The timing excrcise drill from 4/19/2017 to 4/28/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Yep! This one is great to teach staying on the same plane, snap the wrist... And timing. Listening to the whip....
That's a lot of what I've been missing.

I wish I could watch everyone's videos.
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, that's quite a good start. I haven't gone back to compare Robby's video with yours as yet, but I think your hand and forearm move around a whole lot more than his does....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert, I believe you are absolutely right.
I need to use my wrist more in stead of my whole arm.
This drill will either strengthen my wrist or sprain it. :) :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

Here's my contribution to this excercise. I missed day 1, but ok...

https://youtu.be/XV3LP4EDTUQ

When I went to edit the video I already saw some errors, but I wonder what you guys think of it.
I think my timing is very off, but please tell me.
When practicing I too had the whip wrap around my arm. Most noticably this happened when going from left to right and snapping it to the left.
Sven van Leeuwen

Ron, I hope it'll strengthen your wrist!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Sven, that's not bad at all! :)

I think, though, that you might find it easier if you can just feel the whip, and not look at it so much....
'Less is often more!'
Charlie Lindfield

Post by Charlie Lindfield »

Ron May wrote:Charlie, the "private" videos would be for every one who participates according to the guidelines of being committed to the challenge. It's not just for full members.
Yes, but adding hoops to jump through will result in fewer people participating in it, sure you'll get your core people who will participate regardless and people who don't mind the hoop, but it comes across as unnecessary and not exactly a friendly practice that welcomes/encourages first timers.
Ron May wrote: If these videos that Robby makes, which cost money to make, were open to every one, even those who are not participating, it would defeat the purpose of getting forum commitment.

Any one, including those who are just looking, would then reap the same benefit of those who do the time and commit and that would not be fair.
I understand that the videos cost time to make, but I was under the impression that Robby already owned the Whips, Camera and Garden/Space he is cracking in, is there is any costs that I have overlooked.
There are multiple other reasons to get forum commitment. Not everyone who cracks whips knows or looks at this forum, so already you have a reduced audience, its not like you are giving it out to the world and their dog (and my suggestion of reducing it to members only would reduce the audience even further if you didn't want other people to see it). Also regarding members, if someone can't post in the thread, how do you know that they are actually participating when they ask for the video so that they can participate?
Unless I have misunderstood the method of delivering the video, you are just creating more work for your selves and the people who want to participate.

While you think it would not be fair, I think that it would be kind and friendly, knowledge is something to be shared to benefit everyone in the community, and by sharing, more people will be willing to join in.
Sven van Leeuwen

Mr. Robert, I know what you mean. I'll need to practise in that.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Charlie, I believe Robby's videos are all filmed professionally, using two or three cameras - though I may be wrong.

The WB Forum is not aimed at a 'mass market'. The idea (as I understand it) is to create and maintain a closely knit community whose members can support each other in a very personally way. It's not just an impersonal library of information. I'm pretty sure that Robby's intention is not to be 'exclusive', but simply to keep it personal.

I can certainly see your point of view, but I'm not sure if that's quite the spirit of the Forum....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sven, that's looking pretty good.
Perhaps you might let the end of the thong curl up a little more before you snap your wrist in the other direction.
Keep up the good work and it will improve a lot.

Ron
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Charlie, what Mr. Robert said is exactly it.

If you have any questions or concerns that I can help with please PM me. :)

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Ron, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Why hello Charlie. We have not met. I am Jessie.

"Yes, but adding hoops to jump through will result in fewer people participating in it, sure you'll get your core people who will participate regardless and people who don't mind the hoop, but it comes across as unnecessary and not exactly a friendly practice that welcomes/encourages first timers."

Robby taking the time to make tutorial videos just for the members of Whip Basics is only a day old. The 10/10 challenge is only for the members anyway. I am sure you noticed the number of members in the WB community? Robby is not out to gain popularity, become some kind of cooperation or make millions off of the idea behind Whip Basics. He teaches those who want to learn. Those who want to learn, but are willing to work for the knowledge. This is why you start as a new member and work your way up. There is a plethora of information here from very successful and knowledgeable whipmakers and whip handlers. First timers have youtube, and facebook to gain interest. When they are ready to learn, they come here. This is not about friendly. This is about real knowledge for serious seekers. Anyone can observe, this is where you come when you are ready to become an apprentice. This is where the family is. This is where encouragement, support, and genuine concern is. Like Bobbi Holyoak says, the door is half open, You will get help and support, but have to research and learn on your own. We will all hold your hand while you work, but YOU have to work. Period. This is not a cooperation. No one cares about popularity or collecting souls here. Do you walk into a university expecting to leave on your first day with a degree? Nope. Welcome to University. If you want willy nilly information, popularity contests, and cooperate bullshit,. I can direct you to some epic Facebook sources and some great Youtube videos. If you want personal, hands on teaching, support and a family atmosphere, welcome to Whip Basics.

