10 Cracks In A Row. 2/25 to 3/6 2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I didn't have a chance to do a video on the first day so here's the second day of practice video.
I had to take my safety glasses (cool shades that make be look bad ass) off because I couldn't read the "cheat sheet" with the sequence of the cracks on it.
I was having real trouble remembering the order of the cracks while trying to do all ten.
I was also having difficulty in executing them as well so I am breaking it up into two parts.

This is the first half of the 10 crack sequence.
The cross over is still very uncomfortable for me and I am still not doing it correctly. I'm still doing it more as an overhead in stead of cross over.
The fast 8 is still a little slow. These are the two main things I will be working on tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/4UQj_RScwkw

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Good stuff Ron.

I always enjoy seeing your display of finesse. You are looking good.

Please pardon me as I am no expert, still a work in progress for sure, but if I may, I believe the theory from Robby's DVD that with the crossover, after the first diagonal forward crack, the handle of the whip is supposed to finish just above the left side of your hip as you turn your body slightly towards the left.
Then you bring it upwards and outwards then downwards to form the second part of the 'X' in front of you.
I hope that makes sense and please if I have left anything out or got the idea wrong anyone please correct me.
At least this is what I have been trying to achieve.

Thanks for posting the video :)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, you are absolutely right.
Your observation is quite correct.

My mind says to do that, but my poor abused left ear says, "Nuh uh." :)
This is what I need to concentrate on.

Thank you Russel for your observations. I appreciate it greatly.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

You are very welcome Ron.

I haven't watched that section of the DVD for a few weeks and was hoping my memory hadn't failed me.

Hahaha yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes conforming your body to do what your mind is telling it to do can take some refining, and tedious repetition.

I have spent a bit of time on the crossover, but always find the second part of the X the hardest to pull off.
I still need much practice.

Cheers
Grant Weaver

Post by Grant Weaver »

Ah I see know, I was confused. Pardon me, I didn't read carefully enough. I made a video anyways, so I'll follow your advice, Ron, and throw it up in the videos section. I'll have to give Robby's 10 crack routine from volume II a try tomorrow and share it with you. Also Ron, your fast 8 looks fine to me. You're correct, the only real problem is the cross over flick turning into an overhead. Your cracking looks quite marvelous, very nice job.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, your patience is really inspiring! Well done! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Hah, Ron! Is that cool :) I had a cheat sheet myself, years ago :) You're doing fine - just go on and one day you won't understand why some of the cracks were difficult for you in the past!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Hello everyone I didn't make a video for the start of the 10/10 but I will give you the run down of my practice sessions. Individually I can successfully get every crack besides the reverse part of the fast figure 8. I spent an hour yesterday morning and another half an hour yesterday evening practicing and 80 % of that was trying to get that fast 8. I tried the open the book method but mainly the problem was the whip was wrapping around my wrist. I thought that I had my arm at enough of an angle to prevent that but apparently I'm still not doing something right. I think that I got a successful fast 8, maybe 5 times at the most. I am at a serious speed bump in my learning curve and it is very stressful to say the least. I will continue working on it tomorrow and also try to start combining some of the other cracks. I know that the main thing in a combination is setting up to smoothly transition from one to the next so I'll devote a little more time to that as well. Peace out.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Mr. Robert and Robby.

Johnny, I've found that single cracks can be "mastered" , sort of, but combining them smoothly is not as easy as it looks.

Besides learning how to crack a whip, it's also teaching me patience and perseverance.
It's wonderful to be able to do this here at WB.

Ron
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's practice results.... *sigh*.
It's coming along, but very slowly.
The crossover is looking a little better but it seems the only way I can do this is
to turn and sort of walk it in.
After 30 min of practice and making the video it kind of wore me out a little.

It continues.

https://youtu.be/_XcXdLimJhM

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron, I have absolute confidence that it will get steadily better! You look a bit worn out here - but you've got another practise-session under your belt. The goal will arrive!
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Mr. Robert. I am worn out.

I only planned to do the original "10 min." but I just could not let it end on a
negative note, so I continued until I felt that the session was ending in a better place.
That in it's self can be detrimental if fatigue is a factor.
Yeah, I'll get it no doubt sooner or later.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, my greates compliments to you - you are constantly showing a very effordless smooth and controlled style of whipcracking in your videos !!!

A cheat sheet sounds like a great idea for memorizing a combo like this one. I messed up my first combo attempt (first video which I've posted on this combo) because I forgot which crack would be the next one (I did a circus crack motion insted of "peparing" for the forward coachmans).

Mr. Jones, what helped me a lot to devlop a feeling for the second crack of the crossover is to swing the whip in the crossover x pattern without cracking the whip. I then slowly started to flick my wrist when the thong had travelled to the 3 o'clock position with my thumb pointing into the same direction as the thong should travel (downwards diagonal).

Grant, I'm looking forward to see your 10/10 combo video !!!

Johnny, speed bumps in learning curves are always annoying but I'm sure that you'll get the hang of the figure 8 cracks !!!

Todays practice has been fine. I'm still far away form getting the hang of this combo but I've made a little progress on the forward coachmans crack and the entire combo fealt a bit better overall.

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, I am glad that you're progressing well.
There's a lot to think about when doing multiple crack routines so a cheat sheet is allowed I think.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yes Sir it is wonderful. I have been familiar with a whip since was a teen but, it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how much more there was to learn. I am grateful to be among like minded people that not only inspire you to get better but, actually help you to get better as well. From the little nudges that Mr Robby gives in posts, to the Stick of Death, to his tutorial videos to all the posts and videos from Mr Ron and everyone else in the forum. It is all helping and it is all very much appreciated. Most people couldn't care less, but it takes a true friend to want you to better yourself. You guy's and gals are what makes W.B. so great. Thanks yall.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I did a little (crappy...) video for you today. Perhaps it can/will help you practicing those combinations. "The Robert Amper Method of the swiveling Handle". Don't take the name too serious, okay? ;)

It's all about time and patience. Don't get frustrated, okay? I know that it is frustrating. I was walking exactly the same path, you are walking right now. On the other hand - when you mastered all of those things - you can be really proud of yourselves!

https://youtu.be/UOsuXm1qsRU

Robby
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, I find this extremely helpful! Thank you very much! :)
'Less is often more!'
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Mr Ron I need a cheat sheet to find my cheat half of the time. The stepping in seems to be working for you.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Robby.

This makes total sense so that the natural curve of the whip is always in position to finish the crack and also to switch to a different plane.
The swivel is essential I think.
Not fighting the whip and working in partnership with it is a new concept for me and it really does make sense.

Terrific video.

(love your sense of humor :) )

Ron
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Thank you :) Do you think, it is helpful enough to produce a "proper" video on that subject? Because I would never dare to say that I "invented" a way to crack a whip at all...! I mean - how many millions of people cracked whips over the last few thousand years? And no one came to the idea to crack the whip with the curve? Or to let roll the handle in your hand?

It makes me always raise my eyebrows, when I read or see that someone invented a new way of cracking. Really? Invented?
Anthony DeLongis was business wise very smart to call to crack a whip with the curve "The DeLongis method of the rolling loop". Absolutely! Business wise just perfect. But in reality people are cracking whips with the curve for centuries and longer.

Hm. Let me know what you think, okay?

Robby

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”