Tell me your story

Robby Amper

Tell me your story

Post by Robby Amper »

As you know, I am planning on producing videos on “whip makers” that I would not recommend to customers. It‘s not about smear campaigns or damaging people‘s businesses; however, when it comes down to the question if I think it‘s better to stop people who lie to customers and deliver cheap crap for a lot of money, or to go along with customers, who pay a whole lot of money for cheap crap... I’m with the customers.

It was pointed out to me, that such a bad review can seriously damage a whipmaker’s reputation and in that way, the income of a whip maker if I do such a video, all I can say is: Good.

I know a whole lot of passionate and honorable whip makers, who deliver first class quality for the money they get. I also know “whip makers” who use e-tape and shrink tubing instead of binding and as knot foundations. Cheap - yes. Fast? Extremely fast. Using these products saves the whipmaker a lot of working time and guarantees a fast buck for the seller.

Is it good for the customer? No. Definitely not.

I need you, members of the forum or guests who read this. In order to make this fair, I need your help.

First of all - your name will never be revealed. Only you and I would know. I know that even members of this forum paid a lot of money and all they received was crap. Cheap and useless. Perhaps they are good looking. I mean - a nice overlay covers up a whole lot of e-tape and other shit that is used inside, right? Good whipmakers are getting emails all the time: “I bought a crappy whip. Can you make me a good one?” So... If you like to support me in that enterprise and you think that you’ve been betrayed by one of those conmen, write to me and send me the respective whip. I will inspect it, inspect how it works, take it apart and make a video that will be published on YouTube. For everybody to see! Give me the name of the “whip maker” who sold you a worthless piece of crap and a copy of the invoice. The invoice is important to know who made that whip and what was paid.

Now, if someone buys a cheap Mexican whip for 15.00 USD, you have no right to complain. But, if you pay 200.00 USD and then find out all you have is crap with no attempt by the maker to fix the situation, it’s time to make it public.

What do you think?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

This won't apply to me personally, but I think it's a good idea.
A receipt as mandatory ........ absolutely.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

It is no secret, that I am angry about the way bad whipmakers are running their business. One thing is the business, but they manage to take the fun and entusiasm out of first time buyers, because a beginner will never manage to learn to crack a whip in a controlled way with a shitty whip.

Some time ago I made a post in the Whip-section. I still have what is left from the whip and some HQ photos.

If ican be used in some way or another I will send it. I also have the e-mail communication, where I am ansked to measure my hand so that the whipmaker can make correct size of heel knot especially for me.

Here is a link to the thread:

viewtopic.php?id=6088
Today is a good day
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Very intriguing and a good way to go about it!

I know there will be naysayers, but to me the message is clear:
Dnot want to be featured in this series?
Be honest with your clients. Charge fair market value according to the level of your work.
DON'T TURN OUT CRAPPY WORK AND MAKE EXCUSES ABOUT IT!

If it pushes for a higher standard in whipmaking (which it does) then I say good. It is not from malicious intent.

It is for the GOOD of the customer.

Good.
Inch by inch.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

I know that sometimes people are hesitant to name names, but in this case I hope they do. Everytime someone lets a dishonest ped son get away with a bad business deal, they enable that person to rip off the next person.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Yes, I think the maker of .!_$:+/# will be named.

The customer will not.
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Precisely. And as I said - if anyone wants to contact me in private, his/her name will never be revealed. Therefore I need to see the invoice and the the whip to prevent acts of revenge. That is absolutely not the idea.

Robby
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Robby, that's a good idea, it also protects you from being "set up" by someone who doesn't like us/you. Remember how fishy the blind man's whips thing started to smell?
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Robby, as you no doubt recall, I already did tell my story:

viewtopic.php?id=5830

My subsequent whips have, and will, come from RoT members, so I doubt that I'll have much to add to this thread in the future other than a bit of commentary.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Scott, I wouldn't limit to only RoT members. There are non-members I would go to as well, but they are all a part of this forum anyway.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Unfortunately (actually fortunately) I only have bought whips from Jessie and Rachael and couldn't be happier. The only shitty whips I have are ones I've made, but please don't out me, Robbie, I promise to get better!
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

You're right, Jesse. I should have phrased that better. There are others here who are not (yet) in the RoT who I would definitely be proud to own a whip from. I apologize if I inadvertently slighted anyone.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

No worries, Scott. I am the champ when it comes to use the wrong words and phrases :) And all the folks here get me the right way. The RoT is a very special thing. And we have other great whip makers here in that forum, which simply are no members of the RoT. Not yet...

Robby
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Scott, I didn't mean it in any sort of bad way, I hope you know. But, I would order a whip from non RoT makers as well as makers in there. If they're here, the chances are they make a good whip.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Jesse, it was not taken that way at all. We al make mistakes. In this case, it was my turn. ;)
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

If they get to be here, they are more than likely working for their title. :)

So, Robby? If I am one of those whip makers whose customer told that they got a crappy whip, do you want me to refer them to you, or ask them if they would like to participate? What is your preferred approach to someone who might be interested in this? Is this a public thread that can be shared?
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Yep, this thread is open to the public. And of course it would be good to point customers, who had this bad experience to this thread! The rules are simple: I need a precise description and pictures upfront. Then I need the whip and the invoice - to proof that it was really bought and paid - and here you go. The whip is gone, because there is a high chance that I have to cut it open.

And - again - the name of the respective customer will not be revealed. Only the vustomer himself and I will know his/her name.

Robby
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

I do had my reservations on some points. But I do agree with you Robby. If you don't want to be featured, make good whips.
At least the customer will know which whipmakers to not deal with.

The same goes for me too, I promise to become better, don't feature me :P

Sven
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I won't!... :) The first project is already in the making. You have no idea what shit some people - who call themselves "traditional whip makers" - sell to customers. In fact I did not believe my eyes when I saw the first pictures. It is a whip, which a customer had to pay (incl. taxes & shipping) 390.00 Euro. Which is more than 400.00 USD. In my book that thing is on the level of a cheap (in fact very cheap!) Mexican tourist whip. Embarrassing, disgusting, crappy bullshit. When I imagine, that out there are more customers who buy there, it makes me sick. And - trust me - you will feel exactly the same!

Robby
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Oh boy.... I don't usually eat popcorn, but maybe I'll fire some up... :)

Return to “Shitty whip makers and ripped off customers (+++ public thread +++ )”