Planes and Angles 05/21/2017 to 05/31/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, Ron, Jessie, Russel, and the rest of those who participate - I do feel guilty that I don't post videos. I suppose some day I'll have to learn how to make a video, but I find the prospect extremely daunting. My fingers are very clumsy these days (arthritis, plus Dupuytren's Contracture); I find it hard to see the tiny controls; and - most of all - I really hate grappling with technology I don't understand. Also, because I have to drive to a practice spot, it becomes quite an extended exercise just to crack a whip at all, let alone try to take a video of myself. Jessie has offered to try and teach me how to make videos in September. We shall see.... Meanwhile, I'll just feel guilty! :(
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Robert - you don't have to feel guilty. Nor does Jessie, Ron or Matt. All of you are here at least! Others even don't care about this. When I look at Tyler or Roy... I see that they don't have the time. Roy is a full time farmer, he has children, he makes whips and runs whip nation. Tyler had huge problems with his eyes, has a full time job, prepares for a show for a long time and makes whips. Jessie has four children - one of them suffers from cancer - she's working 18 hours every day, helps me with the forum and makes whips.

Anyway - we have a lot of folks, who have the time to practice. But we have to face the fact, that they don't want to participate. I can't force anyone. And - even more important - I don't want to. I mean... Would one of you (and I'm talking about everyone!) run after others to give them stuff for free? Even if it's obvious that they don't want it? No. You wouldn't. The funny - but strange - thing is this: I receive a lot of emails according my YouTube videos & tutorials. People send me their videos and ask me for help. And I try to help, where ever I can. They even offer me money to shoot little help videos - what I never do. Taking the money. Not shooting short videos...

And here in the forum, where the members can have all that for free - as good as no interest. I think, I will go on and make videos for you. And I have a new, another perspective on the "community".

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thank you, Robby! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Yes sir, thank you.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Robby, I have been thinking about taking part of this and now that i have a whip it would be possible, when have time after my trip.
I have been doing some exerices after my youngist kid goes to sleep outside, and I think that could be the time I could use for this.

So Robby, thank you for your videos and I hope i can begin 10/10 challence in near future.

One question tough: how do i begin when the time comes? From the forward crack and work my way to where you guys are?
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thank you Robby, your labours are appreciated
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Jyri - you are more than welcome to join us! And- with what to start... That would be a good beginning :)

Matt - thank you!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Here's today's practice result.
It's pretty windy but that really was not a factor.
I'm trying to keep it slow and inline and on plane.
https://youtu.be/HBh0yogzruY

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Robby, I've not took or posted video. But for what it is worth, I have very much enjoyed and practiced along with these technique and timing videos.
I know that this is extra work for you. I practice as often as I can, but not nearly as often as this deserves. I greatly appreciate the time you put in on this.
I support whatever you decide.
Inch by inch.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Robby, I have to apologize. I haven't checked in much the past week. However I can assure you I have been practicing.

That being said, I really really apreciate your video's and I respect you for making them and sharing you knowledge.
I've advanced more in the past month that I did in the past years.
I can't even imagine the time you put into these video's.
I can however understand your opinion and support whatever you decide also.

Thank you Robby.

Sven
Sven van Leeuwen

Ron, about your video.

To my eyes it seems your doing really well. It looks very gracefull and the whip flows well into it's designated angle/plane.
Keep it up.

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Sven. Like Robby said , it's not about the crack but keeping it inline and on plane. Closing my eyes in the earlier sessions, I believe, helped a lot.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Sven, Ron, my compliments to your videos !!!
Both of you did a great job and I've noticed that both of your are not looking at the thong after changing the plane (something I need to work on) - well done !!!

Robby, about your question in post #37 - "I would love to hear why all the others don't participate."
I apologize for my sporadic presence in the 10/10 challenge in recent times !!!
Even before this exercise (Planes & Angles) started, I didn't participate as as much as I should have. I wanted to participate more after my lack of presence, but on last friday (26th of may) my computer started to crash over and over.
I wasn't able to save all of the important data from my internal hard drive to an external hard drive since the only external hard drive which I own has already been filled to the maximum level of data. Therfore, I had to wait until a friend of mine lended my an empty external hard drive so I could save all of my data, erase all existing data on my internal hard drive and make my PC work again.
The videos which you are contributing to this challenge are prieceless and I apologize for making it look like I don't care !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todays practice fealt like a little step back compared to my previous planes and angles sessoins but I'm confident that tomorrows practice will be better.
Here is a litte video of todays practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUput37 ... e=youtu.be

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben that looks like an excellent job.
I absolutely love how your whip flows.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, thank you very much for your kind words - they mean a lot to me !!!

Here's another video of todays practice - this time with a little "I got my eyes closed" proof but with no real progress compared to the first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-S65v ... e=youtu.be

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Very nice Ben. I can see you feeling where the whip is and what it's doing.
Bells..... your whip sounds like bells? That's awesome. ;)
Nice job.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I've just checked in. I have some catching up to do, I see. Thankfully I think i'm fully healed and looking forward to getting back into some whip cracking tomorrow so I can give this exercise a good run :) I've hardly even cracked my new whips! See you all tomorrow :)
Sven van Leeuwen

Ben that looks really well. The whip also seems to flow very good.
Keep going.

Sven
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, thank you very much !!!
If I were able to make a whip which sounds like bells I'd probably make a long 24 palit whip and call it "Big Ben" :)

Russel, its great news that your shoulder has fully healed and I'm wishing you lots of fun trying out your new whips !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Big Ben, I like that. It would suit you.

Have anyone of you noticed that after this drill, every time you throw a whip, no matter which crack you are doing, you are way more conscious of the plane and angle and speed?

I think this drill is one of the best yet. It suits every single crack.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”