The "Making of" Gallery - Giovanni Celeste

This new Gallery replaces the former "Masters Gallery", which will work from now on as pure archive. Here you will find not only the work and art from folks who sell whips, but also from folks, who create their whips out of pure passion. And we have an additional gallery. It is called "The Gallery - Making of".
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Rachel McCollough wrote:You always continue to set the bar higher. Well done, well done!
Many thanks my friend the secret to set the bar higher is wrote below my signature and says:
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". ;-)
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Nadine Diek

Post by Nadine Diek »

Ah, thank you. Thought it might have been cowhide.
Great work :) looks beautiful.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Gio, for some reason I am unable to see your photos. I'm sure, however, that the results of your work are superb.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Hello Scott,
Thanks for letting me know.
I'm sorry for this but there are some updates on my site..
For this reason you can't see the pics..
I think you'll be able to see it in a few hours.
Another good reason to be back :).
Thanks again
Gio
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Gio, they're back and spectacular. I do love that watch band!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Wow Gio! Your plaiting is so straight! Love the Indy bull.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Dear Friends,
This is a good occasion to wish you all a Very Buon Natale.
I take this opportunity to share some of my works made in the last months.
Marry Cracking Christmas.

Target whip 5' 12 plt with Handle 12''

8' Modern Indy Style "short handle" with saddle leather fall

Autumn leaves and Whip:
Bullwhip 12 plt with slightly tapered handle.
Green forest and brown

Matched pair whips Snakebull 3ft made for Flemming Bo Christiansen

Matched pair whips are much more than a couple of whips with the same length, color and plaiting pattern.
I know it's practically impossible replicate exactly two whips but - according to my opinion - it is possible to reach a result very close to the exact copy of a whip with the other.
Each steps that I've done was done keeping in mind the final result in terms of diameter of the handle, diameter and distance of the knots, number of pattern on the handle and so on..
For this reason in order to make the two whips much more similar not only aesthetically, but especially in the aspect of functionality, the elasticity and weight, each phase of the construction was repeated immediately on the other whip, even the same part of the hide and the same numbers of shot in the leather core.
All these steps make the construction process much longer.
So I’m happy and a little bit proud of the whole result.
Thanks to my friend Flemming Bo Christiansen who gived to me the opportunity to realize these artefact.
Thanks again Giovanni Celeste

Another "Don Juan De la Celeste" Zorro Style.
16plt 6.5ft

Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I love the contrasting color of the transition knot on the target whip! It is elegant and appears to be built to slice through the air straight as an arrow.

The Autumn Leaves whip is really different from others you have done, the colors go together beautifully. It is a piece of art...

Matched pair of SnakeBull... Flemming is a very lucky man!!!!!

The "Don Juan De la Celeste" Zorro Style is amazing. Gio, your work is beyond words. Spectacular, wonderful, elegant.... Not enough to describe this work.

You already know... I LOVE the heel knots :D :D
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Gio, these whips are marvelous.
I would love to see some more input on other threads here on WB from you.
Roll Call would be a good one. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Beatiful work Gio!
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Dear Rachel many thanks for your kind and rich feedback.
As always Your kindness is equal only to your sweetness.
Thanks again

Rachel McCollough wrote:I love the contrasting color of the transition knot on the target whip! It is elegant and appears to be built to slice through the air straight as an arrow.

The Autumn Leaves whip is really different from others you have done, the colors go together beautifully. It is a piece of art...

Matched pair of SnakeBull... Flemming is a very lucky man!!!!!

The "Don Juan De la Celeste" Zorro Style is amazing. Gio, your work is beyond words. Spectacular, wonderful, elegant.... Not enough to describe this work.

