Let's Learn Volleys

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

I've been really working on slowing down the pace. Now if I could just get my son and son-in-law to do the same. You'd think they would get tired of the welts.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Mark, perhaps one way forward is to go for a long run just before whip-cracking! Anything to tire him out! :
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

April Choi and Kevin Daniels teach by first introducing technique by handing the students gymnastic ribbons. You can see the flow of the crack and there is no noise to try to achieve. You can get them at the dollar store :). I buy them for the kids to play "whip crack" with when the grownups are playing. They are super cheap and super useful.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, that's a splendid idea! :)
'Less is often more!'
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

That is a great idea Jessie. Coincidentally, my son just made one of those in his art class at school. Apparently, the kids were given free use of any and all supplies and that is what he came with (and for exactly the same purpose as you described). Who knows, maybe he'll even join here one day.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Yeah!
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Jessie, those are fantastic ideas about using a headphone and gymanstic ribbons as practicing tools - thank you very much for sharing!

All the best
Ben
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi everyone. It's been almost 10 days but I have not had much time or good weather to practice volleys with a whip, Much less produce a video.
Results are similar to the other day. I can kind of do it but it's not pretty or consistent. As such I will be adding this to the list of things I need to keep practicing.
I hope you all are having favorable results yourselves :)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

It will get better the more you do it.
I have pot load of those on my list.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Me too Ron ;)
Good luck mate :)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

here's a quick video of me attempting a volley this evening.
It's not a technique that is coming naturally to me and i'll be practicing this one more often.
https://youtu.be/vYu3_KAhXNw
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, that's looking like progress to me.
A longer whip is also a lot harder to do volleys with too.
Nice job.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, Ron's right: it does look like progress. (And I agree that longer whips are harder for volleys....)
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Volleys are fun! I found that once you are in a certain groove they flow easily one after another although it might take some attempts to get started... once the concentration is away the whip will wrap around the arms...
I have two videos on this, the first is from two years ago with an. 8 ft whip (also with a second part with overhand flicks)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9d_IV9Qf_s

The second is from just a few days ago, 6 ft whip, where I also tried to change hands which on some occasions worked , but I am still struggling with hand-changing. My right hand is the dominant hand by far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4XG8kQYB3o
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey Wolfgang! Looks pretty nice to me!

When I try it from the side and am not able to see what my hand or the whip is doing I seem to peter out after a few cracks.
Mind you I have been practising this a bit and there has been some improvement which i'm hoping to build upon.

Nice job!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

You've really improved with that one, Wolfgang.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Oh yes, doing the volleys at the side, similar to fast figure 8, is probably more difficult. I just find it „natural“ to put the whip in front to have the possibility to just switch the handle left-right-left-right because the handle moving for volleys is completely symmetrical whereas for a fast figure 8 it’s not.
And they work well with short whips with long handle. Although I noticed , when watching the slo-mo part of this video, that the roll-out was not „complete“ all the way down to the fall, but the crack happened earlier than in the other videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XavzX0djEkM

This was shot on Sunday...normally I would expect the crack to happen near to where the end of the handle is pointing.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for sharing, I really like that switch :)
I'm looking forward to seeing how far you go with this

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”