Tapered Rod Stocks (Thanks to Scott~)

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Daaaam.. You must do a video how they crack :D
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

These are pretty cool, man. I can't wait to see how they come out.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

That is really looking great!!
Inch by inch.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

I'm thrilled that these are coming along so nicely!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Thank you everyone! ^_^

Robert, I'm trying to make these quickly, as I have lent my one good stockwhip for a friend for the moment :P
Jyri, I definitely will once they're done, I might finally be able to work on some double whip cracking~
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Looks amazing Brandon
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thank you Morten!~
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

They look very good. Can't wait to see the end result.

Sven
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thank you Sven! Not much done apart from a small TH collar on the red thong, need to work on the blue one!
Geoffrey Tucker

Post by Geoffrey Tucker »

Awesome Sparky :)
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Woops, thank you Geoffrey!

Hey everyone! So unfortunately, I've been hit by a whole load of uni work, including tests and assignments, so I haven't had much time at all :( On the other hand, I did manage to finish the overlay on both thongs, so this is what the whips look like now~
Now, because these are english eye stockwhips, I've had to put a TH on the thong itself, which, while pretty, does give me an issue of the keepers, as anything large enough to fit around that TH will be WAY too loose for the whip itself. I plan to do a flat braid, and try pull it through the thong and plait it that way, as there really isn't any other way to do it haha I want to ask, how tightly should this keeper be? Every time I try to make a stockwhip, it's either too loose or too tight XD

On another note, I just had a thought - I used a thin bit of leather as the base of the THs - I do plan to wax these whips, but would the leather become weak, especially as it is on a part that will bend? Should I take it apart and replace it with rubber?
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Those look reeeeally good sparky! I love your knots but they do make it impossible to pull thru the keeper.
It does make them look better as you did the thong keeper from the belly. I have to keep that in mind.
As i have understood they should be as tight as they can be.
Really good work! I hope you can find the time to finish them, really looking forward to see how they work.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thank you Jyri!! ^_^ And yeah, I've heard that too, but my last stockwhip was WAY too tight - it pretty much held at a 135 degree angle from the stock, which is not ideal.
I really want to finish this before mid september, hopefully I'm able to! :P
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sparky, you might try whipping them in stead of a TH.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Ron, I've thought about doing it, and I've tried, but there's slight bump-age in there due to it being two bits being butted against each other, rather than just a finished overlay. I've also thought of hitches, but because of the bending, it's gonna show bits underneath and I kinda really don't like it (I don't know why but with whips I try to be as perfectionistic as possible with its looks). I might give rubber a go actually, it just so happens that I have a tiny bit of sheet rubber that I can use :D It's also got a "working" temperature of about 120 Celsius, which means it would definitely survive the wax bath~
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Brandon, these look great! I'm excited to see how they turn out. Could you please post a video of them in action once they're done?
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Outstanding work Sparky, those stock whips look fantastic!

Unfortunatly I can't give you any advise about which TH foundation might work better due to my lack of experience with TH's on the thong.

A former member (Giedon Rogers) has made a tutorial on how to make an english eye without plating backwards. That way you could have it both (the palited keeper and an English eye) without needing to put a TH on the thong. I hope that the pictures from Gideon's tutorial can still be seen after photobucket changed it's policies.
The beginnig of this method has been the same as you would make a (cow)whip with a TT after the 4 palit (feeding two strands into the two other strands and stating to twist them). As soon as the shorter inserted strand ended, he twisted both working strands without letting them "twist together" and then inserted one working strand into the other before he allowed them to "twist together". The result has been a whip with a TT english eye (kind of like on Tylers Academy line or Rachels Amper stlye line).

All the best
Ben

Post by Guest »

Sweet! Spectacular looking whips and what a great idea!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thanks Scott! I will most definitely do so once these are done!

Ben, thank you~ Yeah this is my first time ever putting a TH onto a moving part of the whip. I had a look at that tutorial, and I'd thought about doing something similar, but I don't like the method, mainly because I do my twisted tapers like Rachel does - super tight, which would be impossible with that method. Though I'd like to see how Rachel or Tyler does theirs :D

Thanks Erik~
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Brandon,
Have you finished these things yet? I am dying with suspense! :)

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”