The timing excrcise drill from 4/19/2017 to 4/28/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

The timing excrcise drill from 4/19/2017 to 4/28/2017

Post by Ron May »

Here's Robby's demonstration of this drill to keep it with this challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af_gloi ... e=youtu.be

Thank you Robby for taking the time to make this "video classroom" drill.

Have fun whipsters. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well with this exercise. I did some practice on this this evening. It was strange at first but I am starting to get the hang of it. It is a neat exercise.
However I found one side of the whip was much more stiff and it was harder to execute.
Good luck with your whip-cracking :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

It makes me happy if I can contribute to the 10/10 challenge, Ron. It's a bit sad, that only a very low number of folks will participate. But it's important not to punish those who try, because the others don't. Quite the contrary! The few who participate deserve the attention and help, right?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Why is this so hard for me? My wrist and hand is really hurting when I do this. Is it me or is my whip too heavy? I'm using my Einar whip, which tends to make my hand hurt when I use it anyway. :(

...Maybe the arthritis curse has got to me. I am only a few short weeks away from being...gasp...41. Shit. It's all over folks. I'm old.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, Robby's using his 6-foot Amper Special for this exercise. Perhaps your Einar whip is too long. (Is it an 8-footer?)

I've had arthritis in my left shoulder for at least fifteen years - largely as a result of coming off a motorbike about ten years earlier. But it's under control thanks to what is for me the miraculous effect of glucosamine sulphate plus cod liver oil, which I take every morning. Fifteen years ago, I thought I was going to need major surgery. Within six or seven weeks of the taking glucosamine, the pain became 'faint' rather than acute. (But I still can't crack a whip with my left hand/arm.)

And don't be ridiculous! You're not old! I'm old - or almost! I shall very soon reach 70. And yes, some of the parts are wearing out, but the machine still functions pretty well! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

My E-whip is only 6 feet. The handle and knot are both rather large for my fat little hand. I had considered taking the heel knot off and making a new one that is smaller, but realized the the diameter of the handle would make the downsize minimal if anything. I think what I should do is make an aluminum foil ball and add to it until I get a comfortable girly size, then use that as a guide when turning a handle. Maybe I need something "about that size" to make it all more ergonomic for the fat little hands.

You are too badass to be old Robert. As for me...Arthritis just sounds old...Rheumatism sounds older. Oh GOD! Rocking chairs and afghans! GAH!!!
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Absolutely Robby, absolutely.

I found this drill very difficult and taxing on my wrist as well.

It reminds me of the coachman's and not so much the cutback only much harder.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I personally struggle with any crack that required that snap of the wrist. (Ok, I struggle with most cracks ;) )(Underhand...etc). This looks like it would help with that as well as timing. It is difficult!
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

It's encouraging to see people participating and commenting with this exercise :)
I am using an 8 foot whip so it looks a bit slower then how Robby does it, but I can already feel the usefulness of how this exercise teaches timing.
I hope you all have a good day.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

:) I never promised that the things I'm going to show you will be easy. But when you come with me on that path, you will soon understand the difference between making a noise and the art of whip handling. The things, I'm going to show you are not spectacular. Not a big show. But they will help you to understand the whip as companion; as partner. Instead of a lifeless tool. Well - the few folks who participate, will...

On a sidenote I'm thinking of shooting my videos for this thread and posting them as strictly private. That means that I'll give the URL only to those who participate. The others can read in this thread, sure. But they won't see the videos, anymore. I don't like the idea to give the knowledge and advice to people who do not care. What do you think...?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Robby, I think that's an excellent idea.

It might help to generate more participation and reward those who do care enough about improving their skills to participate.

Ron
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

If been thinking of participating in the 10/10 challenge for a few weeks now, but I really don't like videotaping myself :). Mainly because my "whipcracking skills" have degraded a bit since the last time I cracked the whip.

But I think it's time to step over that stupid fear. This exercise seems like a nice way to pickup cracking again. This evenings will be a new beginning for me :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, that's probably a wise way forward. (I just hope that, even though I don't post videos - partly because I'm too clumsy to make videos! - I might be allowed to see yours!)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sven, improving skills is what this whole challenge is about.
It's for every one no matter what skill level they have.
I guarantee no one will make fun of or put any one down because of how they look.
Welcome to the group. :)

Mr. Robert, you are a participant and with the observations and advise you have already given. I think you are more than deserving to gain the benefit of Robby's classroom videos.

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Robby that makes perfect sense to make the videos private. I say that wether I am included on the list or not. If we are not interested enough or cannot find time to participate in some way that we can then we don't deserve to see all the special lessons.
Inch by inch.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

"WHETHER", not "wether"!
Sorry.
"Wether" is a castrated Ram. Big difference in meaning if you just miss the h.
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Give it "H" Rachel. :)

Ron
Charlie Lindfield

Post by Charlie Lindfield »

So I had a go at this, two days late, but it's better than not starting at all.

When I started I was getting the whip wrapping around my arm, which I'm guessing was because it had only been out of it's storage for a few minutes and not had time to stretch out properly, but after a minute it was popping nicely at the top. Occasionally it would pop slightly to the left or right but I think that was mainly going to quickly or slowly.
Robby Amper wrote:On a sidenote I'm thinking of shooting my videos for this thread and posting them as strictly private. That means that I'll give the URL only to those who participate. The others can read in this thread, sure. But they won't see the videos, anymore. I don't like the idea to give the knowledge and advice to people who do not care. What do you think...?

Robby
I know I'm new, so I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but surely making the videos private defeats the point of the community? While someone might 'not care' or be able to participate 'today' that doesn't mean that they will always be in that situation. I'm definitely going to be going back through some old posts and learning what I can from them and that includes the old 10/10 threads. If a video is made for a 10/10 thread (such as the one posted for this one) it might encourage some people who might not usually participate and it gives people who weren't able to participate at the time the ability to learn when they are able. I totally understand making the threads for members only, but it comes across as needlessly gating people out.
Sharing better the community.

As I said, I hope none of that came over as rude.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Charlie, the "private" videos would be for every one who participates according to the guidelines of being committed to the challenge. It's not just for full members.

Sharing with the community is what it's all about and that includes not only what you can get from the forum but what you put into it as well.

If these videos that Robby makes, which cost money to make, were open to every one, even those who are not participating, it would defeat the purpose of getting forum commitment.

Any one, including those who are just looking, would then reap the same benefit of those who do the time and commit and that would not be fair.

I don't consider asking being rude, but you should know that this forum is all about sharing and a steady commitment to be here and getting involved in the whole community.

Ron
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I can tell you this one is a tough on on my wrist.
After doing 10 minutes before the video it was already sore and tired.
It's got a very long way to go, but I can see the total benefit of it.
It is all about the timing.
It would wrap around my wrist or itself if I didn't keep it on the same plane.
Going from left to right I kept being impatient and not waiting for the end of the whip to curl up before changing the direction the other way.

https://youtu.be/ZgExfrI63X0

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”