Tell me your story

Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, it's very likely that not just the featured whipmaker, but also a whole lot of other people will respond negatively to your new video. I'm also with you 100%!

Ron, don't forget a shotbag filled with gold dust :) !

Robert, that must be a typo (the person who offered this whip probably hit the zero button three times more than actually intended), but even 10 pounds would be way to expensive!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wow Ben, what was I thinking to forget that? :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Yeah Ben and they were probably hoping someone might fall for it after the typo :D
Like Ron has said before a whip is worth what a person is willing to pay for it I guess lol
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I‘m pretty sure that there will be a whole lot of people, who will literally hate me. On the other hand there will be potential customers who will be grateful for the advice, where not to buy. Perhaps I should wear a black mask and call myself „The mysterious whip critics“. Or no mask at all and just as Robert Amper... I always was and am a man of my word. And if I have to say something, I sign it with my name.

The video will be released this week. It was neccessary to have all the papers which clearly indicate the seller and the amount of money. When I received the whip, I was speechless. I‘ve seen a whole lot of crap. But this is the queen of crap. Upfront info and teaser: For the binding there was no artificial sinew. It is a pretty simple and thin cord you use to secure a package, before you take it to the postal office. And...not more than 3 feet in length. That-is-all-on-binding.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

It will be extremely interesting to see the inside of the whip....
Inch by inch.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

I'll receive the notification on Youtube as you post the video. Can't hardly wait to see this whip.

Sven
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Robby, I feel like when I'm watching a suspensful part of a horror movie and the music is building up and I know I'm about to see something frighteneing :p
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Perhaps you should have one of those "This video may be disturbing to some viewers" disclaimers? ;)
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Scott A. Cary wrote:Perhaps you should have one of those "This video may be disturbing to some viewers" disclaimers? ;)
Exactly!
Inch by inch.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

"Viewer discretion required!" :o

I cannot wait to see the video.
Sven van Leeuwen

Robby, did you receive any more reaction of people who have been sold a shitty whip?

I'm very curious, also because it's so hard to believe that people would simple scam customers in such a way and get away with it.

I'm wondering if there's enough material to continu this theme?

Sven
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Nope. Unfortunately not. If that means that there are only good whip makers except the one I made the video - perfect. But to be honest...I don‘t think so. I know that there are a whole lot of unhappy customers, but if they don‘t contact me, I can‘t help them.

Legend or not.

Robby
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I'm sure another will come sooner or later. I've been told by at least 2 customers that they bought a bad whip. Whether it was a 19$ ebay special or not (like my first) no one will know unless they speak up.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I've bought at least three terrible whips over the years, but haven't mentioned them, as I failed to keep any documentation. :(
'Less is often more!'
Sven van Leeuwen

Robby, you are the Legend, however, even superheroes have a limit :)

Well, people indeed have to come forward with it.
I honestly also don't believe there are only good whip makers.
We'll see what the future brings.

Sven
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Sorry, but the only bad whips that I've handled were either novelty whips or my own ill conceived creations.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

It seems the problem is not just about exposing frauds, but getting their victims to get over their reluctance to name names.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Here you go, Tyler... It‘s amazing. Every now and then I hear from folks who are (literally!) shocked by some whip makers prices. For example: Nick Schrader charged 350.00 bucks for a 6ft. Nylon Whip. A nylon whip...!!! Not gold nor platinum. Just paracord. People ask me if that price is really justified. I say No. I tell them to make that public. And they are scared to do that. I can‘t help them.

Others send me pictures and ask about my opinion. I tell them what I think about what I can see. And as soon as I start to become serious, they back off. Given that, 99.9% of all whip makers are totally good. If they use e-tape in their whips, have wobbly heel knots, transitions like wet noodles...those ripped off customers don‘t dare to tell the truth.

If they don‘t go out into daylight - I can‘t help them. Right?

Robby
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Robby, without someone like you to educate the public, there would be no transparency about what to look for when considering buying a whip or which methods or materials are quality and which are not.

I don't know what a fair price would be for a 6' quality whip made by a reputable maker would be, but I believe $350 is way too much no matter who makes it. This can change depending on handle patterns and ferrules and cabochons and such which might justify that price but not a plain Jane 6' whip.

Keep up the good work being an educator and instructor in the fine art of making and throwing a whip.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Ron, thank you for your comment. But I made a mistake. It is 350.00 for a 7 footer - no ferrule. Simple standard. And while you get a highly advanced whip with wooden handle and fancy plaiting for 250.00 bucks from well known (and known for their quality!) whip makers, you‘ll have a simple 4 ft. nylon whip from Nick‘s whip shop...

Just think about that - a standard bullwhip, 4 ft. length. No Ferrule. 250.00 (!!!) USD. Of course everybody can pay as much as he/she wants to pay. But there is absolutely no need to pay such a high price, which is not justified in any way. But - like I said - everybody is entitled to call every price. The art is, to find someone who is willing to pay that price.

Anyway. As long as people are afraid to tell the truth; or ask for advice - I can‘t help them. In fact...nobody can help them.

Robby

Return to “Shitty whip makers and ripped off customers (+++ public thread +++ )”