The underhand crack 3/28/2017 to 4/6/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Day 2 of my Underhand Crack practice. I've managed to reduce the extraneous body movement but not getting a good 'snap' each time, more of a 'whpffftt'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByz9CW ... load_owner
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Rog, that's already a whole lot more relaxed than yesterday! Well done!

You might try starting with your left foot about 18 inches further forward. That way, you'll almost have to use more of your whole body (including the knees) to pull the whip forward, rather than jerking it. At the moment, it's only your arm that moves. The rest of your body is rigid - hence the jerk - but this is far less pronounced that yesterday. Try Robby's technique of thinking about something else altogether when you do this crack, and see what happens!
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Thanks Robert. I'll get out on Tuesday for another go.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

That's looking better Sir Roger.
Might try holding the whip a little more behind you at the beginning with out any slack.
It might give you more leverage and you wouldn't have to jerk your hand forward to produce the snap. That works ok with me.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Sir Roger Tuson wrote:Ha! That's great Russell. My dog Ruby is very scared of any loud noises and looks at me reproachfully when I take a whip out into the garden. Kelso, on the other hand, couldn't care less and totally ignores me when I'm practicing. He loves Firework Night and runs around the garden trying to catch the pretty lights. Ruby usually hides under the bed :(
It's great how dogs have different personalities like humans :) My dog doesn't like fireworks. He wants to bark but last Guyfawkes he seemed to have simmered down a bit :)
By the way good improvement with the underhand crack. I agree with Ron, Just my humble opinion, but I think you would gain a lot with the underhand crack by "dragging" the whip from further behind you shortly before flicking it.
Good luck with your continuing progress :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell Jones wrote: I think you would gain a lot with the underhand crack by "dragging" the whip from further behind you shortly before flicking it.
Russell, that's exactly what I meant by 'pulling' it forward.
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

whoops, my bad :)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Anyone familiar with the law of reverse effect will know what I mean lol.
It was kind of one of those days..... I was trying very hard to keep the plane straight though.

https://youtu.be/KnqsMDTHPms
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, that actually looks pretty good to me! Well done! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Robert :) I was getting a little frustrated because the whip goes a bit wobbly after the crack. (As you might expect)
I was trying to keep it nice and straight but it seems a bit impossible.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, I have no doubt that with steady practice over the coming months (and years) it will gradually get smoother. :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Woo hoo, plenty of time then :) I'm up for it!
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank you very much Russell, Robert, Ron and Matt !!!

Robert, you are right - I did jerk the whip forward insted of pulling it - thank you very, very much for your advice !!!

Sir Tuson, congratulations on your progress !!!

Russell, I share Roberts view - your practice video looks great !!!

I've tryed to follow Robert's advice on today's practice by pulling the whip insted of jerking it. From my personal feeling it did improve my underhand crack a lot and it fealt realy good to "let the whip do the work" insted of forcing the whip.
I still need to work on developing a muscle memory for the pulling motion in order to get constant results but it feels like a huge step forward to me :)

All the best
Ben
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Looking good Rog, although I echo what Robert says about standing with your left leg further forward :).

Great job Rus :).

As for my attempts, I only managed to get some quick video yesterday on the beach. There are two versions available: a silent one, and the other being a prime example of why not to lend your friends your camera. I'll put the silent version on here, and if anyone wants to hear the full, unedited video then PM me.

https://youtu.be/KgO-kkOlQYc
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben, my pleasure!

Thanks for posting this, Matt - even th09ugh it does wobble about quite a lot! :)
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Personally, I'm blaming the light whip in the sea breeze :P. Shall look into that though, thanks Robert :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I could be wrong, but my first impression was maybe he was commenting on the camera work?
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Nice video Matt.
It's looking better. It appears that you are using less force and that's always a good thing.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That does make sense, Rus, now I think about it :).

Thanks Ron, I'm always conscious of the force I'm using (or lack of, more to the point) now.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

The North Island of New Zealand has been hit by the tail end of cyclone debbie in the last couple of days, causing some havoc. We had about two months worth of rain within 24 hours so unfortunately I have not managed to get out to practice :( (Itchy whip fingers!)
I might do one more clip when I can though.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”