Whips by Ethan Mitchell

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

I really like those handles, Ethan.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Scott,
That is actually just one. Unfortunately I must of turned the knob too thin as it cracked pretty bad overnight, I'll have to take it off and try again... Not a big deal so far as it is just a handle, and an experimental one at that.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks guys! Right now they are bound and ready for the next belly. I'll have to get some more pics before I start the bellies. So far for the first belly they flow pretty good and the transitions and overall tension of the thongs is very, very, close.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

A senior citizen drove his brand new Corvette convertible out of the dealership. Taking off down the road, he floored it to 80 mph, enjoying the wind blowing through what little gray hair he had left.

"Amazing," he thought as he flew down US Highway 83, pushing the pedal even more. Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw a state trooper behind him, lights flashing and siren blaring.

He floored it to 100 mph, then 110, then 120. Suddenly he thought, "What am I doing? I'm too old for this," and pulled over to await the trooper's arrival.

Pulling in behind him, the trooper walked up to the Corvette, looked at his watch, and said, "Sir, my shift ends in 10 minutes. Today is Friday. If you can give me a reason for speeding that I've never heard before, I'll let you go."

The old gentleman paused. Then he said, "Years ago, my wife
ran off with a State trooper. I thought you were bringing her back."

"Have a good day, sir," replied the trooper.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Also, Mr. Dante kindly put up my site on his bullwhip index! So once I finish building the whips I am working on and get them up for sale, I'll be in business.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

I see, Ethan. I've been a bit off lately, so seeing double is not entirely out of the question! ;)
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

I've put the matched set aside for the moment and have been working on Australian stockwhips again. I made one thong using Adam Winch's design that Nick demonstrated in his latest video, the handle I made before watching the video so it is a bit different. For example a 5 plait keeper and 16 half-plait grip instead of the 7 plait keeper and 12 plait grip prescribed in Nick's video. And the second whip has a 6' thong based on percentages derived from the drop points given in the video, and a handle built on a 3/4" paduak dowel rod with a 20 plait grip and doubled 8 by 9 turks head knot. I've taken detailed notes on the second one, so depending on how it performs after waxing I might make a match for it.

*I'll get some pictures taken tomorrow afternoon.*
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Here are some pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2xAbQFhhXCJ2L4o9
The whip with a brown thong is based mostly on Nick's latest video, the all-black stockwhip is my version based on it. I did several things differently like using a light layer of sinew to keep all the strands together, and bound a bit where the braiding ends on the belly to guarantee that the braiding inside will never undo. As well as, braiding the belly down farther dropping two strands.
The last two pictures are of whip #14, that gold stockwhip thong I was working on. The upper turned out too small so I put some added binding on it and plaited a nice carapace in midnight blue. I tried turning a handle for it, but ended up with the cup hole being way out of line, I need a new set of centers for my lathe as the ones I have right now are a bit small for what i'm doing. Anyway, as soon as i get what I need I'll turn a handle for it. I am planning on using leopard wood, which goes beautifully with the thong.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

I will be putting the black stockwhip up for sale on my facebook page for $150+ shipping. But if anyone is interested... :)
Collin Weaver

Post by Collin Weaver »

Nice job Ethan! I like the plaiting patterns on the red handle one. It sounds like you made about the same alterations to the Adam/Nick design that I did. How do you feel about the keeper loop distances? For me, the first was too tight, the second a little loose. I made the thong keeper have "15" bights instead of the 11 (if I remember correct) on the second and it was a little big. 12-13 might seem perfect for me, or I might try 2 layers of flat braid to bulk it up next time?
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

For me the first one the keepers had a better fit, but that was probably because I made the handle before watching the video so it had a 5 plait keeper like the thong. The second one is a tad tighter due to the 7 plait stock keeper and larger dowel diameter. I personally am going to use the typical nylon thong (with a keeper on both the the belly and overlay) construction in future stockwhips. But, I like how a faster taper performs on stockwhips.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Hey Y’all!
I was recently able to do some more work on a whip I started awhile ago. Hope you guys are doing good!
https://i.imgur.com/oLagq3T.jpg
Handle still needs finishing touches before epoxy, then just a fall and cracker.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Hey Mitchel, it's good to see you.

Ron
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Whip #16 is complete. Four strand 650 tapered twist core with one belly and 24 plait over lay in 275 cord. 16 plait carapace and grip in 650 cord. 18 bight 16 part two pass herringbone knot for the heel knot with a 1” wooden concho. 7’ long with a 10” fiberglass handle core. I just finished the heel and waxed it. This was inspired by several people, one of the more obvious being Tyler Blake and his exo-whips.

Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ethan, very nicely done. Your skill level has improved quite a bit.
I like the use of the 275. I personally think the narrower width cord is getting closer to what a leather whip would act and feel like.
It's a lot more work and cord, but it's worth it.

How does it crack?

Ron
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Here is a link to an album of clearer photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aQMmv8wA9bWnW9kF9
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks Ron, it cracks well. It is much lighter and faster than my 7’ Amper Style
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Here is a video of it in motion
https://youtu.be/TTj-Q-UosxI
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ethan, nice job on the whip and the crackin'.
It looks like it cracks like butter.

Ron

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”