Planes and Angles 05/21/2017 to 05/31/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Sven, thank you very, very much !!!
I didn't see you post (#58) while I was typing my post #59 - I apologize for my late response !!!

Ron, I agree with you - this drill works wonders in terms of developing a feel for the whip/ controlling the whip !!!

All the best
Ben
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Ron, it sure does make one more aware
Inch by inch.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Ben, no problem whatsoever.

Ron, you absolutely right. It makes you more concious, more aware of the whip and what it does.

Sven
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for welcoming me back Ben. Nice progress in your video mate :) This is a good exercise. I'm at the park now making a video. I'll post it soon
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I look forward to seeing your progress with this drill Russel.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi guys and gals, here is my clip.
It was a bit rushed, I walked the dog and lost track of the time. I had to get back home because my wife needed the car for her driving lesson.
For the second part of the drill I tried doing it with my eyes closed. It was actually better I thought. I feel I need to do more timing exercises to isolate the snap at a more horizontal plane though. I will be practicing this more later on today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiQOfw ... e=youtu.be
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, I'm not sure that's what Robby's drill was showing.
It showed that the end of the handle just came up to about face high or so and, not moving the arm and pivoting at the elbow, slowly "cracking" the whip pretty much with out the noise of the crack. Just the motion of keeping it on angle and on plane.
If it was because of the length of the whip that would be another thing and you did well.

Over all your technique is getting better and better with the full swing.
Nice job.

Thanks for posting the video.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Ron, I know i'm definitely guilty of making a crack with the whip.
The message I got from Robby's video that the exercise is about learning to move the whip in different angles without looking.
I focused on this at the expense of proper technique. Thanks for pointing that out. I will remember that next time I practice :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Russell, thank you very much for sharing your video - your first day practice looed better than most parts of my first session - well done !!!
About the looking vs. eyes cloesed issue: what helped me was to look at the anchor point in the beginning and then slowly starting to reduce using my eyes.

Yesterdays practice has been very short - I ususaly do more than 10 minutes once I'm at my practice spot but on top of the rain a thunderstorm started and I decided to go home after doing 10 minutes of practice.
Overall yesterdays practice fealt better. After the first 5 minutes I keept my eyes closed throughout my practice and my wife told me on what plane I should go next in a "chaotic order" ("normal, 45, 90, normal, 90, 45" - and so on).

All the best
Ben
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I haven't checked in for a few days, but I'm still working on this. You're right, Ron, this makes you really conscious of where your whip actually goes
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Todays practice has been fine - no step back and no real improvement. My moment of success was that I was finaly getting somewhere with the victorian cutback (I've been practicing the victorian cutback once and a while after I finished my regular 10/10 practice).

Happy cracking everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Good job with the cutback.
The planes and angles drill helps with that one and all the others as well.
Good progress.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron !!!

Yes it does help me a lot: it realy gets me into a "slow cracking mode" (just like the slow snap excercise) and I've been able to improve on pretty much every other technique which I've tryed after my 10 minute P&A session :) !!!

All the best
Ben
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Y'all are doing great- I wish I was :-)

I'm out for this week as I have tests. On top of tests. Just wanted to let y'all know, even though I do not post video.
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben, those clips look really good: wonderfully relaxed!

Russell, I have to agree with Ron: what you're doing looks good, but I don't thinks it's quite what Robby intended - although, as Ron suggests, that may be due to using a longer whip. (I love the way your dog flops down as you coil up the whip, as if to say, 'Well, you've done that one pretty well - and I helped, too!' :) )
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Rachel, I'm wishing you great success on your tests !!!

Robert, thank you very much !!!

All the best
Ben
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thank you Ben, after two months ill be back with a little more time to come back to cracking.
Inch by inch.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

I know the 10days have already passed, but I just came back from a long weekend away and I wanted to upload one more video of my progress (if that's what you can call it :) ).

The video quality is a bit bad. I'll do better next time.
https://youtu.be/W1o_HQuEa_k

I also sincerely hope Robby hasn't given up on the 10/10. I really want to learn more and become a better handler.
If however this is the last excersice of the 10/10, than I'll accept that and keep practicing what I've learned so far.
In any case thank you Robby and Ron for the effort put into the 10/10 so far.

Sven
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Way to go, Even! I think that's the right spirit!
Inch by inch.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Sven
Sorry I have a new phone and it autocorrects every darn thing I type
Inch by inch.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”