Are TV series allowed?

How much description does it take, when the whole thing is called "Movies", hm...?
Jessie Edwards

Are TV series allowed?

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Because, movies, but I can rarely sit through movies. I can usually sit through a good TV show, which brings up Mystery Science Theater 3000. Um hm. When I did watch TV, this was my jam. This thread brought them to mind and my son is now watching the originals. Having grown up with a sci fi geek mom, who watched Dr Who before Dr Who was cool, I know a lot of the movies that Joel and his homies are making fun of.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

We never did get to watch Doctor Who, but due to my Mom, Star Trek: The Next Generation- we never missed it!
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Original star Trek. Every single one. She has several aldi shopping bags with VHS tapes. Every episode. LOL

I remember Tarzan parties when my dad went to work. You remember the giant tupperware bowls? the big giant ones? She would fill that with popcorn and we would all sit around the Zenith and watch black and white Tarzan.
~Management
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Jessie Edwards wrote:Original star Trek. Every single one. She has several aldi shopping bags with VHS tapes. Every episode. LOL
Ha!!! We didn't get a VCR until I was around 12. Only what tv could deliver. Pbs, CBS, and ABC.
Are We Being Served?, The Young Riders, Dallas
Those were common in our house. Ol' Wild JR.
Mom loved that show. I thought it was a Soap...
Inch by inch.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Yes!!! The Big Tupperware!!! And those huge stainless steel bowls. My mom made bread in them 5 loaves at a time. But oh when it overflowed with caramel corn !!!
But The Twilight Zone was demonic. We weren't allowed to watch it. So I would seek back down and watch it late when my brother had it on. The old b&w not the new ones. Mom doesn't like anything creepy.
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Aww, my mom didn't like Twilight Zone either. For the record, unicorns weren't allowed in our house or the band Styx...for some reason. I think Mom picked Styx as the demonic rock band, because she didn't know any popular music names and that one came up on the radio one day. In her defense, she was newly born again and a little fanatical in her new faith.

I'll never forget the episode of Twilight zone with William Shatner seeing the creature on the wing of the airplane, or when he was addicted to the fortune telling diner novelty machine...OMG that one where the sun was going to collide with the earth and it got so hot, then it turned out to be a dream and the lady woke up to the earth moving away from the sun and everyone was freezing to death. Okay, Twilight Zone WAS really creepy. I still have reservations about owning unicorns. :/
~Management
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

The freezing to death one still gives me nightmares. Mom might have been onto something!
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

If it wasn't the twilight zone, it was my dad sending us out into the woods in the dark for something idiotic after telling boogie man stories. I'm scarred either way.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

We had a TV local Friday night movie theater thing called, "Boo".
When I was young these scared the popcorn out of me, now it's laughable.
I would start out laying on the floor then as the movie would progress I would inch a little further away. By the end of the movie I was up against the far wall.

My Dad would just look at me and smile quietly. (I didn't get what was so humorous)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

I love The Twilight Zone! Jessie, that first episode you mentioned was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and was based on a short story by Richard Matheson who also wrote I am Legend, of Robby's namesake. He was one of the main writers on the Twilight Zone so he got to write the screenplay adaptations for many of his own short stories, including this one. The cool thing about having the original author write the screenplay is that usually it follows the original story quite closely.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Jessie, maybe she equated the name Styx with the River Styx?
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

IDK. "Come Sail Away" just never struck me as particularly sinful...Thankfully, she is a lot more tolerant as a grandma, as evidenced by her not freaking out when my daughter got her septum pierced. There are, instead, endless "bull ring" jokes, that tend to get on my nerves just as much as my poor angry teen. One can only hear the reason why bulls have rings in their nose factoids so many times...yes, yes, blah blah... Ha ha. OMG.

So funny. :/

Ughhhh.
~Management
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Ah, yes, the big stainless mixing bowls. We had BBQ Fritos mixed with popcorn in ours.

And the Twilight Zone...I still remember watching one that really freaked me out as a kid. It was the one where the woman was waking up from surgery and it turned out that she was beautiful and all of the other characters had these disfigured pig noses. I may have been bit young at the time. Scarred. For. Life.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Speaking of the Twilight Zone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWebvocX35w
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Brilliant, Matt! Absolutely brilliant! :)
'Less is often more!'
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Haha! In that episode Mr. Frisby is a notorious liar and of course, the one time he tells the truth, it's about being abducted by aliens and no one believes him :)

The first episode I ever saw, I was at a friend's house when I was about 6, and they were doing a Twilight Zone marathon on TV. The episode was The Invaders with Agnes Moorehead, and it scared me witless. I kind of felt better when they got to the twist at the end, but that stuck with me. So many movies have "borrowed" from The Twilight Zone....
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

TV shows, hm. Not so much. Except...

Star Trek Classic, X-Files, The walking Dead, Fringe, Fargo, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Enterprise - can't wait for Star Trek Discovery! - 24, SHIELD, Twilight Zone, Gods of America, Preacher, Big Bang Theory, Designated Survivor, True Blood and some more. About 120 or so :D Sometimes I ask myself, when I have the time to work...

Legend ;)
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Ha!!!! I loved the X-Files. And 24. And if like to see many more on that list. One day!
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

X-Files had a new season starting this year. Twin Peaks also kicked off with a new season.

Also I can't but mention the fresh Ash VS Evil Dead seasons for the camp/gore/B-movie/splatter fans out there... instant classic.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Excellent tv remake is Mystery Science Theater 3000. I watched the original growing up, and this is fantastic. I regret nothing about watching it.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain

Return to “Terror in the Aisles (+++public thread+++)”