First Video

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Ethan Mitchell

First Video

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Hey Guys,
Here is a video I just took of me cracking the black & yellow six footer. I'll have to watch Robby's video on the underhand flick again, I just can't seem to get that one right. I am open to any tips, I certainly need them.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HO2_U ... 2KFmgfCZIf
Hopefully you guys can view it, I'll see if I can get it uploaded to YouTube later.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Great job Ethan! That whip handles like a dream! It appears to crack effortlessly.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Congrats Ethan, that whip seems to work like a charm.
Well done.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks Jeff and Sven! It's far from perfect, but the best whip I've made so far.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Nicely done Ethan.
Be very proud of this one.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Well done, Ethan! That's impressive!

Regarding the forward flick: it looks to me as if you're not moving fast enough, You're right to pull the whip forward to start with, but I think you need then to speed it up a bit more as it passes you body. Then, when you flick with your wrist, it should crack easily.

Having said that, while the other cracks are all pretty good, they don't actually need as much force as you're using. Try using the minimum force to get a crack (which is not the same as minimum speed). I think you'll find it easier, and more elegant.

But very well done! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey Ethan, nice job on your first video mate. That's a very streamlined looking whip! I like it. Also your whip cracking looks pretty good! I was quite envious of your volleys :)
I'm sure that you will get the hang of the various techniques as time goes on :) Good luck!
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Ethan also I forgot to mention with regards to the underhand flick, Grant Weaver gave me some advice that I found very helpful when I encountered frustration learning the underhand crack.
You want to start with the whip behind you and sweep the whip out in front of you kind of like how you would bowl a bowling ball.
I was doing quite a circular motion to begin with and found it hard to get a crack. Keeping this in mind helped me. When I next practiced.
Good luck mate.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert has hit the nail on the head with his observations Ethan.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Pretty good, Ethan, the whip is beautiful.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks Ron!

Robert,
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. While I do tend to manhandle the whip at times I think part of the reason was due to the fact that I was using one of my older whips (they are much harder to crack) a few minuets before. Anyway, I'll work on that.

Russell,
Thanks, Robby or someone more experienced can verify if this is a good idea, but I found volleys much easier to learn on shorter whips (3-5'). Once you get the hang of it all you really need to do is slow it down for longer whips. At any rate, thanks for the tip on the flick, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Mark!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You're doing really good, Ethan. You have to work on the second crack slow figure eight, but you are absolutely on the right track!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks Robby, I'll work on that!
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Awesome video Ethan!
You and your whip are performing fantastic and I realy like the visible fall!
What helped me with the underhand crack was the following:
The bowling motion which Russell mentioned can be practiced seperatly. We've once had a 10/10 challenge where the goal was to do the underhand crack without moving the thong back to the starting position after the crack. Therefore, we all had to use as little force as possible to avoid getting hit by the thong.
This particular excercise has helped me to develop a feel for the underhand crack more than any other exercise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLah9iRssOY

Once you've mastered this, you can do the exact same movement with a little more speed and do the following: do the bowling motion until the whip cracks, wait a split second until you feel that the momentum of the whip is "lifting the thong up" and then use that momentum to bring it back to the starting position.

All the best
Ben
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Ethan - It great to watch your vido and your whip seems to perform very well. The sound on the video is funny. The cracks in the speakers comes too late on my PC just like on Robbys video "Master the whip - or not" :)

It look great ispecially the vollys have I never managed to do.
Today is a good day
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Thanks Flemming! I know, my camera does that occasionally. I hope to get a new one... eventually.

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”