The underhand crack 3/28/2017 to 4/6/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks very much, Ron! I see it's hardy to Zone 8, which means I ought to be able to grow it! I'll have to look for one.... :)
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Here's my Day 1 of the Underhand Crack including comedy camera fail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zRFE61pHU4
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Well, those are good cracks, Rog - but (as you invite comments), I'd make several points:

Your whole body jerks with each crack. You bend your knees, drop your right shoulder, and thrust your mid-section forward and slightly to the left. I doesn't look very relaxed - and I think you can use far less force!

Part of the problem may be that your body is very rigid before the crack - and you start with your whip-hand pointed straight at the ground. Try to be more relaxed before you throw the whip,and try starting with your hand a bit further back. Then, rather than jerking the whip forward, pull it forward in a nice smooth relaxed motion....

The end of your crack is good, bringing the whip up and over, ready for the next crack. Try using the least possible force, and just see what happens! This is only Day 1, after all!
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

Yes, I noticed that when I watched it over. I'll try and relax a little more and let it flow.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Over all nicely done Sir Roger.
I also noticed that you might want to start with the handle a little further behind you and using a smoother motion you won't have to jerk the whip forward but , like in throwing a bowling ball, accelerate through the motion and snap your wrist like you already do.

I really do like "Cold Steel". It behaves beautifully.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I like how you kept the camera fail in :)
Thanks for posting the video, after seeing how much you improved with the circus crack i'm sure you will nail this one ;)
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I'm liking the spin too Ron, very slick ;).

You're looking loads better already Rus, a lot smoother.

I agree with Ron, Rog, further back and smoother is my advice. Nice job though.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thank you Matt :)

Robert I believe you are right about my dog Keyzer. At first I thought maybe the whip cracking frustrated him but when noticing how he seems to have a sixth sense about when I am going to do whip cracking and his enthusiasm, I think he does indeed enjoy it!
And I have an idea for a little video clip I am thinking about making for you. Hopefully it will showcase how crazy he is lol
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

With today's practice I turned my focus on keeping the handle more in line with the vertical plane throughout the crack.
It's coming along.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, I look forward to that! I quite like crazy dogs! :)

Ron, that's good news!
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

This crack is still progressing.
It's a lot easier to know what you need to do, like keeping everything on the same plane, than it is to do it. :)

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron May wrote:It's a lot easier to know what you need to do, like keeping everything on the same plane, than it is to do it. :)
This, Ron, is my general experience of Life! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey Robert it isn't the best clip but I pieced one together for you. I hope you get the general idea about how much he likes the whip-cracking! :)

https://youtu.be/1gn3Vuj2o10
Sir Roger Tuson

Ha! That's great Russell. My dog Ruby is very scared of any loud noises and looks at me reproachfully when I take a whip out into the garden. Kelso, on the other hand, couldn't care less and totally ignores me when I'm practicing. He loves Firework Night and runs around the garden trying to catch the pretty lights. Ruby usually hides under the bed :(
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, that's terrific! If ever a dog said 'Wheee!', it's yours! Happy dogs make me grin from ear to ear. Thanks very much! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, your performance is great - it's always a joy to watch one of your videos !!!

Russell, your practice video is awesome and I like the fact that you end the underhand crack prefectly (the thong ends in a position where no adjustment is needed to start the next crack - superb !!!).
I also like the video of your dog during whipcracking !!!

Sir Tuson, I realy like the fact that you have used different whips in your video.
I also like practicing a certain crack with more than just one whip but it usually takes me two or three attemts to adapt my timing to the different length/weight of the whip.

Here is a video of my 2017 10/10 underhand crack challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPYG36 ... e=youtu.be

Happy cracking everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Ben :)

Good first video mate. I particularly like how you use both left and right hands! Great stuff.
I should adopt that habit too :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben, that's very good. I think you'll become even more relaxed over the next few days. Just try to avoid any tendency to 'jerk' the whip forward. Pull it! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that looks really good.
Nice job.

Ron
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Looking good Ben :).

I should have shot some video while I was out earlier. I'm going on a day trip to Whitby tomorrow, I'll see if I can shoot some video on the beach :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”