a TT tail, but it wasn't any problem to figure out. The worst part was that Face Plait went down just as I was starting the whip and I hadn't saved any earlier designs-they are too easy to just draw up. I also like plaiting from the screen, just do a row and hit the space key and do the next row. So I had to draw the plaiting changes manually and, except for one that I drew wrong and wasted a whole afternoon trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, it went pretty easy. Thanks, Collin, for posting those blank axonometric graphs. The whip weighed 15 ounces after waxing, handle and all, so that is the lightest whip I've ever made except for that 5 ft, 1 belly stock whip last year. It's a little light in the tip, but it still handles very well. I even used it in 20 mph winds and it still did ok, the wind tossed it back at me one time and that was all.

Anyway here's the photos See Michael, we do talk about whips here.

Part of a 200+ herd of American Bison just north of Lake Meredith. Hybrids from the Charles Goodnight Herd probably. I read somewhere that the only pure blood American Bisons that are left are the Yellowstone herd.

https://youtu.be/hGg11jWj1LI
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I love it, very well done, Mark! The handle is fantastic, and so is the thong. Plaiting looks excellent, and you just get better and better.
Inch by inch.
Collin Weaver

Post by Collin Weaver »

Oh wow this is beautiful as usual! Again, the texture the fancy plait gives a monochrome whip is really nice.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I agree with Collin, I love a monochrome whip with fancy plaiting.
It makes it so simply complicatedly elegant.
Nicely done.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you Lady and Gentlemen, I appreciate it very much. You should all give yourselves a pat on the back because seriously, you all contribute to each whip.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

It looks great, Mark. I especially like the contrast between the black cord and the reddish wood in the handle.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you, Scott.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Very good, Mark! It certainly fulfills the commission very well, although I'd probably find it too light (and therefore too fast)....
'Less is often more!'
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you, Robert. It is very light. I couldn't tell much about its speed yesterday as the wind was blowing so hard. I think a heavier whip would have actually ben faster in that wind.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Beatiful Mark!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you, Jyri.
Andrew Van Werkhoven

Post by Andrew Van Werkhoven »

Ohhhh, i do like a nice black whip. Excellent patterns on the thong, one day perhaps I shall be brave enough to try something like that. Love the handle too :)
Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you, Andrew. I don't think you would have any trouble with it, it just takes patience and practice.

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”