"I understand that the videos cost time to make, but I was under the impression that Robby already owned the Whips, Camera and Garden/Space he is cracking in, is there is any costs that I have overlooked."

No. It's not free. Robby gives up a lot of time and effort to record, edit, sync, these videos, using several cameras that he rents, in a garden that he rents, and they are just for us. The WB family. Like I said before, this is not a cooperation or a popularity contest. This is WB. It's different. You are coming from the direction of those people who want to get views, subscribers, and an audience. This is Whip Basics. It's different. You were allowed in, one out of many. You are apparently polite, friendly, and had an interest to put in the effort. Now you are here. The issue is not getting members. That's not how WB works.

I can comment more when I am clear. It's been a long day. Just take some time to get to know the forum as it is, Charlie. We are here to help you with whatever you might need. I'm sure Robby will have more to say tomorrow.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Did I hear my name...? :) There is not much more to say - Jessie summed it up perfectly. I don't want the masses here. I want folks who are interested. And the 10/10 challenge... That first video was very plain and not expensive. The other videos I produce for WB - the reviews and the WB shorts are shot with more cams. Cams, I have to rent. I don't own all that stuff. Waaaay to expensive for me. The editing takes some serious time, too. Overall it costs.

When I produce videos, I do that for those who participate. I don't do the videos as entertainment. The good news: Everybody can participate. Not interested to work hard on your skills? No problem. But no video then. WB is - compared to Facebook groups and other forums, where nobody knows nobody, because everybody is posting under a false name and a false picture... - a tight knit community. Here you know what the people look like you're corresponding, with. You know what their names are. You talk to Jessie Edwards, to Robert Gage, to Sven Leeuwen, to Ron May and so on. And to me. WB is elitist, absolutely. But not because the folks think that they are better than others. WB is special, because the members are open and honest.

Now...

Sven - thank you for the video. But you do anything, except what I did :) You bring the whip up straight into the air and make it crack above your head. Here you go: Give the whip more time. Let the fall come down and then bring it up. But only enough energy to make it snap! The energy, you give the whip, is enough to bring it straight up into the air. That's a liiiittle bit too much. To round it off: More patience and time. Aside of that, you're on the right track.

Ron - what you are experiencing is called: Beginner :D That the whip wraps around your arm is 1. completely normal and 2. it happens, because you bring your arms higher and higher while you crack. That way you close the angle between your upper and under arm. And - hups - it wraps around your arm. "Hups" is german and means something like: "oops" ;) Serious - you're doing great. Just give yourself - and the whip - time. You will get used to it. I'm sure. The other thing; your wrists... I recommend to buy those simple spring steel clamps you use to strengthen your fingers. Any native speakers here...please help me! Thank you.

Let me say that again - the things, I'm going to teach you, will be complicated. And challenging. But when you master them, you will have a more than solid base. I'm going to teach you the moderate, the low tones. That'll take time. And ongoing practicing. Imagine how proud you can be for yourself, when you are succesful! And successful you will be. No doubt about that.

Robert - let me think...hm...okay, you can watch the videos, too ;)

And - Charlie - community does not mean that you get everything served on a silver plate. Community means, that you will always find helping hands when you need them. But to be a part of any community, you have to contribute, right?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Robby, I thank you for your observations and advise.

I know what you are talking about with the clamp spring thing. I have a rubber ball that's made for strengthening the hand and wrist and I am going to use it.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Robby, thank you! I'm going to work on that. I still got a few days :)
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That's really interesting Robby, thanks for taking the time to make this for us :).

I'm a couple of days late to this one, but I'll be giving it a good go. I'll try and take some video of my efforts tomorrow.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Sven van Leeuwen

I've just finished practicing. I'm using less force and wait more for the fall to curl to the other side. I'll make a video of tomorrow's exercise.
I hope I'm going in the right direction with this.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Torqued my wrist a bit but that was my fault.

Very good timing exercise! It's like playing scales for warm up for piano practice.
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Rachel, exactly.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”