The Tasmanian Cutback from 5/8/2017 to 5/17/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I am going to have to say goodbye to this one.
My shoulder is hurting a little and not to injure it I am listening to my body. :(

Jesse, that sounds like you are getting reacquainted with it and that's a good thing.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Ron, if it's hurting you, definitely stop. I think we would all rather see you be without pain than in agony and doing this crack.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, Jesse is quite right: if it's hurting, stop!

It's always important to listen to one's body - at least, if one is reasonably active. However, I think it was Oscar Wilde who said, 'When I feel the desire for physical exercise, I lie down until it has passed.'
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I knew I liked Oscar for some reason. :)

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Ron, that's very understandable. I would do the same thing.

I couldn't find any time to practice today as we bought a new secondhand caravan and I had to put my time in that thing.
But tomorrow is a new day.

Take care all.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey guys, I haven't had much time to practice my whip cracking lately. I gave this another go today but I have had very little progress.
I'm lucky to be able to get the whip to form a loop, much less cutback, or get a crack. I need some exercise with flexibility I think lol.
I did something to my right shoulder the other day, and it does not respond well to this whipcrack, it's been slowly healing, so I elected to try with my left.
It's back to the drawing board... I think i'm going to have to have more time to learn this one. It definitely looks easier to perform than it looks for me.
Good luck all
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, believe me I know how you feel.
Perhaps after 10 days we can extend this one. But that's up to every one.
You still have 4 days left for this one.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Extend doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd love to be able to do this one, but I really can't find the time this week.

I know that I can also practice outside the 10/10, but I'm very happy of the feedback that's given here during the 10/10.

But ofcourse I don't speak for everyone and it's absolutely no problem if we do another one the next ten days.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I appreciate your input Sven. :)
Is there anyone else that would like to extend this ?

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robert, thank you very much :) !!!
You are right - I have been using too much force and speed and I've tryed to do this technique with less force and more finesse ever since.

Thank you very much Ron !!!
Yes, doing a circus crack in the front did help me to develop a feeling for how much wrist action is required. While doing the circus crack in front, I've tryed to use very little forearm action and more wrist action since the movement of the forearm is very limited while doing the tasmanian cutback.
It's very important to listen to your body especialy when the risk of an injury is involved - you did the right thing Ron !!!

Jesse, (post #32) same here :) - thank's again !!!

Sven, you are right: this technique requires a lot of flexibility and I'm also thinking of doing excercises that will make me more flexible !!!

Matt, I also like the name "house snake" !!!

Russell, I hope that you're right shoulder will be healed soon and I'm wishing you great success with your practice !!!

Ron, about the extention: I do need a lot more practice in order to get constant results with the tasmanian cutback and I would like to extend this too.
If the goup will decide to move on to another technique then I can practice the tasmanian cutback for mayself paralell to the new technique - in other words: I'm open to whatever the group will decide and I would personaly favorise to extend the tasmanian cutback practice.

I've tryed to use less force and speed on my last practice sessons and it's very slowly improving. As an excercise I did the slow snap excercise behind my back (on the tasmanian cutback plane) which helped me to get in a very "slow cracking mode". What also helped me a lot was to warm up before practing with a whip. It lowers the risk of injury and my shoulders didn't feel stressed after the training session.

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, what a good idea to do the "slow snap" in the same plane as the cutback.
Warming up before hand is a great idea as well.
You are doing it right and the results will be evident in a big way.

It's official.
The Tasmanian Cutback will be extended for another 10 days after the 17th to continue until the 27th of May.

Ron
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Good idea, I'm really not getting anywhere with this. I used to be able to do it, but I can't for the life of me get the whip to travel in the right plane.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Sven van Leeuwen

So, I'm really gonna need your help with this one guys.
I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't understand what...

There's no audio, sorry
https://youtu.be/BkectMQLiWg

Thanks in advance,

Sven
Sven van Leeuwen

I wasn't really in shape. But am I too fast? Too impatient?

Sven
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Sven, it honestly looks like you are hitting the thong on the wrist strap and that's throwing you off. I've actually found a slightly faster upswing to be beneficial as well.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I think Jesse is right about the first part of the swing.
More momentum would help keep the thong extended a little longer with the tip dipping down for the reverse swing.
It also appears that the wrist strap is getting in the way some as well.
Perhaps holding the handle pointed away from your body a smidgen more might help that.

I too had a problem in not being able to bring my hand up to the middle of my back / shoulder blades. It's hard to create enough wrist snap alone to be able to complete this crack.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Ok. Thank you Ron and Jesse, I'll see what I can do about the wrist strap in today's exercise.

Sven
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Sven, I can't do this crack at all due to an arthritic shoulder, but it seems to me (and was obvious from the very first crack) that you stop your swing too soon. You're throwing the whip into the ground, and not giving it time to form a loop. Try bringing your arm/hand right up to your right side - that is, with the handle perpendicular to the ground at the end of the swing - and see what happens.
'Less is often more!'
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Hi.

Just stepped into this one. And succeded on the 4th crack and onwards with 70% successrate... dont know what i am doing wrong :-)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Morten, it looks like you're doing something 70% right. :)
Good job.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”