Target Stand. Or you can use it for jackets. And hats.

You can hit other persons onto their hands, until there's no one left who's holding you anything, or - you build a target stand. Great idea, by the way.
Robby Amper

Target Stand. Or you can use it for jackets. And hats.

Post by Robby Amper »

I made and used a lot of different target stands. They all had one thing in common (except holding the targets...) - they all were brown. Lighter or darker, but brown. So I came up with the idea to create a "modern" target stand with a silver base and black construction to use for my seminars and whip lessons. Here it's step by step. First the parts...

The big silver plate is an umbrella stand. It has a drainage hole in the base. Important, because this stand will spend a lot of time outdoors.

That collar will make sure that the wooden pole will be fixed safe and sound in the umbrella stand.

Here are the single parts again. The wooden parts are painted with a dark glaze.
Later on everything will be shiny, deep black.

This is the collar, where it'll be fixed a few steps later, in the umbrella stand.

This is the completed base with the wooden pole. It's not finished yet - I just it together to see if everything fits. And yes - it does :)

This is a veeeery fake preview - the cross brace is only there for the picture. I'm happy that it held long enough to take the picture...

Here the cross brace is prepared to be installed on the middle pole. It'll be fixed with white glue and a 6,5 inch center screw.

At the moment the whole thing is half black and the color needs some time to dry now. As soon as there are new pics - I'll post them. By the way - the center pole will have a pivoted padded insulating in the end. So it's good for target work & wraps. This one will also be higher than the usual 4 ft. It'll be about 5 ft. in height. Skip gave me the advice to have the targets in shoulder height; and so I gave it a try.

To hold the targets there will be two strong clamps. So I can use everything as target. Cardboard, Paper, Cups, Cable, Chocolate, Spaghetti, Bread sticks and so on.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Stephane Normand

Post by Stephane Normand »

looks good, Robby. The base you chose looks good and sturdy, it should hold up to quite a bit of abuse without tipping over.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

I'd be curious to hear how you like the taller height. Looks good!
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Everything's fixed now and the second layer of paint is on. I gave it a few test cracks - the height... - and I was surprised in two ways. First, how uncomfortable it was, and after five minutes and 20 cracks later, how comfortabale it is. In the beginning it was some strange feeling about the height, but when you crack relaxed, the crack is very easy in your own shoulder height. And now there is - that target stand :)

That "foam roll" does a pretty good job, too. Due to the fact, that it turns 360 degree very, very easily, the whip unrolls itself more or less. The umbrella stand can be made very heavy with water or sand, but I won't do anything like this. I want it to be as light as possible. The reason is this; When I wrap a living person, I have to be extremely careful. And when you have that lightweight (!) stand and you pull to heavy, it falls. That way you can not only practice your technique, you can also improve your "feeling" and how hard you wrap something- Or someone.

More pictures will follow.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Well, here's the finished piece. It's - let's say - a modern approach on the classic theme "target stand". What do you think?

Robby
Skip

Post by Skip »

looks good!!! I would call that "stage ready" :)
Dusty Damrel

Post by Dusty Damrel »

Robby,

Your stand looks "Store Bought". That's about the biggest compliment you can get in Texas. Nice job!!!

-Dusty
Pawel2506

Post by Pawel2506 »

looks great!! very modern. From all diferent target stands, this is the one I like the most :)

Pawel
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Thanks for your comments! That one turned out really nice. On to the next one :)

Robby

Return to “Target Stands (+++ public thread +++)”