Planes and Angles 05/21/2017 to 05/31/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Jessie Edwards

Planes and Angles 05/21/2017 to 05/31/2017

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Thank you Robby, for the exercise video. If you requested to be on the mailing list to participate in the 10/10 challenge, you should have your email with the video now. If you would like to participate, go ahead and email me at edwards.jessica@gmail.com and I will make sure you get a link. As always, here is where we can discuss and post our own videos if we like.

Thank you, Robby!
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I look forward to learning from this drill.
Especially not looking at the thong when throwing it.
That is a fault of mine that I need to work on.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Yeah, got it. Not looking at the thong is also a challenge for me :)

Thanks for the video and it's good to see Robby again.

"Colleteral damage" :D
That one thing I hear almost everytime when I practice: "watch the flowers!"

Sven
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I'm very excited to have this. I haven't watched it yet - my friend has just departed - but that will be a nice treat for today!
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I was out yesterday mostly but I was able to watch it today! Very good exercise, I think! Watch the flowers.... I have no flowers planted and that's a good thing, Garret and Hagen would have a hard time with temptation on that one!

Lonnie trains the retrievers with a similar exercise that's called the "Wagon Wheel". All about planes and angles... Or with the dogs, lines and angles.

When he sends his finished dog away with hand signals the commands are "back" (both right or left for a straight back), "over" (left or right straight to the side, there's the right angle)
And "angle" for angle back- a 45 degree to either right or left back.

My point is, that's a finished dog level. Many, many sessions of training, on both sides of the dog.

Not easy or quick at all.

Thank you Robby, very much, for the video!

Thanks Jess and Ron too.
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

This is a good exercise, I kind of stumbled onto this while trying fo figure a good momentum for learning the Tasmanian Cutback, but this is much more detailed. Thanks!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's practice was not as easy as I was expecting it to be.
It kept go to the front a little and not on the vertical plane across the front.
The grass was a little wet, and I love the little poof of water vapor at the crack. :)
I focused on keeping it slow and controlled.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ha! Ron, you're quite right! as Robby says, 'It looks easy, but it isn't.'
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

It is definitely harder than it looks! Telling my whip to stay in that plane is not easy.
Inch by inch.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

This is a really good exercise :). Surprisingly, I'm finding it fairly easy: I'm definitely doing something wrong then :P
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I can tell you, for me with doing all the angles and planes , it's quite tiring.
But I'm not rushing it and building up stamina is not a bad thing.
It's getting a little easier but it's not easy keeping all the throws just like each other in the different angles and planes.
I'm trying to keep them identical and the only thing that changes is the angle or plane.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Ron that's what I'm attempting as well...
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Matt - that does not mean that you are doing something wrong. Perhaps it only means that you mastered the exercise...

Ron & Rachel - that's perfectly okay! I could give you very easy exercises to practice. Everybody would feel good and everyone would think "I mastered the whip". But what you would do then is exactly what all the others do. Ask my students... I'm a pain in the ass when I teach. I don't give them the easy stuff. I teach them the impossible, boring, never working stuff. Because when they master those boring and impossible exercises, they know more than all the others in YouTube land.

Sometimes I think, those "whip masters" know only silence or jelling. Gentle talking or even whispering - no way.
I teach you to whisper.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

It's the best way to learn, or train.
Coming a little short of the impossible far surpasses the probable.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

After watching how many "boring" and impossible steps build into a very sound performing well trained dog, I can really appreciate that, Robby! Thank you!
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Matt Henderson wrote:This is a really good exercise :). Surprisingly, I'm finding it fairly easy: I'm definitely doing something wrong then :P
Matt, I think this is due in part to the fact that you're young, and therefore much more flexible than some of us! :)
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thank you Robby, Robert, I'm going to put it down to my youth :). This drill will help me with the Tasmanian Cutback, as it's helping me develop more awareness of how the whip thong moves when I can't see it, and at unusual angles.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, thank you very much for making the new 10/10 challenge video !!!

Matt, congratulations on your initial success !!!

The beginning of todays practice session has been rather bad but in a matter of 10 minutes it completely changed. I'm very happy with the result so far since I haven't made such a step forward in one single practice session ever since I strated praticipating in the 10/10 challenge :)

What helped me to develop a feel for this excercise was to occasionaly close my eyes and ask my wife if I still got the angles/planes right.

I'm already looking forward to tomorrows practice and I'll try to shoot a video of it (since this practice is very neighborhood freindly I'm planning to go to the local park tomorrow and shoot my video there).

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Practice today was gaining more confidence of not looking directly at the whip during the throw. More of feeling it.
I took Ben's tip and did a lot of it with my eyes closed, visualizing what it was doing and where it was doing it. I should have made a video so I could have positive proof of what I was feeling. Maybe next time.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Eyes closed makes a difference! I tried that myself. I have a hard time not watching the whip.
Inch by inch.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”