The "Slow Snap" drill from 4/28/2017 to 5/7/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

The "Slow Snap" drill from 4/28/2017 to 5/7/2017

Post by Ron May »

Here's the slow snap drill produced and posted by Robby in case you missed it.
https://youtu.be/JLah9iRssOY

This, like he said in the video, looks simple but I think looks can be deceiving.

Happy cracking every one. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

The official start of this exercise is tomorrow but I couldn't wait to give it a go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAcCS5 ... e=youtu.be

This is not easy at all. Too much energy and it comes back farther than was demonstrated by Robby's video. Not enough energy and it just kind of drags on the ground.

If I use my arm a little bit at all, it comes all the way back to me. So, I'm just using the wrist snap with as little energy as I can at this stage of the drill.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Yahoo!!!! Finally got the video to play!

This is indeed a tough one! You think it looks easy and then too much power and duck!

Robby, And no beard :-) the whiskers have disappeared ;)
Between those construction workers and the church bells.... Oh my goodness I think you were exercising a lot of patience :p
That's hilarious!

It's no secret the underhand gives me trouble.... So this drill is spot on. A great warmup before I practice a crack. Thank you very much for this lesson, maybe I can finally get the underhand after I start understanding these two lessons better.
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I just saw the video and I think this one will really be my nemesis.
This feels like a lesson in absolute finesse....
That was funny with the construction work lol. It's a conspiracy!!! :D
Glad to hear your video is working Rachel :) All the best with this one people :)
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

I've sneakily already practiced this one in yesterday's practice. I know, I'm too impatient, got to work on that.

But it definitely is not easy. I regularly put just a tad too much force into it and there it came flying back at me. I'll make a video of today's practice. See you all tonight and good luck with this one.

Sven
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Take your time, folks. The things, I'm going to teach you, will look easy. But they are not :) Which is good, because that way you'll build up way more finesse and feeling for your whip. And the other aspect... You will drastically improve your hand/eye/body coordination. It is a long way, and the steps will be veeeery small.

The difference between a good whip handler and a true master is not that big. The difference between the average youtube whip guy and a good whip handler is a canyon! I can't promise that I'll make you whip masters, because I only teach basics, but if you work hard, I can promise that you will become good whip handlers.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Sven I am doing the same thing! Little too much....!

Robby that makes all the difference in the world.
Inch by inch.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, thank you very much for the time and effort that you are putting into this challenge !!!
I love this new excercise since using too much force and speed has always been my major problem and the slow snap is a great technique to work on that.

Ron, your practice looks very good. The beginning of your video looks very good and you get even better towards the end of your video - Congratulations !!!

As expected the slow snap is not as easy to do as it looks in Robby's video (at least for me :) ).
When I use too much force the whip will fly back at me and when I'm using too little "force" then the whip will "wobble" around insted of forming a loop. The perfect "spot" in between using too much and too little force is very "small" (finding this spot seems to be the biggest challenge for me on this exercise).

Here is a small video of todays first slow snap attempts - I apologize for the typo in the title (slow sanp):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9A2Im ... e=youtu.be

Happy cracking everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben that looks pretty good to me.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

I hate to break promises, but I didn't got around to practice today. So no video yet. Sorry.

But I watched Ben and Ron's video, looking good. Can't wait to join in.

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sven, even the best of plans get changed.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi everyone :) I hope you are well.
Ben, Ron, your slow snap is off to a very good start :)
It's raining here all weekend, so i'm not sure if I will get a video in. I did manage to get a little bit of practice in after work yesterday. It's actually not as difficult as I thought it would be. Just a bit of fine tuning to really nail the snap with the exact amount of momentum.
Take care folks.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

I get to practice when I go out and wax a whip and feed the pups in a bit. This will definitely help my problems with the underhand.
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Nice :) Always on the move!
Sven van Leeuwen

And I'm off, here my video after practicing this one.

I constantly have to tell myself to slow down. It's a tough one.
I wasn't sure however if the whip has to crack, cuz mine doesn't. But I'm also not good at the regular underhand, maybe that's why.

But I have to start somewhere and that's why we're here for.

https://youtu.be/mdQj2kla9H8
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank you very much Russell and Sven !!!

Quote from Sven: "I wasn't sure however if the whip has to crack, cuz mine doesn't."

Hi Sven, I think the whip is supposed to be "snapping" during this excercise (snapping means that the whip doesn't make a loud crack - only a little "pfffff" sound or "baby crack").
A way that helped me to get a little snap during my practice was to focus specificaly on the wrist movemet (flicking the wrist).
I think if you try to do the "wrist flicking motion" a little bit "earlier" during the upward movement you will make the whip snap. If you don't feel comfortable doing this flick "earlier" then positioning you hand a little further backwards in the beginnng of this excercise might help.
The level of sensetivity (or level of "force") which you are showing in your video looks very good to me - thank you very much for sharing your video !!!

All the best
Ben
Sven van Leeuwen

Thank you Ben, I will try it the next time.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sven, that's what I noticed too.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Another good start by you guys :)
Here is my contribution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQwaHHgyeT8
I called it the short snap by mistake.
I also need to tone down the snap a bit. It is quite windy today, apologies about the noise.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Wish I could watch everyone's. I will try to get a video....
Keep it up!!!
Inch by inch.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”