10 Cracks In A Row. 2/25 to 3/6 2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on in a few days. I have been working from can till can't. I have been getting a lot of funny remarks about my STRAW OF DEATH. During my lunch break I have been taking the straw from my big gulp fountain drink and using it to go through the motions. One guy said either your on something or you need to be. I guess the sound effects didn't help. I am hoping to get home at a more reasonable time after a few more days. Hope practice has been good for everyone.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's rain was disappointing but the stick of death came through once again.

Johnny, I can only imagine the looks you were getting from those around you.
Just put your head phones on to keep the sound effects private. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hey guys, good to hear that you have been practicing too :)
I took another couple of video clips today. I'm quite happy with my progress but I need to practice this more before I am happy with my technique.

I snuck in a new combo I dreamed up with the Victorian Cutback :)

Front view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_U8U2j ... GZ&index=7

Side view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BnFdY ... WYUgWnECGZ

Good luck guys :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Johnny, I love your Straw of Death! :)

Russell, that looks like great fun! It also looks more energetic than I think I could manage - at least at the moment. Perhaps, as the weather improves and I get outside more.... (I think it would look even more cool if you can manage not to turn your head to the right to look at the whip in the middle of the crack. I think you're doing what Robby has criticised me for doing - what he calls 'having graph paper in the mind'. I suspect we both need to 'feel' our cracks more - which, counter-intuitively, means thinking about them less!)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Robert, it was good fun :)
I can see why Robby points this out in his DVD's, about facing forward and not looking at the whip in order to gain the feel for it.
I noticed this in previous videos and have tried to correct it, only to find I could no longer perform the fast figure eight without at least glancing at my arm lol weird. Still i'll have to keep focusing on that one.

Yes Johnny, The Straw of Death lol good to see you being so dedicated though!
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Nice going Rus, looks great :). I'd suggest using a shorter/lighter whip though, it seems like you're having to muscle that one into doing what you want.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for the sound advice Matt.
I'm looking into getting a shorter bullwhip with a longer handle, perhaps a stockwhip better suited to combination cracking.
Cheers :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Johnny, it's awesome that you keep on practicing despite the fact that you're work is very demanding at the moment !!!

Ron, I wish I could share some of that whipcracking freindly weather in my area with you !!!

Russell, thank you for sharing your practice videos !!!
You realy seem to have gotten the hang of this combo - well done !!!
I've noticed that you tend to do the last crack of this combo (horizontal crack) in a diagonal plane.
Robby made a very helpful horizontal crack video in which he explains how to keep the thong traveling on a horizontal plane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoL1ZjA67Y

The last couple of days of my practice have been nice. Although I've had some "step back practice sessions", it still feels like I'm coming closer to getting the hang of this combo :)
On top of that the weather in my area has been very whipcracking friendly.

Happy cracking everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, the weather is finally good enough to practice today.
The grass is still a little wet, but that doesn't hurt a nylon whip.
The whip is not waxed so it does tend to gain nose weight as the practice progresses but that in it's self is not a bad thing.

I am about 70% in being able to do this combo missing about 3 cracks out of 10.
But even that is an improvement with 5 days to go, not including today. It's still a very fun combination to do.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi Ben,
Thanks for linking the horizontal crack clip by Robby. I should have been doing the horizontal crack, this is the technique I first learned from this very clip you have linked.
I have been delving into some other techniques too lately and I really like this one. (The Stockman's Crack) and I guess I am developing this habit of the downwards motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbYyf20 ... s&index=13

The motion of bringing your arm down to shoulder height does feel more natural and comfortable for me, but you are right, it is not a horizontal crack.

Anyway I hope that you guys are all enjoying your practice! So much to learn and it feels like there isn't enough time lol
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, the Stockman's crack in the video, I believe, is what Robby calls the diagonal circus / cattleman's crack, or diagonal crack.

But like he says each crack is known by almost by as many names as there are whip cracking practitioners.

I like this guy's style. Nice and relaxed.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ron
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's weather started out fine and that's when I should have practiced.
It turned, with an incoming cool front, to drizzly and wet.
So, it's another stick of death practice this afternoon.

For me this is a roller coaster ride. I'm still kind of stuck at getting 7 out of 10 of the cracks performed correctly. But all it takes is more practice and sooner or later I will be thinking and wondering what the big deal was in learning them.

Each day though, even if it seems like I'm not getting anywhere, I am making progress just the same.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, thanks very much for posting this - especially as I hadn't come across this 'whipmanable' chap before. As Ron says, he's very relaxed. I'll study this video carefully (and his others) when I can find some time....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert, except for holding the handle a little far up, in stead of by the heel knot, he does have a smooth technique.

But I have never thrown a stock whip so maybe the grip is a little different than a bullwhip.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

You're welcome guys.
The gentleman in the video is Peter Jack.
He brought out an instructional DVD some years ago, I believe this is what this particular crack is from. I stumbled across his you tube page by accident.
I agree, I really like his relaxed technique. You can tell he has proficiency too.
His "5 basic cracks" are somewhat a little unique in his own way, I definitely see things I would like to adapt into what I have learned so far too.

I've also just been watching Restita Dejesus doing a sidewinder combo. Quite magnificent! She definitely has much to offer for an aspiring whipcracker!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, you remind me that Robby has consistently spoken highly of Restita Dejesus, and I still haven't yet watched her videos with any care! Always more to learn! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Quite so mate :) I joined her group the Seattle Snapdragons before I joined whip basics last year. She has some good clips on YouTube.
I mean no disrespect to Robby but it's good to see other people's views and techniques. :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Russell, thank you very much for sharing the video of the Stockman's Crack !!!

Robert, Restita DeJesus videos are definitely worth watching - there are some Kung Fu and slingshot related videos on her Youtube channel which might not be your cup of tea but I'm sure that you will enjoy watching the whipcracking tutorials.

Todays practice has been very good compared to the last sessions. I didn't get the whip to crack on every technique but the transitions from one technique to another fealt a lot more smoother than on my previous practice :)

Happy cracking everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that's outstanding.
It seems to me the transition from one crack to another sets up the next crack and it's very important. You are on a good path. :)

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

It's great to hear that you are making progress Ben. It must be a good feeling too. Awesome job mate!

I'm really thankful for this challenge. Although it is a 10 crack routine, it has called for much focus on the individual cracks and that is all good :) For me in particular it has made me focus more on my fast figure 8, which needed much work and still needs some refinement.

Have a good one y'all :)

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”