Knife vs. Gun. Imagine now a whip...

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Robby Amper

Knife vs. Gun. Imagine now a whip...

Post by Robby Amper »

It is about that old and always new idea to defend yourself against a knife and/or gun attack. I am preaching for years that it is pure nonsense, but, well... As long as out there are people who want the audience make belief that you could fight someone with a knife or - even more stupid - a gun - here is an interesting video. It is about gun against knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjMpn7JCJ0

If you watch this video, you will see that those folks say exactly the same what I said years ago in the video "The Whip, the Weapon". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnwfFVn ... e=youtu.be All those folks expect an attacker to stand still so that they can beat him with their whip. Basically it's a sad thing, because all of those people have so little self confidence, that they need something that makes them invinsible. Sadly only in their imagination. I'd like to see the whip handlers who demonstrate, what a fantastic defense tool a whip is, in a real attack situation. If it's Adam Winrich, Anthony DeLongis and all the others.

Okay - to be honest - of course I don't want them to be hurt, because that would be ridiculous. But I think you got the idea. Watch that video, see the guy with the knife and tell me when you think you could hit him with a whip. Those real guys don't stand still for you. But as long as nearly everybody wants to be Batman out on the streets, people who sell the whip as the defense tool, will make serious money.

Poor customers. I hope they only loose their money. And not their lives.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I totally agree.
Also it's easy to "act out" a plan with a partner that's choreographed for filming purposes, but in real life you will probably never see it coming.

Doing classes and selling whips as a tool for self defense is like promoting screen doors for submarines and just as useful.

Eventually someone is going to get hurt or even, heaven forbid, killed thinking this way.
A false sense of security will always get you hurt.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Even Indy knew better.
https://youtu.be/3I_Ds2ytz4o
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Mark, I prefer this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28mNl-wg54

Whip vs Gun? I choose ICBM - BOOM!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

If there's a thing that will bring out the cuss words, for me it is this.

A whip as a weapon is complete nonsense. A guy tapped on my window one morning this last summer when I was sitting in my truck in the school parking lot. Did I reach for the 12 foot cow whip under my seat?
Hell no.

Granted I was without sidearms that day, but I reached in my book bag and hollared "You better Run!"
He ran.

I don't think he thought I was reaching for a whip and was so scared he ran away.

Whips as weapons:
COMPLETE BULLSHIT!!!

Sorry for the ugly words, but it can get people killed.

And thank you, Robby, for the DVD "Stay Alive" that you produced, it teaches getting past that initial fear and promotes real and honest ways of self defence.
Inch by inch.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

So true! Even if you had your whip handy, what would you do with it?!!! Attacker, ahh, hold on a minuet so I can uncoil my whip... And if by some miracle your whip was in hand and ready, how would you go about defending yourself? If I had someone come at me with a knife, or even just a punch, I might try to block the first attack but then I would drop the whip and get into my fighting stance...
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

The only way that a whip becomes a reasonable defensive weapon is if the attacker is armed with a shorter whip!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks so much, Robby! You're totally right!
Ron May wrote:Doing classes and selling whips as a tool for self defense is like promoting screen doors for submarines and just as useful.
Ron, that's the most useful analogy on this subject I've ever seen! Than you! :)
'Less is often more!'
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Didn't they used to make snakewhips into weapons by making their handles extremely heavy and therefore useful as cudgels?
But apart from that, yeah, whips are pretty useless as a weapon. Maybe as a deterrent? Or if you put metal lashes on it?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, thank you for sharing that video!
Trying to defend against a knife with a whip would be nothing but suicide.

All the best
Ben
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I've watched a lot of Anthony DeLongis and his work on using the whip as a defensive tool, and it confuses me. He says there's a bunch of ways to use them as such, but they don't make sense. I hate flexible weapons for defense, and that's all he says. Also, actually cracking the whip at somebody? Cool, you have basically just pissed them off!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Well, I am not carrying whip in town Saturday Night so no reason to think about whips for defence
Today is a good day
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Flemming Bo Christiansen wrote:Well, I am not carrying whip in town Saturday Night so no reason to think about whips for defence
Exactly!!!

I have one under the seat for when we open and close gates on some land where we train dogs. It is for moving livestock away from the gate.

Against humans, in the real life situations I have personally witnessed, a whip is useless.
Inch by inch.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

One thing to keep in mind about attackers, they attack when you least expect it. Which means that you have no time to get your whip, if you even have it with you.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

There are only two things I want to say about this: Avoid Trouble, and - if trouble comes anyway - Run Away. This isn't cowardice, it's just basic common sense!
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Ethan and Mr. Robert, both of these statements could apply to a mean momma cow!
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Indeed, Rachel! And on my country walks, I have often altered my route to circumnavigate a 'mean momma cow'!
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I found out the hard way that cows don't like bicycles.

I was riding the 2 mile ranch road to the mailbox and some cows noticed me and began chasing me and gaining on me. I had to zoom to the nearest fence and chunk the bike over before launching my self over it as well.

The funny thing is that they didn't seem to mind as long as I wasn't riding it.

It's a lot longer than 2 miles when you have to walk and push a bike.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Ron,
That is good to know! :lol:
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

All in all, whips are not designed as weapons. Though, you could possibly use one to gain enough time to get away. Other than that they are no good as weapons.

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”