Next one!

Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you so much Ben. :)
I'm still mildly disappointed in the whip though.
The whip wasn't a step forward but more like a half a step back for me.
The next one will benefit though.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Thank you, Ben! You are the last person in this forum I expect to try that. You have a damaged knee. So - no hurry, okay?

Bottom line: This is a small forum. Which is good. But only seven folks answer. One video.
Not exactly overwhelming.

I mean - I know how to crack a whip. And I was convinced that all the members would be happy to have the chance to learn things they can‘t find and learn anywhere else. When I teach those things in my seminars, I make good money with those lessons. Simply because I‘m one of the few who teach that way of handling a whip. Here it‘s for free. I can imagine that a great amount of folks here don‘t like the pressure, I‘m putting on them. It‘s that: I chime in there when I want. And not when Mr. Amper wants to force us to do!

I can understand that. I wouldn‘t like that pressure, too. Absolutely not. But this is not a bad kind of pressure. All I want is to give the folks the possibility to evolve. To become better whip handlers.

But if it is enough to show new whips and designs, well... It would be probably the best for me to focus on the few who are really interested - here in this thread - and let go the rest. This is not about hurt feelings. Or ego. I am more than busy and I really have to be careful with my time. So I think it‘s the best to be active here - to help those who want my help - and the others simply don‘t need me. Which is cool. It means that I built a forum that can work and live without me.

Anyway - the next technique for the 20/20 challenge is in the pipeline! I was soooo tempted to give you a preview in the actual video :)

Good luck with this exercise! And if you have problems - you know where to find me, right?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Robby, and yes, we know how to reach The Legend.
I'm surprised that you even have the time to even do this for us.
I am very appreciative. :)

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby Amper wrote: I was soooo tempted to give you a preview in the actual video :)
Robby, I'm sure it is better to make us wait! We all ought to be panting with anticipation - and work that much harder on the last one!
'Less is often more!'
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Robby, I watched the video, but to be honest, I'm still working on the basic stuff from the DVDs. I guess I should post more videos, but I'm just not as photogenic as you :) I do practice every day, though, I swear. I'll try to get one up in the next day or so.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Hi Robby

Sorry that you are so disappointed. My personal problem is, that I know how the cracks and routines shall be made but I'm only able to do it 75% right every time.
So - when I know how to do it, but it is just not good enough - why showing anyone?

But just to show that I am working on it - next time we are home in daylight I will shoot at a video showing the level I'm working on right now.

/Flemming
Today is a good day
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Flemming, the purpose of posting a video is for others to see what you are doing and in a constructive way advise you on some tips or observations that might help you become better. It's not to show perfection, but weaknesses that someone can help you with.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Flemming, Ron is quite right! Posting one's mistakes is far more useful - for you, and for the rest of us - than showing that you are perfect! When I see someone doing something that's not quite right, it always helps me learn how to improve my own cracking.

I've said this before, but the only reason I don't post videos because I have no idea how to manipulate the technology!
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

A good and experienced whip handler does not need my advice, nor the advice from other forum members. But those who want to become experienced whip handlers - they should be grateful for advice and help. Those videos are not to make jokes on somebody. They are to show where it does not work and - hopefully - receives help from others. I mean - the most experienced whip handler was a beginner, once. That is what we all share. We all were beginners. When I remember my early years; I was not as good and fluid as Ron was in his exercise video.

Anyway - I can't do more than offer help and advice.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Robby, I have a good teacher to emulate.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Well done Ron, I agree, that was a very fine effort for the first time!
The change hands crossover was my real attempt at working my opposite hand and since then I have flirted with a few other techniques too. (Like the Coachman's Crack we did). I find them difficult but I like the challenge and the payoff when you do get somewhere :) So I'm really grateful for all of these challenge videos. I feel they are indispensable for continually developing my whip cracking skills. Thank you Robby for making them available, there are some here who do value the generosity and also the time and effort you've extended, and practice your methods faithfully. I hope that you will not be dissuaded and continue train us with more videos.

Personally I prefer using one whip rather than attempting the dual whips that I see quite a few other whip handlers using. I don't know, maybe i'm lazy :D

However being able to use both hands proficiently opens up a lot of potential for nice combinations and techniques, which this exercise seems to make evident. I just got home and gave it a go. It wasn't too bad. I'm trying my best not to worry about the crack and focusing on the timing of the change hands moment and a flow for now.
I'm hoping to post a video in a couple of days.
Have fun everyone!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Garret and Hagen asked me to post their videos of their practices.

Garret:
https://youtu.be/ae_jLx4e-dw

Hagen:
https://youtu.be/HoiC3bYj5Nw
Inch by inch.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Excellent, Rachel.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

The boys are doing very good.
They should be proud of the progress they are making.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thank you Mark and Ron, I will sure tell them.
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Rachel. Your boys are so fortunate to be able to practise at that age with expert guidance. (I know you'll disclaim any expertise, and say you're not Robby - but very few of us here are at that level. You may not be able to do everything Robby does, but you understand what Robby does, and can guide your boys accordingly. That's absolutely invaluable! And with this kind of start at this age, they should become really expert in just a few years....)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

nice :) well done !
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Mr. Robert, I appreciate it very much. There is certainly a disconnect between my brain and my hands when it comes to motion (any kind of sport ;) ). I will keep trying. I learn from the videos and then the boys work out the steps and they love to come back and show Mama how to do it right!

Thank you Russell!

They work hard.
Inch by inch.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Nicely done, young men! Keep up the good work, Rachel.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Rachel, my greatest compliments to both Garret and Hagen!

All the best
Ben

Return to “The 20/20 Training Area”