10 Cracks In A Row. 2/25 to 3/6 2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Robby, I know there's a cost vs. public need to think about, but I believe it's worth it.
It not only demonstrates the relaxed grip thought, but also how to use it to make it work in your favor. A reason to do something in a certain way is always a good teaching tool.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Awesome video Robby!
There's lots to absorb, learn and implement.
Thanks for taking the time to focus on this topic :)
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Robby I watched a bit of this- I have a little extra data this month.
That's VERY helpful, and it explains a lot. It also says- Relax even more!!!!!

Excellent!
Inch by inch.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thank you for this Robby, it's very useful :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Ben Varsek wrote:
Mr. Jones, what helped me a lot to devlop a feeling for the second crack of the crossover is to swing the whip in the crossover x pattern without cracking the whip. I then slowly started to flick my wrist when the thong had travelled to the 3 o'clock position with my thumb pointing into the same direction as the thong should travel (downwards diagonal).

Ben
Thank you for pointing that out Ben, it's inticacies like that which escape my attention.

I am aware that I have much practice to do before feeling comfortable with my execution of the crossover, well with everything to be sure.

Anything I can learn or be reminded of, I am grateful for. I have to make a more stubborn and honest effort to implement some things other members have recommended also.

Cheers mate :)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Robby Amper wrote:I did a little (crappy...) video for you today. Perhaps it can/will help you practicing those combinations. "The Robert Amper Method of the swiveling Handle". Don't take the name too serious, okay? ;)

It's all about time and patience. Don't get frustrated, okay? I know that it is frustrating. I was walking exactly the same path, you are walking right now. On the other hand - when you mastered all of those things - you can be really proud of yourselves!

https://youtu.be/UOsuXm1qsRU

Robby
OMG there are a few things in your clip I cannot wait to try out after I finish work.

Thanks again for posting this. The 10/10 Challenge is an awesome idea, and the discussion which is generated and the help extended on the forum is sure to help everyone's whip cracking!
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Mr Robby I just got a chance to watch the video and I will say that I think that you are wrong about one thing. It is NOT a (crappy) video. Any video that you make out of the kindness in your heart to try and help someone, there is absolutely nothing crappy about that. In fact that is a very beautiful thing. If anyone complains about the audio or video quality then they are missing out on the real message that I got from the video. What I saw was a man who truly cares about his community / family and will go to great lengths to help any and everyone no matter what their status or how long he has know them. You are not one who just talks the talk, you walk the walk. Someone will probably say that I'm kissing your ass but I just call it like I see it. Sir it is an honor for me to be a part of this community. Thank you for all that you do and for us and for the example that you give of what a real gentleman and a real friend is.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Nicely said Johnny.
Personally I don't see it as kissing his arse. You very eloquently expressed how I and I'm sure how everyone in the forum feels about Robby.
Awesome brother.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Bingo! Not, NOT a (crappy) video, for all the reasons already stated. This has already started helping me in trying much simpler stuff. Thank you!
Inch by inch.
Grant Weaver

Post by Grant Weaver »

Very nice video Robby. Very helpful to someone new to changing planes. Thank you!
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

I am still trying to lick the Fast Figure 8 (see the video I just posted there, where it is not a fast figure 8 at all) so I am uncomfortable going into this routine until I figure out what I am messing up there.

Robby, I wouldn't feel right about saying it was an invention either. But you can certainly promote a timeless technique, or improve upon one. I would hazard that most inventions are just improvements upon something anyway.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I couldn't wait to get home today, and practice hard out.

Unfortunately fortune had other ideas but I managed to get in about half an hour before dusk.
I actually really enjoyed slowing things down and trying out the 'swiveling handle' technique lol
I did make a video clip to demonstrate, but it had some swearing in it when I lost my cracker and couldn't find it haha
I tried to edit it out but for some reason my video editing program didn't like this clip.

Well it was fun, and i'm already looking forward to the end of work tomorrow!

Happy cracking all :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Tristan, we all follow, and practise, and advertise what others have invented. 'There is nothing new under the sun.' But just because it's been around for several thousand years doesn't mean it isn't new - and exciting - to me! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's practice was a little more concentrated in the cross over part of the combo.
It's looking better but still stiff feeling.
Boy, timing is everything.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robby, thank you very, very much for making the video on the swiveling handle !!!

I remember how you've shown me this techique at the meet&greet while I was handeling a very heavy whip and I loved how "wrist firendly" this method is. My wrist had alredy been stressed by a couple of conventional circus cracks and I was surprised with how much less effort a heavy whip can be handled using the swiveling technique.

There have been thunderstorms in my area today but I was able to practice outside before the lightning got too close :)
It didn't feel like I was making any progress today compared to yesterday but at least it didn't feel like taking a step back.

All the best
Ben
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Johnny, I definitely can relate to the wrist wrapping! Also, on many of my cracks, it likes to wrap around my ankle.

It's like learning to dance, I imagine. If it were so easy, everyone would do it. But it's fun. Just keep at it. There's no magic bullet.

I got 30 minutes in today, but *mostly* working on my FF8 technique. However, as I'll post over in that thread, I think I made some major progress today.

Ron, as always, you make it look effortless, like the whip's energy is in synch with you.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Yesterday was time to practice the second part of the combination.
Trying to get the smooth flow throughout is proving to be quite difficult.
I still have to use a cheat sheet but it won't be long before it will all work together.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yesterday I continued to practice the cracks individually. I am finally starting to get the fast8 it is not good but I am happy that I can at least get it. Then I practiced the combo getting used to the transition from one to the other trying to get them to flow. I have a couple of buddies coming over today both of which I have introduced to cracking. I plan on getting them to practice with me and maybe getting one to video me, If I can keep them away from the horse shoes long enough.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Johnny, practicing with someone else is always a lot more fun.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Congratulations on your progress Tristan and Johnny !!!

Today I've been practicing as slow as possible. The whip didn't crack at all techniques but I think this exercise is helping me to develop a feel for this combo.

All the best
Ben

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”