overhead reverse horizontal?

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Jessie Edwards

overhead reverse horizontal?

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I think Robby is really busy with some things right now and not able to get us a 20/20 video at the moment, so lets find something to practice on our own. I would really like to know how to go from the over head horizontal crack to the reverse horizontal crack over my head. I have seen some of you do it, I know Robby has done it in a few review videos, but when I try to do it, my wrist seems too weak to keep the whip up. I can certainly do it off to the side of my body, but over my head, I am fighting the centrifugal force or something. My wrist and arm just isn't strong enough or something . Any experts that can teach me how to do this crack?

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3FvTF5eHI&t=387s at the 5:30 to 5:35 timestamp.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jesse, actually, I see that he does crack the second part of the overhead combination off to the side. It cracks on his right side not over his head like the first part of the combo does.
Thanks for starting this for us. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, I'll have to study this carefully, and try to combine it with my memories of last weekend....
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I still cant muster the strength to flip it around though. Maybe if Robby sees it he can explain quick.
~Management
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

OKay, I spent an hour out in the backyard with this. I figured out how to bring it around and get a crack. Now to try to keep it as nice and horizontal and my overhead crack. I don't understand. I'm not a weak person, but i'm obviously using muscles here that aren't used to being used. Maybe tomorrow ill try this with my 5 footer and see if it isn't easier. I cracked until I just couldn't make my arm go that way anymore, so I think i'm done for the night.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jessie, don't over do it. It doesn't end well.

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Well, I have to build the strength up. I'm thinking it's like singing, if you want to build up your range, you have to push your voice until it cracks.
~Management
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Jessie, I don't know if this helps, but I often find that with this move, I tend to use my body more than my wrist/arm to do it.

Let's say you're spinning the whip with your right hand in the reverse direction - as the whip and my arm gets outstretched to the right, I turn my body towards the whip slightly (you can see Robby does that a little), a small turn to his right, and as the whip gets to around 6 o'clock (right behind you) I turn my body back straight, and my arm comes with it, so most of the force in the redirect comes from the body (though it's only a small movement of the body). I think try to keep your joints rather solid in this move - or you might find this move a bit taxing on the wrist.

I hope that helps!!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

I have a trouble with this as well, because of arthritis in my wrists. I'm probably not doing it right as well, but after a few attempts my wrist is pretty painful. Seems that any reverse move, like the opposite horizontal in the first video or the second part of the crossover in the second makes my wrist hurt.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

I tried to view the video. But I get a message saying it's not available. Does anyone else get this message as well?

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Jessie, I've tryed to do this crack in the past but I'm nowhere close to mastering it.
The whip cracked but the thong hasn't been on the horizontal plane during these first attempts.

There is a video by Darren Wilkerson which shows several variations of the overhead reverse horizontal. The first of those variations is probably the only technique which could be useful for this thread (the "normal" overhead reverse horizontal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RirkpLlfQA

Happy cracking everyone!

All the best
Ben
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I'm definitely not an expert but isn't the technique a horizontal slow figure eight?
I started off practicing from the side, then on a diagonal plane, then a horizontal plane to get used to the difference.
If you can keep the momentum of the whip going, I found it to be not too hard on my wrists.
This guy Robert Buckley had some good points in his video I thought. At 3:30 timeframe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH-85l ... 53wXSnMAsg
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben and Russell, thanks for posting those links.

Very interesting, and very good. But, having been with Robby a few days ago, I think he might say that both those guys use too much force, and that they don't always carry the whip through to where they crack starts, to repeat. Also, horizontal should mean horizontal! They don't always finish parallel to the ground, and then guide the whip down. But very good. (But Darren's third variation makes my shoulder hurt, just watching him!)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Robert.
For what it's worth, here is my first effort.
It's just the beginning and i'm looking forward to feeling getting used to this technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6GL7pd360
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, that looks genuinely horizontal to me! Well done!

Does Keyser ever get tired? :P
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Robert, if you can see in the video, he has burned a racetrack into the ground, it goes right around our section.
It takes some doing to tucker him out lol
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, that looks pretty good to me.
Nice and horizontal and not over powered.

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I was out in the yard for about 30 minutes this morning, but it seems to be a day where I am simply out to hurt myself. I'm not sore at all, but maybe my arms are tired. I'm just not doing things as smoothly as they usually are. The bloody turban happened with this crack using my left hand. It was hard enough to make me cry, so I went through 1 routine with all the cracks I know well, just to not end on a bad note, and I have some ice on my left ear until later this afternoon. :(. I'll go again later after I get this homework tackled.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sorry to hear about the bloody turban.
That's a good idea to end a session on a positive note.
I'm sure, like everything you do, you will get this.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, for someone as used the cracking a whip as you are, that's a sure sign of tiredness. (I actually hit myself in the face at the very end of my session with Robby last Monday. I haven't done that for years - and knew it was simply because I was tired, and wasn't focussed. Robby had the sense to insist that I go on and do a few familiar cracks successfully before stopping.)
'Less is often more!'

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”