New Projects

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Jesse Bessette

New Projects

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I realized I haven't really kept you all up to date on the projects I've done recently. I've built two whip using the same plaiting pattern, but I'm only posting one picture because the second whip was plain black. So anyways, both of them had English eye hitches (Sparky helped me a lot in figuring out how to start one, as well as the thread on here that somebody, maybe it was Ben but I'm having trouble remembering). The thong is plain ol' herringbone, while the handles were done,with short herringbone, or I've heard eight point herringbone is another name for it.

The blue and gray one is for stock at the events I have coming up, while the black was donated to charity.

Also, the plaiting was completed, but I have not put the knots on it. I'm getting all the plaiting done, then I will do all the knots, rather than breaking out the tools for the second part without having finished the plaiting process.

When it is done, I will post pictures of the 10 footer in this same thread.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

It looks very nice Jesse!
I have yet to try the short herringbone.
Looking forward for that 10 footer!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

That's a nice looking whip, Jesse. Like those colors.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jesse, that looks really nice.
I love the color pattern.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Jesse, your work has improved so much! Don't get me wrong, it was good to start with, but wow that looks FANTASTIC!!!!!
Inch by inch.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Jyri, thank you. I really just chose three colors that I like the look of together out of what I had in stock. I am pretty happy with how the combo came out. Also, the short herringbone is plaited like the double diamond, but you move one strand at a time.

Mark, thank you. It rolled out nice and smooth. I will say. The transition is a little stiff, but will break in nicely.

Ron, the colors were sort of just what I had in stock. I'm doing much the same on the ten foot. I'll have a couple possible options, but will have to see which I have the cord for.

Rachel, thank you. I don't think i would have progressed this far if not for the help you all have given me. I went back and tried one of my first whips, and there are some big differences between those and what I'm making now.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

That's very sharp looking, Jesse. Well done!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Georg Ernst

Post by Georg Ernst »

Good Morning,

the colors really look great together. Short Herringbone always looks good, but with certain color combinations it can also backfire. but you've hit the colors well.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jesse, this is going to be good!
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Jesse, that looks very, very good and I second what Rachel posted!

All the best
Ben
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy with how that one came out. I brought it out for some testing yesterday, and it is a very whip. Also, for those of you who enjoy building bizarre hybrid monstrosities, I found out that a leather fall attaches to an English eye paracord whip very well. It worked on that one at least.
-Mark Twain
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jesse, I have several paracord whips with leather falls. They work very well!
'Less is often more!'
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

I can understand why one would want to put a paracord fall on a leather whip (durability, cost, etc.), but why would one add a leather fall to a paracord whip? Is there some advantage that I'm not seeing?
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Scott, I have no theory about this - I just tried it, and it seemed to work!
'Less is often more!'
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Scott, there are several things that a paracord fall cant do that a leather one can. For instance, wraps. The leather fall binds on itself much better than paracord. The nylon tends to just slip off itself. The whip is going to a friend of mine who performs with it. Because of that, and the fact that he does wraps with them, a leather fall is necessary.
-Mark Twain
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Work continues on the 10 footer. Here is a picture of it at 12 plait. I am really liking these colors together.

-Mark Twain
Herbert Tardy

Post by Herbert Tardy »

Verrrrry nice. I also couldn't help noticing your precision binding. :)
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Herbert, Thank you. Its a little time consuming, but getting even spacing with the binding makes a world of difference. I experimented using a bowyer server, and it worked great. I got a lot more tension on the sinew with it.
-Mark Twain
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

That makes sense. Thanks, Jesse!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Looks good, Jesse. I really like my serving tool as well. I've only done closed loop with it, though, no open loop binding.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”