You already know... I LOVE the heel knots :D :D
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Hi Ron many thanks indeed.
Belive me I would like to have more time to follow other important pages of WB forum. I have also stopped to following other forums.
I can't promise what I can't guarantee but I will try to to follow other pages of the forum.
Thanks again for your advice :)
Ron May wrote:Gio, these whips are marvelous.
I would love to see some more input on other threads here on WB from you.
Roll Call would be a good one. :)

Ron
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Jyri Haveri wrote:Beatiful work Gio!
Many thanks Jyri!!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Beautiful work, Gio, as always.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Many thanks Mark!!
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Gio, these are beautiful! I am particularly drawn to the Zorro whip, though, because of its coloring. I love the contrast between jet black and silver. Merry Christmas and all the best for the coming New Year!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Gio, these are all stunning - as ever! Your craftsmanship is quite superb!
'Less is often more!'
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Thanks so much Scott and Robert and again Merry Christmas!
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Hi All,
I'm very glat to introduce you THE CROP WHIP

Here below all the specs about my 5th review made in the 2018 for Whip Basics.
You can see the full review at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkxB8wq5yU0&t=2s

Thanks Robby for your time and effort.
I like so much this new "shape" of the video in particolar, the background, the rhythm of the narrative, the pics and obviously how the whip rolls with elegance in your arms!
Another aspect that I liked ( just present in the Zorro review) is hearing your voice that tells the philosophy of whipmaker behind the whip.
According my opinion this give a sort of added value to the whole review.
It's a sort of "certificate" of the work and you have the sensation (when you see the pics and at the same time listen to the words) that is the same whip to speak...
What can I say Congrats, congrats and congrats.
Thanks guys for your kind feedback, really appreciated.

Again thanks
Giovanni Celeste

THE PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THE CROP WHIP:
This time I wanted to create a whip strongly inspired by the English equestrian world. In particular: riding whips, hunting whip and walking sticks.
The idea behind it was to make a whip starting from the shape of a riding crop and make a whip that reminiscent a riding crop with a continuous taper right from the handle. It’s a very fast whip Color:
The choice of a brown wasn't random but closely related to philosophy beyond this kind of whip.
I wanted to give to the whole whip the aged look and the shape and the look of a classic and traditional British Victorian riding crop.
For this goal there's nothing better than brown color with a very lite shade of cherry color.
To reach this particular shade of brown I had to add a percentage of water. This is not my choice but is the tradition and as you know the Brits are very traditional for this thinks.

Pattern of the overlay
The choice of the pattern is mandatory: Just a simple and sober Herringbone pattern for the full length of whip what else! According to my opinion the continuous pattern definitely adds simple yet beautiful aesthetics.
It should allow the flexibility of the handle.
In order to give an even more classic and vintage look to the whole whip, I have preferred bevel the underside of the leather instead of the opposite sides.

The heel knob
The hell knob made of antique pewter with an engraving in diamond pattern pattern refers to the classic English walking sticks.
Even my logo at the butt of the hell knob has been antiquated.

The Handle
As i’ve just wrote before the idea behind it was to make a whip starting from the shape of a riding crop and make a whip that reminiscent a riding crop with a continuous taper right from the handle.
The 55cm long handle is made of Teflon material present in modern riding crops.
Teflon is a flexible and very elastic material it's resistant to very strong stresses without breaking. It was shaped by hand by adding continuous layers of adhesive paper to reach the desired shape.

The Cracker
Obviously also the choice of the color of the cracker was not accidental. A classic red cracker like those found in Hunting whips.

THE WHIP
The whip is 6,5 ft long with 55 cm of shaped Teflon handle and the overlay plaited with 16 strands, dyed by hand ending to 8 plaited point.

THE INTERNAL CONSTRUCTION FEATURES
A very short shot bag where two different lead shot with different diameter are put inside of paracord cable.
Double cow hide core (for better gain and responding )
Four plait kangaroo belly ¾ of the whip long Cowhide bolster.
In every layers of the whip there is a long binding over the handle in order to give and add more leverage for more cracking routines.
Each braided part of the whip after to be cutted it was preliminary: Stretched, Resized, Splitted and Bevelled.

Andrew Van Werkhoven

Post by Andrew Van Werkhoven »

I adore your autumn leaves whip Giovanni. For some reason, I generally prefer the look of paracord whips (just a personal taste thing), but your whips are true works of art, thank you for sharing :)
Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

Return to “Makers and Masters (+++public thread+++)”