Video #001

Robby Amper

Video #001

Post by Robby Amper »

Here is the video, I promised. When you watch it in full, you will see and understand why it was necessary to produce this video. I am not prepared to see customers, spending their money for bullshit like this. To only talk about it is useless. But the pictures speak a clear language. And - yes - I received emails, in which I was threatened. Somehow. The usual nonsense like „If you do these videos, we will visit you!“ Of course everything anonymous…

I know that there are people, who will literally hate me for these videos. But I am big guy with wide shoulders. And as long as I know that it helps people who are interested in buying a quality whip, those haters can say and post what ever they want. Probably they should hope and pray that not another customer sends me one of their whips for an inspection.

https://youtu.be/dMNpMoPnHeI

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, thank you very much indeed for making this available. I look forward to watching it with the greatest attention - but that won't be this evening. There's a small task I must try to finish tonight, if I can....
'Less is often more!'
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Well done Robby!
Facts, facts ,facts and proof for them.
Looking forward for next one.
Keep up the good work!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I can't believe that any monetary value could have been put on this whip.
It's not even worthy for a non functional costume whip.

And that heel knot. WTF ? I've seen mushrooms that have been stepped on look better than that.

Thanks for making this video and raising awareness of another crappy whip seller. I don't even call her (?) a maker. She doesn't qualify.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Thanks for the video Robby.

Years ago I considered buying a whip from Gayle, but instead went with a redhide stockwhip kit from her. The kit was reasonably priced and well made/ cut out. Her instructions were very clear with lots of good tips and advice on whipmaking. I find it hard to believe she would sell such cheaply made whips but the video doesn't lie. Just looking at the handle it told me who made it. Her design and style is unique. Hopefully she will change her ways.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

You know, a person can spend their hard earned money and get this for a whip. They contact the maker and... Nothing.
No repercussions for the whip"maker".
Until Now!
Thank you, Robby. I know it is not always easy, no matyer how broad your shoulders are. Just remember though, when you have all those angry emails and comments, etc.... That probably means you are doing a good, needed, and right thing.

You are advocating for folks who lack the platform to get any justice for the hard earned money they spent with a maker who sent them this kind of crap....

Knowledge is power if folks will use it. Customers can become informed, and "makers" can know that they either must advertise truthfully or they get to be featured...
Good!

Thank you, Robby. That kind of stuff for that kind of money is a slap in the face of years of traditional hard work.

By using the word "Traditional," we are claiming we are perpetuating that quality and standard from that line of makers for many years....

Do folks not realise we stand on the work and integrity of those that come before us???

Thank you for supporting and pushing for the education and true service for the customers.
Inch by inch.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Thanks so much Robby for this important video.
This video has a double good value for the young customers and for the respectable Whipmakers.
Some months ago I've opened a "Aussie" whip very close to the whip on your video.
It was bought from a customer friend of mine at the same price.
He told me to shoot some pics and describe the whip.
This what I've done:
I opened all the whip and shoots the pics for every steps and measuring and describing how it was done.
I preferred don't post these pics because being a Whipmaker my article could be judged incorrect.
But you are like an equidistant judge "super partes" thanks for what you do.
Gio
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Christopher Milton

Post by Christopher Milton »

My goodness.

I am a watchmaker by profession. It's a wonderful job. Occasionally we get knock offs that come in and they are much like this. Bad construction, shortcuts, and not worth the material they are made from.

Worst of all is that it tarnishes our brand and makes us look bad. It upsets the customer and puts them off of our product.

All of that applies here too.

I am glad to see you put this video forward and I hope that first time whip buyers stumble across it during their research so that they may educate themselves on what to look for and what not to accept.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Robby.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Thank you for the video Robby, I'll watch it tomorrow. I first need to catch some sleep.
I'm looking forward to it

Sven
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Good job, Robby. Thank you for doing this, I've only ever bought whips from the folks here, and and quite relieved now that I didn't buy one from anyone else.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I have not had a chance to watch it yet, but will as soon as possible.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I've now watched this very useful video. Robby, you are surely quite right to expose such poor work, sold for such a high price. Golly!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

It is a truly awful whip and the lack of communication from the whip maker is atrocious. I'd be interested to know if Robby tried to contact the whip maker as well. Her website is very appealing and it's easy to see why a newbie might be tempted to spend that kind of money on a whip.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Thank you for doing this video Robby.

Let us hope, that it will push just a little bit to the whipmakers, who runs a business like that. I think the sport could be spred much wider, if every customer would have a decent treatment and could buy a decent whip first time.

I just had a look at the bullwhips at the homepage of the whipmaker, and even on the pictures there you can see the badly made heel knot and the poor transition on a never used whip.
Today is a good day
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

As Flemming mentioned, the photos on her web page demonstrate a pattern of slipshod construction. The plaiting is uneven, with visible twists and gaps. The heel knots are atrocious and the crackers are identical to those shown in the video. From one end to the other, these are junk. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting consumer who hasn't had the opportunity to learn what a quality whip looks like. Thank you, Robby and Whip Basics!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I've just been on that site again and noticed she pretty much uses the same damn picture for all the various length and plait counts and it looks identical to the one Robby dissected. This is an absolute disgrace of a manufacturer.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

What a piece of garbage...

Not the video Robby! The whip, the whip...

I've actually once owned a whip which looked like this, it set me back 10 euros. Didn't do jack and ugly as h...

Anyway, thanks for this video and I really hope whipmakers will begin to think twice before selling something like this for such a high... very high price.

Sven
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Try to take your time to watch some of the video's on the page. You will see, that every thing is like Robby described it.
Today is a good day
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I went to her facebook page. The testimonials are obviously written by extreme newbies or under duress...https://www.facebook.com/aussiewhipmaher
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Jessie Edwards wrote:I went to her facebook page. The testimonials are obviously written by extreme newbies or under duress...https://www.facebook.com/aussiewhipmaher
And almost every "testimonial" does not have a name.

To be fair, and I posted this before, I bought a redhide stockwhip kit from Gayle. I found the quality to be good. Strands were cut and tapered evenly. Her instructions were clear and easy to follow. Construction of the whip did not take long and turned out really well. Price plus shipping was very reasonable. Overall the experience met my expectations. Looking at the whips she makes though, I wonder. Strands look correct in that they are tapered well and even width. Heel knots, just not my style or to my tastes. The transition looks weak; there is a sudden bend. Falls and crackers look too thick for the whip. Pictures do not show the insides though and after seeing Robby's autopsy of her whip I would not recommend one to anybody, at least not at the price she charges.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Return to “Shitty whip makers and ripped off customers (+++ public thread +++ )”