The Tasmanian Cutback from 5/8/2017 to 5/17/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

This works best with a light whip. I think something like a signal whip would be best. Also, don't wear a hoodie. Also...It was a difficult cutback day. Ill try again tomorrow.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Sven, it works really well. I smacked myself in the back or head so many times before trying that trick. Turning it slightly really did the trick.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Here's the video of my results on day 1.
It's not pretty at all.
However I did get a couple of cracks. :)
When it happened it surprised me and made me laugh. :)
It's waiting for the thong to reach the other side and form the loop that I believe I'm missing. Along with holding it out at an angle.
I also can't get my arm to the middle of my back and the whip handle to verticle.
I should have turned around for the video. Oh well, next time.

https://youtu.be/qoPBk-p6acw

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey people. It's good to see some effort going into this thread :)
Hey Ron, I think you may be being hard on yourself. I thought it looked pretty good for day 1! Like you I am thinking I may do a video with my back facing the camera, hopefully people can more easily see if the technique is correct, and better comment on improvements or changes needed.
I loved it when you got a crack and laughed!
Good work to you Sven & Ben. I'm looking forward to hearing / seeing your progress too.
I managed to only get about 10 minutes to give this one a go today, so I didn't take a video. Yes, it was another very humbling experience. I did not even get one crack. I did not hit myself too often, when I did it was my legs! Maybe I am making this too hard on myself, but I am using my 8 foot bullwhip for this. Like the Coachman's, I am going to break this down, the way April and Bethany explained in their video. That was really helpful. However I like the smooth action Adam has with his technique.
For myself I can see I am going to have to work hard on this one.
All the best with your future efforts people :)
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Thank you Russel.

Ron. To me it seems your doing well for day 1. I had a similar reaction when I heard that crack :)

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

The flexibility of my arm is a major obstacle in this one.
I might have to try Adam's method to see if that works with out better than
having to get the hand straight high up in the back as in April's example.

Ron
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Now this is what I needed, this bloody crack has been my bugbear since day one haha.

Today's practice has just been a lot of flailing. I can get the crack, but not without contorting my wrist strangely. That's not good.

My camera's currently on the blink, but I'll see if I can get some video tomorrow.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robert, Rachel thank you very much :) !!!

Quote from Jessie:"This works best with a light whip." Well I'm just starting to develop a feeling for this technique but I can only underline what you've said - I've had a lot more success doing the tasmanian cutback when I was using a whip which had less weight than my orange practice whip.

Jesse, thank you very much for pointing out how important it is to keep the handle at an angle to avoid unwanted "thong contact". I haven't hit myself after I've started paying attention to that !!!

Quote from Russell:"Hey Ron, I think you may be being hard on yourself. I thought it looked pretty good for day 1!" - I absolutley agree !!!

Thank's Russell :) !!!
I'm pretty shure that you'll nail this technique with an 8 footer just like you've nailed every other technique that we have tryed so far !!!

Todays weather has been very camera friendly and I was able to shoot a small video of todays practice. It fealt like a little step forward compared to yesterdays practice.
It's nowhere good or constant but the fact that I'm starting to improve on this technique feels awesome :) !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJFNxu ... e=youtu.be

I also need to practice my off hand a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06J07I ... e=youtu.be

Have a nice day everyone !!!

all the best
Ben
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Matt, I'm looking forward to see your video !!!

the body mechanics also fealt strange for me compared to the standard cattlemans crack but the more often I'm tryinig to do this the more I get used to it :)

All the best
Ben
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben, it looks to me as if your form in this crack is already pretty good. Now, as you acquire more confidence, you should be able gradually to speed up a bit - and suddenly, you'll find you're just doing it! Well done! :)

(I really admire your patient, thoughtful, workmanlike approach to this whole art.)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that looks very good.
Both hands..... very nice. One looks like the other and they both look good.

I noticed you had good success when you did one in the front and combined it to one in back.
I think your form is spot on.
Very good job. :)

Ron
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Ben, glad to hear it helped. I ended up hurting myself a lot before realising that would fix it.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

If you have to have pain to have gain, then I'm gaining a lot.
Adam's method was not better for me at all, so it's back to the first one.
The crackin' average is not getting better but it's early. I have faith.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

My practice session yesterday was... frustrating. I'll post a video tonight so you guys can see what's happening.

I can't get it done, I think I'm not flexible enough to get my arm straight behind my back. I keep tangling the whip up and I think I destroyed the cracker.
I first have to put another cracker on.

Well I'm off to work, see you tonight.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Sven, as I've said before, I know I'm not flexible enough even to try this one! :P
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Haven't had much time to work on this outside today, but working with a house snake has given me a feel for the angle I need to get. This is one of the more counterintuitive ones
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Matt, 'house snake' is a new term for me. I like it! :)
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Glad to be of service, Robert :). I didn't know a real name for a compact, quiet snakewhip, and so 'house snake' was born
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I think it's an excellent name! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

No filming today. It was too dark by the time the lawn and dinner were finished. I did get back out and work on this one. Just about every other one is cracking. The others have the "wiff" or nearly cracking, but just not moving fast enough. Haven't really hurt myself, but came close.
-Mark Twain

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”