Next one!

Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Yes, I too was very impressed with the patience and commitment executed by your boys Rachel :)
I got in a bit more practice with this technique last night.
I had to go back to ground zero because i've been found wanting with regards to practicing with my opposite hand, the underhand crack so I have been focusing on trying to establish a consistent execution with that.
After work tonight while my daughter does her gymnastics class I hope to get a video done.
Good luck all!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, my practice was not as good as the first day.
Trying to switch hands immediately has sent me back a little.
I ended it on a positively note and not trying to force it.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Thank y'all very much, and Garret and Hagen said they will keep practicing for this as they want to show their work too. They said they appreciate all help to get better.
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

That's good Ron, I'll try and follow your example :)
My practice ended with my cracker falling off and trying to find it in the grass :D
I gave up after half an hour lol I think someone was forcing me to not force it because usually I keep going until I feel there has been satisfactory progress.
Looking forward to seeing the boys progress Rachel :)
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Russel, I figure the first mowing next spring will find a lot of lost crackers.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel that's one reason I like English eye falls.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, for many years I've carried spare crackers in my pocket whenever I crack whips. I can't begin to guess the number I've lost!
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Those are both good suggestions thanks Ron and Robert :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Rachel, thank you for the videos of Garret and Hagen. They‘re doing pretty good. The interesting thing is, that they started something, which I was planning for one of the next 20/20 exercises. What I was showing is to start the underhand and right after the crack to change the hand and bring the whip back at the other side. What they did - they changed the hands and brought the whip down in front. Which could be a...na?...Circus crack on the way down. Your boys are doing good. When they go on with their exercises, they will become good whip handlers. One member of this forum comes up with a video. And two little men who are even no members.

I won‘t be here in the forum too often in the future. Everything is running smooth. I‘m not needed all the time. But I will be here in the 20/20 area. At least for Ron, Garret and Hagen.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I look forward to seeing what your next exercise is Robby.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Aha! I see!!! We will review and follow more closely! That makes good sense. We will be changing our practice, thank you. They really enjoy your videos, Robby. Thank you very much. We look forward to seeing what you have in the next video! Lots more practice!
Inch by inch.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Robby, Garret told me, "Mama, I told you...." He saw it right away. We will be reviewing and make another practice video soon I hope.
Thank you very much.
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I've been promising a video for a couple of days so here it is.
I've been trying to learn the underhand with my opposite hand for the last few days where I can but it's still pretty unco so I've got some more practice to do on that. Luckily there's still 16 days to go ;)
https://youtu.be/Gwqa8pVsumE
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Nice and smooth Russel.
I do believe though that Robby wants to see the exchange immediately after the crack.
I , like you, changed hands sort of on the way back and not a nano second after the crack.
I almost have to try to change right at the crack to be able to attempt to achieve this.
I'm sort of getting there like today's practice showed but it still feels a little awkward .

But I really like the smoothness and flow you are achieving. :)
Nice job.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Ron I'll work on the timing, hopefully I can improve more quickly ;)
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Russel, looks good, hard to watch you though because I enjoy watching the dog so much! He's having as much fun as you-maybe more.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron's right, Russell - nice and smooth. The coordination must improve with practice.

And Keyser seems on good form, undaunted by his recent 'encounter' - though I think his circles may be a little larger now! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, I've just realized that I forgot to thank you for your understanding for my lack of practice due to my knee condition!
Thank you very much and I apologize for responding you so late (I've just realized that I forgot to thank you by reading this thread again)!

Russell, you practice session looks very good, your flow is fantastic and you bring the whip back to the "next starting postition" in a very controlled way - good job!
What might help for a faster change would be to move the hand which is not holding the whip to the center of your body while you are cracking the whip with the other hand (moving both arms at the same time - kind of like a "clapping with your hands" type of motion).

So far I've only been able to have "stick of death sessions", but I'm looking forward a lot to practice this excercise with my whip!

All the best
Ben
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

No worries, Ben. Everything's okay :)

Russell - you're doing very good! Slow down a bit and you'll have the time to change hands a bit earlier. That way you'll have kind of a half/half technique. In the begin of the underhand perhaps a little less power/speed, too. But overall - very good, Sir!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks everyone.
I did a bit more practice last night and my underhand crack technique improved a little which helped with a better timed change over.
This is definitely harder than it looks for me :)

Return to “The 20/20 Training Area”