Lesson II: 07/02/2017 to 07/22/2017

Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Todays practice has been rainy but I prefer rain over too hot weather when it comes to whipcracking. Only two more days for the current 20/20 challenge exercise and I'm still far away from getting this combo constantly "right". I'm not disapointed about that but I will continue to parctice this excercise additionaly to the upcoming 20/20 challenges!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that's good news. Like you, I don't think I will ever be content with any level of skill I might achieve.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have totally missed this challenge. But when the shoulder allows, I will definitely come back to this.

The shoulder/ blade thing is getting better it seems, but every time I think it's ok to practice it tells me, "Not yet." This is so frustrating.
I'm doing the same rehab exercises I did when I had the rotator-cuff repair. It seems to help. I might have to start all over when it's ok to do so.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Ron, heal first, crack later :)

Ben, it's the same for me...

Anyway, I think we all will not be finished with this in 2 days. I havent been able to share a video yet. But I will before the 22e
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, health goes first - if you would start practicing before your shoulder/blade is completely healed then you would risk an even longer compulsory break - my best get well wishes to you!

Sven, I'm looking forward to see your video and I'm also planning to shoot a video of tomorrows practice!

All the best
Ben
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

The second and third swivel of this combo gave me a hard time on todays practice (I didn't get the last 2 swivels right during todays practice - not even one time). The only difference compared to my previous practice sessions has been that I didn't practice the 3 swivel points seperatly as much as ususal before going for the entire combo.
As I already anounced I will keep on practicing this exercise in addition to the upcoming challenges and I will keep in mind that I must practice all 3 swivels seperatly A LOT before each session.
Here is a little video of todays practice (I've put a pice of electrical tape on one side of the handle in order to make it eaysier to see the position of the curve of the whip in this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9QMbt ... e=youtu.be

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, I think the biggest problem was the reverse cattle man's (circus) crack.
You might have been taking it off plane to over your head more than straight backward and down.
I know my shoulder does not like to come up straight behind me so it's not as easy as it might sound.
Other than that, I think you did a very smooth and fluid job.
The sonics will come later with time.
Again, Good job.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron!

You are right, the motion before the reverse circus crack is completely off plane in my practice video.
I belive that the main reason why I'm making this mistake is that I'm doing the swivel motion too early (during the second crossover instead of after changing the plane). It did work better on previous practice sessions - I've porbably been too impatient on yesterdays practice and I didn't "warm up" enough by practicing the swivel cracks seperately.

All the best
Ben
Sven van Leeuwen

Ben, I can see what Ron is saying. However, I do have to say with all this swiveling going on, keeping the planes and angles right is not an easy task.

A bit late, but this here is my last training session. I have to videotape myself more, it's the only way to discover small errors and wrong methodes.
When looking at the video I noticed a few mistakes which I tough I'd already gotten rid of. For instance, I'm just way too impatient...
I've really got to work on that.

https://youtu.be/bzTsxIUAoEU

Oh by the way, still the same space, but a smaller whip :).

Ben, I like how your whip is very visible. I think my next whip will be a high visible one, specially made for the 20/20 and 10/10 challenges.

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sven, it's looking better and better.
I do believe a shorter whip is helping the limited area problem.

I too like Ben and Robby's high visibility orange whips.
I got the idea from Ben and then Robby started making the videos with the same color.

My very next build is going to be that color. It's going to be my practice everyday whip.
The high visibility orange will make it easier to follow along with the fall when viewing the video recordings.
This will let good and bad whip thong behavior very noticeable and easier to diagnose.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Yes indeed. Would you happen to know what orange it is?

Sven
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

One of them (I think the one Devin Baur made for Robby???) Was international orange.
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I ordered it a few days ago and it arrived yesterday.

I think it'll be a 6.5 footer.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Wow, nice Ron. I'm looking forward to the end result
Sven van Leeuwen

Thank you Rachel. I'll look it up.

Sven
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Sven, I'm sure Ron is right: that shorter whip works much better in your limited space. It's coming on nicely! :)
'Less is often more!'
Sven van Leeuwen

Thank you Mr. Robert.

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Sven, your progress is very impressive - good job!
Rachel is right, I got the idea for the visible colored whip from Robby's whip made by Devin Bauer. On my 20 20 practice whip I've been using neon orange instead of international orange (the color changed a little after the whip got waxed).

Ron, I can't wait to see your new practice whip!

It's very rainy today and I've done a "stick of death" practice to work on the mistakes which I'm making on this combo. Later, I'll go outside for a practice session (the weather conditions probably won't allow me to film my session).

All the best
Ben
Sven van Leeuwen

Ben, thank you. Good luck on your practising.
I'm a bit torn between neon or international orange. I think I'll just flip a coin when I'm ready to order.

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Todays practice went fine. I've been "warming up" with doing the combo without the swivel and with doing the swivel cracks seperatly. The warm up did pay off, it went much better than on my previous sessions :)
I've still got a lot to work on but I'm very happy about this small improvement!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, you are making really good progress.
I'm sure that you can tell the difference between when you first started these challenges and now.
Very good job. :)

Ron

Return to “The 20/20 Training Area”