Prices & Winners - 2017

Well... We have an annual whip lottery, in which everybodey can participate. And the money for the tickets goes - exactly; to the doggies. And to avoid any possible "misunderstandings" - with an official contribution receipt...!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Good to see you, Ralph! I agree with Roger and Ron: photos, please!
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Congratulations Ralph!
I couldn't think of a better housewarming gift for a whipcracking enthusiast than a brand new, well made whip!

Today, I've recived Jesse's whip :)
Jesse, thank you very, very much for this awesome whip!!!
There are many, many things that I like about this whip:

1. The construction concept - I love using long whips but my wrists tend to get tired after a couple of minutes of whipcracking. Jesse build the thong of this whip lightweighted, so people like me can enjoy cracking a 10 footer without having to pause because of the wrist issue.

Jesse also covered the lower part of the handle with a 16 plait (the thong is in 12 plait) in order to make it more comfortable to hold the whip.

2. The performance - I haven't been able to crack this whip yet, but I did both "Amperage tests" and it passed with flying colors!
Due to the fact that the whip isn't broken in yet, the loop stopped at a certain point of the roll out test, but the thong didn't fall off to the side which is a clear sign that the roll out is streight and accurate.

3. The theme of the whip - The fact that the theme of this whip is about his rescued dogs gives it a wonderful personal touch and it fits perfectly to the overall theme of this campaign.

4. The design - I realy like the design of this whip. I'm not sure if it shows well on the pictures that I've taken but the leather sleeve matches the 16 plait color of the handle and creates a very stylish look. The beginning of the thong is palited with a short herrinbone pattern, going into a double diamond plait before going into a regular herringbone. The upper section of the handle is covered in an 8 plait doubled herringbone and between all of those different components of the handle there is a decorative knot - love it!

The heelknot is a 4 bight 5 part TH with 4 passes, which is complately closed at the top and it's rock solid.

The sinew crackers that Jesse send me are prefectly twisted and I like the look of those two colored crackers!

I will upload a video of Jesse's whip in action as soon as possible, but at the moment the weahter conditions in my area arn't very "camera friendly" (rainy, windy weahter).

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks for sharing Ben.
It sounds like you got a very nice whip

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Great job, Jesse! Ben thank you for the pictures!
Inch by inch.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, Rachel, you're welcome!

I've just realized that I made a mistake in the design description - the upper part of the handle is not a doubled 8 plait harringbone, but it's a 12 palit irregular herringbone - I apologize for that mistake!

All the best
Ben
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Lovely whip, Ben, you're very lucky.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

That's a very nice looking whip!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.

Post by Guest »

That's an inspiring design! Nice catch and congratulations Ben!

Also compliments on your work Jesse!
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Congratulations on receiving this beautiful whip, Ben.
Jessie, that is beautiful work!
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Thank you guys for the compliments.

Ben, it is indeed a 12 plait overlay to cut down on weight. I figured that such a design would be nice for people who don't crack a long whip due to weight. I am very glad you like the colors and overall design. I would have made one in the color of my other dog, but he wasn't a rescue, and if he were, it would have been a plain black whip anyways. Please let me know what you think when you get a chance to crack it.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Well, The whip I won from Sparky was actually supposed to go to my little nephew. He was having some problems and I thought that if he had something he could do that was exclusively his own, it would boost his self esteem. Robby, also had sent a DVD set for Adam to make sure he had some good lessons to go with his beautiful whip. I don't see the family often and they live a good ways from me, but after not having had heard a word all this time, I checked the tracking number on the whip. It seems the family had received it on September 25th. I heard not a word. Not a peep. No thank you, no phone call, nothing. I have sent both Robby and Sparky private apologies from me and I am going to try to take a drive down to Clear Lake to get some pictures myself. I am really sorry. I'm sure Adam is very excited, I just need to make sure Robby and Sparky get their thank you's myself since the parents can't figure out polite on their own. I want to say I'm sorry too. I can't say I am not deeply ashamed. I hope none of you think this is how I run my house. It's absolutely not.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jessie, you can't blame yourself for the lack of actions of others.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Jessie, it's ok, you can't control what they do. I do hope Adam enjoys the whip though!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

When you spend time on a forum like WB where politeness, respect and thought for others is just second nature, behaviour like this seems all the more outrageous. Not your fault or responsibility to apologise, Jessie.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Jess we know you ;)
That's not you. You can set an example for others, but you cannot make them learn and do. That's on them. Not your fault. Thank you to you, Sparky, and Robby for what you did regardless of the other people's actions.
Inch by inch.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Jessie, we know better. ;)
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That's a truly beautiful whip :D. I'd like one, now
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank y'all very much - I do feel very luck to have Jesse's whip :) !

Jesse, I'll let you know as soon as I've tryed it out and I'll post a video of your whip in action :) !

Jessie, you don't need to apologize for the actions of others - all of us know and all of us appreciate who you are and what you do!

All the best
Ben
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Jessie - the sentence

" I want to say I'm sorry too. I can't say I am not deeply ashamed. I hope none of you think this is how I run my house. It's absolutely not".

is touching one of my personal values. I could never (and I don't think anyone else in here) would dare to judge anyone by the actions taken by third party out of someones control.

We have done some writings in private and I garantee that this is absolutely NOT the impression you leave.
Today is a good day
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jesse, that whip you sent to Ben looks very fine!

Jessie, I can well imagine how embarrassed you must feel. I just hope little Adam is really happy....
'Less is often more!'

Return to “The official annual WB Dog Shelter Campaign”