The Time Machine (THE Time Machine)

How much description does it take, when the whole thing is called "Movies", hm...?
Robby Amper

The Time Machine (THE Time Machine)

Post by Robby Amper »

Name me this: "There can only be one!"

And now to the Time Machine with Rod Taylor. I love, love, love that movie. It was one of the first movies we had on VCR. So I watched it, roll back, watch it again. Eat something (while rolling the tape back) and...watching it again. That way I can talk nearly every dialogue from the movie. And one day I was so lucky - I've got the original Soundtrack :D The Time Machine to me is one of those films, where they really tried to do every single piece of their sets with love and passion. The Time Machine itself is just wonderful. I was often wondering if I could have a 1:1 scale machine here. I could pay some folks to act like time is moving faster when I push the control thingie forward. And to slow down when I pull it back. Like it was shown in the Big Bang Theory!

The actors were great and when I was a little boy, I was scared to death by the Morlocks. Sometimes I wish I could watch that movie again with the eyes of a 12 year old. But then. Years and years later - Tyler mentioned it in his "Remake" thread - came the remake. Meh. Yet alone the machine. Hello! Everybody knows what a time machine looks like. Not like the thing, they had there! No crystal on that leverage, no dark red victorian seat and - the worst thing ever - no rotating disc. I mean - honestly - how could you expect to travel through time (not space - always time!) without such a rotation disc? Meh.

But one day there was the DVD edition of the Time Machine. And it had a bonus scene, which gives me tingles even thinking about it. It was a scene, that was shot long years after the shooting of the movie. George travels back into his time, and who's waiting for him...? Filby. His old friend, Filby. I had to cry when I saw those two guys. Older, of course, but still George and Filby. The Remake - Meh - had one good thing. The Overlord of the Morlocks, played by Jeremy Irons. But that was it. Okay, the credits perhaps. But... Meh.

Which three books you would have taken with you...?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I have not seen the time machine you speak of.
Unfortunately my first cinematic experience was The latest one with Guy Pearce and Jeremy Irons.
After that I gave up lol.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

The highlander reference reminds me of working the other day. When at work, we are supposed to have a chat box open so all of the transcriptionists can talk to each other.

I got an emergency room report in that said the patient was 145 years old. I mentioned to the other transcriptionists, that this patient must be immortal.

No response.

So I go on to the next report and again, the patient information said this patient too, was 145 years old. And the next one. Of course I had to say something, so I again went to the chat box and said, "Woah, there are a lot of immortals in the Vidant ER tonight! Don't they know there can be only one?"

Cue the crickets. This just proves that transcription was not made for people with sense of humor or imaginations.

The Time Machine book was just one of my first loves. And the original movie just can't be duplicated with the same kind of...umph. I sometimes think that the originals were so iconic because no shortcuts could be taken with them. I think we had a talk about that, Robby. Physically cutting and splicing film, every effect was done by hand, no computer work, no digitizing or high definition. It showed with a good movie, simply because it was so very real in all it's fantasy.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Oh my gosh- Russell, look for the original, it was directed by George Pal and it is so cool.

Robby, when I was a kid the Morlocks scared me too but I was morbidly fascinated by the scene where Rod Taylor narrowly escapes and shoots into the future and safety while watching the dead morlock's accellerated decomposition. :)

So Robby, there's a fire station near our house and their siren sounds like the one the Morlocks use to lure the Eloi to.... dinner. Kiley and I went for a walk yesterday after work and the siren went off so I did my best eloi impersonation:" All Clear.... it's all clear," One of us does that everytime that siren goes off. :D
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I have seen the original- thank you for telling me about the remake, I won't bother watching it!
When I was little, anthropology fascinated me. I think that's one reason I like this movie, the original, so much- The Traveler could go and see the "people" and places in real life without having to dig and guess what they were really like. To go back and see dinosaurs.....
Inch by inch.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

The Bible

The Sacketts and Sackett Brand by Louis L'amour

The Foxfire books, just in case we got stuck :D
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I heard that there was a Highlander reboot in the works.
By the sound of things it's focus will be the action and swordfighting, while I enjoy that, the work of Russell Mulcahy, music by Queen and the story from the first Highlander movie is what made it original and helped make the film popular, can't see that kind of thing being replicated.
The mystique and appeal of immortals was killed for me in the sequel. Aliens from Ziest?? Okay.....
Three Books:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Crime and Punishment
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Highlander 2 was the first Highlander I ever saw.
Ofcourse only Highlander 1 is good. Sir Connery is just such a good actor and the story is fascinating and so full of possibilities.
If followed the series too.

I have to admit only to have seen the remake of the Time Machine, so I can't compare. The story is great.

Sven
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Loved the original "Time Machine". Yes, the effect were a bit cheesy compared to today but back then they were awesome. I still remember the morlock decomposing before his eyes.

3 books? Too many to count but I would say:
The Book of Mormon
Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"
My Amazon Fire tablet with over 500 books in digital format.

Honorable mention: Ender's Game and Battlefield Earth (hated the movie)
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Good grief! Only THREE books, Robby? I'd need hundreds :D

Loved the original Time Machine. The remake was absolute pants!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Wowowo... Wasn't me! That was Filby's question in the end of the movie. I think that this was the last text at all. So - Ron - only three. And Jeff... Nice try. Only three. No kindle.

Robby
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

The original was by far the best one. I got queeezed when I saw the time laps decomposition of the Morlock , I still don't like watching it even today.
The remake and other time travel themes just don't match up.

Ok, let's see....... A math book ..... a horticulture book .... a survivalist book.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Hmmm...are the three books for enjoyment or rebuilding society?
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Ask Filby... :)

Robby
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

I would love to! :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Okay, we have an appointment. We'll meet at December 31, 1899 in London!

Robby :)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I prefer the Victorian time machine compared to the DeLorean with the flux capacitor.
It's more reliable.
But they never said what powered it, did they?

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, virtually all Victorian machinery was powered by coal-fired steam engines. Ergo.... :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert, :D
Perhaps a really long extension cord ?

Ron
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

See you there Robby :)

.....after that, can we go look at dinosaurs?

Return to “Terror in the Aisles (+++public thread+++)”