Some Random Whips!

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Thank you, Craig! I do enjoy the assymetrical design as well, it really brings out the highlighted side! :D

So February has been an absolutely intense month for me - I've been plaiting almost nonstop, because I've had so many orders!

Firstly is a set of double 4.5 ft 16 plait bullwhips, which were quite stiff at first but really flick out nicely! English eye and double looped fall as always~

Next is a pair of 6ft 16 plait bullwhips, with the only instruction being "Yellow and black" :P

I think these ones turned out amazingly, they really pop out at you! Weirdly enough though, in natural lighting and grass, the black almost becomes....blue -

Nevertheless, they feel really great~

Next is a large order from a whip cracker who is actually teaching whip cracking in Cambodia if I remember correctly, so he ordered a bunch of whips! His only instructions were to use any colours I felt like at first.

The green/white and red/yellow ones are 4.5ft 12 plait bullwhips, with steel BBs in the core. He didn't like the lightness of them (since they're only 12 plait, even waxed they're quite light), so he requested that the last 3 be 5ft, with lead BBs as the core. The last three came out quite well, and actually felt quite good to crack - I might offer the lead BBs in the future, since it does give it ~1.5x the core weight compared to normal steel (mainly for thinner whips)!

My favourite of those five though, is the green one -

I've pretty much perfected my technique of transitioning colours ^_^ Very happy with my abilities in plaiting the colour change~

Anyway, hope everyone enjoyed the images! ^_^
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sparky, do you have hands and fingers left?
Great job in completing your orders, and your attention to detail is awesome.
The chameleon color change is super. I like it a lot.
I'll bet you're relieved to have all of these completed.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Beautiful work, Sparky. I really like the black and yellow.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Awesome Sparky!
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Such good work Sparky. As always, I am in awe of your knotwork.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Most impressive, Sparky! :)
'Less is often more!'
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Brandon, that green into yellow fade is great. Even though the colors don't sit well with me (they are after all the colors of my alma maters arch rival), the effect is striking. I love it!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thank you everyone! ^_^

Ron - I still have fingers, but they're peeling skin like crazy :P I actually fashioned myself some leather "cuffs" for my fourth finger, which took the brunt of the pulling, so they're fine, but all the others are still developing callouses!

Sir Roger - Thank you! I'd love to do more knot work as well, would love to play around with a "long" TH as the transition~

Scott - I agree, the effect is pretty cool~ May I ask, what's an "Alma Mater"?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Brandon, it's an old Latin term used to refer to one's College or University, although it has also been applied to High Schools. Literally translated, it means "nourishing mother" as such an institution can be thought of as nourishing one's intellect.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Brandon,
Wow, have you been plaiting! I like the black & yellow pair best. They look so cool!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Scott - I see! What were your uni's colours?

Ethan - yeah, my February was absolutely crazy :O And yeah, I do like them! Was so tempted to call them bumblebees :P
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Brandon, they are scarlet and brown. My wife's, however, are also green and yellow. She wears them when I've angered her. ;)
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Hey everyone, quick update on a whip that I've been working on. I had an idea, and galvanised by recent awesome works by members here, I decided to give it a go anyway!~

Here is the result so far - https://youtu.be/NVXHmW7gRk8

A 32 plait handle, on a normal 16 plait whip. What do you think? :D
I'm thinking I'll get into other patterns soon with this, if it works well in the wax (after I put the knots on).
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Sparky, all I can about that handle is 'Gracious!' :)
'Less is often more!'
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Damn man.. That is awesome!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thank you Robert and Jyri! I hope to make more awesome patterns soon~
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Oh! I forgot to say, while this isn't a perfect fancy plait, I really did enjoy plaiting the squares at the bottom!

Also, the dragon was actually designed by my girlfriend, who's been giving me a LOT of artistic ideas/images to use on whips :O
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Way cool. Sparky!
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Wow!
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Simply amazing work, Brandon. Very well executed.

I must get some pictures up of my 275 handle whip. Have to say, compared to you and Jyri, my basic chevron pattern is very much in the shade.

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”