Remakes- the good, the bad, and the awful!

How much description does it take, when the whole thing is called "Movies", hm...?
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

*high five* Jason and the Argonauts is still one of my favorite films.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Yes! And by the way, the Hallmark Channel did do a lackluster remake with atrocious cg effects back in the early 2000's sometime. I think the original has one of the best screen versions of Hercules ever. And one day, I will draw that skeleton fight!
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Man, that skeleton fight was epic.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Good remake:
Lord of the Rings!

Bad Remake:
The Pink Panther movie starring Steve Martin. He is a very good actor but The original movies with Peter Sellers are so much better!

Awful remake:
Psycho!

All the best
Ben
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Tyler, the remake of True Grit was very well done. Different from the original, but still a very good film.

Here's a bad remake: The Day the Earth Stood Still. "Klaatu Baroda niktu". The original version of the film, the black and white one, was absolutely spectacular. The one with Keanu Reeves was very much a worse movie.

Also a terrible movie, The Lone Ranger. The hell were they thinking? Completely butchered one of my favorite western characters.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jesse, absolutely about the Lone Ranger remake.
It was a totally stupid remake and the box office receipts showed that I think.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Ben, I second the Pink Panther movies.

But LotR, can they truly be callen a remake? A few attempts have been made to adapt the novels, but as far I know there was only a animated movie.
Technically it could be called a remake, but it was much more elaborate and it was live action instead of animation.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, is a good remake in comparison with the BBC original.

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Sven, you are probably right about LotR NOt beeing a good example for a good remake since the older version had been an animated movie.

A good remake, even tough the original is at least just as good would be "Batman - the Dark Knight" in my opinion. The Tim Burton original starring Jack Nicholson used to be one of my favorite movies when it first came out and I was very surprised (in a positive sense) that the remake starring Heath Ledger has been very good as well.

All the best
Ben
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Ben, what was said about LOTR applies to Bathan, I think. There have been so many versions of Batman that I really don't think,they were remakes. They also weren't really trying to tell the same story in the same way as the other adaptations.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Jesse, I refused to watch the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. I got to see the original Gort costume at the scifi museum in Seattle!

If you get a chance, that movie was loosely based on a short story called "Farewell to the Master", it's a great read and if they did a movie properly that could be awesome. The original movie is iconic, but if they did one that followed the story I would support a remake for that.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Ron May wrote:I googled movie remakes that failed in doing so, I would have to add these too :

Total Recall, Psycho, Godzilla, Poseidon Adventure, Robo Cop, and The Thing.

The most egregious of these to me were, Godzilla, Psycho, and The Thing.

Godzilla because it was a ground breaking classic in special effects.

The Thing because it didn't need to be remade. It's first pre-release title was "Halt Who Goes There".

Last but not least, Psycho. It did not have to be remade to "make it relevant to today's youth". This is a clear arguably one of the best classic suspense thrillers of all time. How can you improve on that?

Ron
Hi Ron, were you talking about the 1982 version of The Thing, or the 2011 one? The 2011 movie was a prequel, just wanted to make sure which one you mean.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Worst remakes for me:

The Wicker Man
Fright Night
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Alfie
The Hitcher
Sven van Leeuwen

Ben. Yes. The dark knight is a great movie. I still think mr. Keaton is a good batman, but mr. Bale nailed the role too.

Being in the superhero remakes. The last few supermans weren't great.
Spiderman, I like the movies with Tobie, but dislike the reboots.
Toby McGuire was a good Peter Parker.

Sven
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I know some people may disagree with the logic but I thought Batman Begins was a good reboot and Kar Urban's Juge Dredd was much better than Sly's version.
Quite hard for me to think of more

Post by Guest »

Talking of the ugly... well, we don't talk about ghostbusters. From now on it will be referred as "The Remake That Shall Not Be Spoken Of. Ever."
Sven van Leeuwen

Erik :)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Oh talk about the elephant in the room I didn't even think of that one LOL xD
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Just watched the remake of "Mad Max" on the SyFy channel.
It sucked the white right off the popcorn.
It was terrible.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Ron, I like the original mad max movies. Maybe the third a bit less. But I have to admit that I do like Fury Road a lot.
But that's the fun and interesting part of uniqueness :)

Sven
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Tina Turner in spandex ruined the third one for me. Fury Road gets a lot of the general ethos of Mad Max right without sticking too closely to the original films.
'Sic Parvis Magna'

Return to “Terror in the Aisles (+++public thread+++)”