Lesson II: 07/02/2017 to 07/22/2017

Jessie Edwards

Lesson II: 07/02/2017 to 07/22/2017

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Hey guys,

Robby just posted the second lesson for the 20/20 training. I thought I would post it here so when you all are ready, you can jump in.

https://youtu.be/QG42BneaSnc

Thank you, Robby!
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Jessie.

Damn , he makes it all look so easy.
I can assure you it's not, at least for me. As a whole though it's getting better.

Thank you Robby for doing such a great job in the demonstration and explanation.
I really like the sense of humor you inject into it at times. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I'll need to watch this tomorrow morning, when I'm fresh. But thanks very much for alerting us! :)
'Less is often more!'
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Thanks Jessie and Robby, I'll watch it tomorrow.
I really enjoyed doing the first routine.

Sven
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

This is really a great sequence and goes a long way in showing the practical application of the swivel handle method. Thank you Robby! The music is so fun and playful, and Fizzy in the background watching to see how many flowers you get.... ;)
Very good lesson in so many ways, and I love your teaching style. Thank you.
Inch by inch.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I'll have a look at this tomorrow, should be good like always :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, this is terrific! (I also much appreciate Fizzy 'presiding' in the background - and much admire those delicate pink roses.) The information compressed into this short film could keep me busy for at least a month!

One slight suggestion: at the beginning of a video like this, I'd find it helpful to have a couple of shots of the whole routine from further back, so I could see more clearly how the whole whip moves. But perhaps that's just me....
'Less is often more!'
Sven van Leeuwen

I just watched it, thank you Robby.
The swiveling handle technique is gonna require some special attention for me, and the second part of the fast figure eight.

The whole routine requires a lot of practice, but I know those two are especially my weak points.
But that's no problem, it's fun to learn.
I'm looking forward to it.

'Patience Jedi, patience' :D

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert, if I'm not mistaken, he only showed the second part because he wants us to know the first part, from the first video, well enough not to have to see it.

Also if someone is new to the combo, it promotes watching the first video before continuing on with the second part, to be more involved in the exercise and the 20/20 Challenge.

That's just my take on why Robby did it this way.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, you're quite right. I did understand that.... It makes perfect sense, of course! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, thank you very much for making this fantastic tutorial video!
Your explanations are (as always) excelent and Fittzy in the backround looks phenomenal (it reminds me of the cat drawings in the Ron Edwards book)

So far, I've only tryed out the swiveling handle method for the circus crack and I'm looking forward to use this method for the fast figure 8!

Happy cracking everyone!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

As suspected, the cross over is the bad boy in this combination.
I'm probably going to have to spend half of the 20 min. just revisiting that one again while practicing the second part of this combo.

The swivel handle is difficult to learn for me, because I have to un-learn not using it.
But it's becoming a little more natural. I actually did it that way for the cattleman's crack and didn't realize I was doing it. Now to utilize it for other cracks that it fits into.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

I'm also struggeling with the swivel handle method - especialy when I'm trying to use this method in a combo. My "success rate" is better when I'm using this method for single techniques but I'm only practicing single swivel handle cracks in addition to my combo practice. It's getting better compared to day one but I still have a long way to go.

All the best
Ben
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I'm with you Ron, the switching hands is a bugger
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today the crossover is still one of my Achilles heels just to do it with out the hand switch.
Catching it in the same spot on the hand switch is also noticeably a problem.

The handle swivel is developing but I find it hard to use just the right amount of
grip, let the handle swivel, and not slide down to where I'm not holding the heel knot anymore. In order for it to work, it's almost a very very slight "toss" up let it turn and then lightly grip again and finish the throw. That's hard to explain but that's what it feels like to me.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, the right amount of grip is also an issue for me. Especialy the swivel after the second crossover crack ( the swivel before crack #7 in this combo) is giving me a hard time.

Here is a little video of todays practice - it's not very pretty but I'm not surprised or frustrated about that since I'm sure that it will get better throughout this challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMCxiN ... e=youtu.be

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that's looking very fluid and smooth.
Your form looks ok too.
I, like you, are sure that it will surely get better as the challenge continues.

You are light years ahead of where I am.
I can do some one time and not another. One of these days I will be able to do all, fluidly connected and executed.
Good job.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron!

For some strange reason I always let the handle swivel into the wrong direction (before the 7th crack) when I'm trying to do the combo.
When I do the swivel technique seperatly (starting with the 6th crack and ending with the 7th crack) the handle always swivels into the right direction (away from my body). Threfore I will practice the swivel from the 6th to the 7th crack a lot more in order to avoid that mistake.
I'm not 100% sure, but from my understanding there are three swivels needed for the entire combo with swivel # 2 beeing the most challenging one for me to do (probably because it involves a change of the plane on top of the swivel method).

Happy cracking everyone!

All the best
Ben
Sven van Leeuwen

Ben, that's already looking very good. I'm also struggling with the swivel technique, but reading the various replies here, I think it's a difficult technique to master.
But not impossible.

I'll post a progress video as soon as possible.

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Sven!
Yes, it's a challenging excercise but I'm looking forward to get the hang of the swiveling handle method. For me it feels like I'm overpowering the swivel cracks since they require a lot less force compared to cracking the whip against the curve.

Yesterdays practice has been fine. I've been working on the second swivel a lot in order to get it right and it's getting better (still far away from good but it's a progress :) ).

All the best
Ben

Return to “The 20/20 Training Area”