The "Making of" Gallery - Tyler Blake

This new Gallery replaces the former "Masters Gallery", which will work from now on as pure archive. Here you will find not only the work and art from folks who sell whips, but also from folks, who create their whips out of pure passion. And we have an additional gallery. It is called "The Gallery - Making of".
Nadine Diek

Post by Nadine Diek »

Tyler, great work. The whips look fantastic. I like the fancy plaiting on the handle and the colour combination on your newest work. White, black and especially the red highlights look awesome together :)
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Absolutely beautiful, Tyler!!! You have been very busy ;) Elegant as always!
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

These are great Tyler (though I don't especially care for the pink). The black and white is stunning!
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

After Rachels latest pictures and now this I am even more curious, how a stockwhip feels like / cracks. I assume these work especially well with things like overhead figure8. And of course they look really beautiful.
One day I gotta have one of those. ;)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I think, Tyler should bear the name of "Pattern King". I mean...look at his "Bele and Lokai" twin whips. Not only complicated and perfect (!) plaiting, but the same thing twice - and mirrored! And now those beauties. I am with Robert, when he says that he's not a huge fan of pink. But - tastes are different, right?

And as I always use to say: One reads Tolstoi's "War and Piece" and sees it as some simple adventure story. The other one reads something from Lao Tse on the paper of a chewing gum and the universe reveals its secrets to him.

For most people, pink won't be the color of choice. But for somebody this will be a dream that became true. Great work, Tyler. I'm really happy to see these from your hands, because your drawings became so good, that I was frightened you could stop whip making. But I told you that already :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Georg Ernst

Post by Georg Ernst »

Absolutely beautiful.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Thanks so much Nadine, Rachel, Robert, Wolfgang, Robby, and Georg!

Robert, would you believe that is actually crimson? Partly I was surprised when I saw the crimson color, and partly I think it's a case of digital color warping. In person it looks like it has a lot of gray in it.

Wolfgang, a stockwhip certainly feels different than a bullwhip, I don't say one is better but rather it's a matter of preference. I personally prefer a long handled bullwhip, I feel that they flow more smoothly, but stockwhips change directions like nobody's business. Arrowhead patterns are good for these, and also you're correct about the overhead figure 8. :)

Robby, I thank you for the compliments on my plaiting and my art, but I'm ot going to stop making whips :) I think I will suspend my order book for awhile, because I am booked into 2020! :o It's true that art is my first love before whips, but I love making whips too. My grand scheme is definitely to get to the point where I can make a living with my art, and continue to do whips on the side as I have been for all these years - I'm not going anywhere Pardner! :D
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Good to hear, Tyler. Don't want to lose you as a whip maker. This pair are lovely, great patternwork.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

2020...? That‘s a lot of orders. Congratulations, Tyler. I remember our first contact, long years ago. Since then you asked me for advice. Now you are booked out for years. That‘s what I call a success. And - good to know that you will stay with us, Pardner ;)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Booked into 2020? That's a pretty good problem to have!! ;) Congratulations on the growth of your business, Tyler!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Whoa thats a long line :D
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Thanks y'all! A lot of that is that I allow a more realistic time in my order book for how long it's going to take to finish, and I leave blank spots when I know I'm going to busy with art or family stuff, and for experimenting with new designs. For every custom order I allow one month on my schedule, I used to try and schedule 3 or 4 a month and I was always way behind.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

This was a recently completed 8.5 foot bullwhip, it had a loaded first belly like I do on my night trains, and on this one the customr requested a traditional fall hitch. I get that once in a while.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Looks superb, Tyler! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Looks super Tyler.
I like the copper ferules.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

I like the ferrules and, especially, the plaiting on the handle. It's subtle, but provides a nice treat for those taking a closer look. Nice work, Tyler.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Gorgeous whip, Tyler.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Nice! I like the handle plaiting
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Robert, Ron, Scott, MArk, and Ethan, thanks! It's kind of nice to get to do a single color whip here and there and do the more subtle single color pattern on the handle .
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Its always fun to hunt for the subtle little features that make your whips so attractive. This one doesn't disappoint. Beautiful work Tyler
He died for me, I'll live for him

Return to “Makers and Masters (+++public thread+++)”