10 Cracks In A Row. 2/25 to 3/6 2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, I think you are right.
Doing it slowly, mindless of the crack, is a very good way to learn.

Like Robby's always saying, you don't need to have the "boom" to practice and do it right.
The crack will happen if the technique is good.

Today's practice on the second half of the combo is just as clumsy as the first half.
I don't think 4 more days is going to be enough to even come close to learning this to a degree that I am confident in it.

Let me know if y'all want to extend this a bit longer.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

I would certainly prefer practicing this combo a little longer since I need a lot more practice to get the hang of this combo but if the other participants want to go on as planned then I will join them (and keep on practicing this combo additionally to the upcoming 10/10 practice).

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I too am needing more time on this combo.
So my vote is "extend it".

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

That's an aye from me :)
I hope there will be a respite before proceeding with the 24 crack combo :P
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Amen Russel.
I could not have said it better myself.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

I agree with you guys on more time. These challenges run for 10 days and I feel like I was already 2 months behind when I started. I have been practicing as much as possible and I am getting a little better every day but, I don't see myself getting this combo in 4 more days. I had a great practice today, it was nice to have company to practice with. I got them to watch Mr Robby's videos and then we cracked and critiqued each other. It definitely helped having the extra eyes to see and point out mistakes. One of them was able to do the fast 8 a few times. I felt that I was able to maintain more of a relaxed frame of mind and that my movements were more fluid which led to getting more cracks. It could have had something to do with the beer and switching to a lighter whip . Happy Cracking
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Johnny, it couldn't have been the beer. :)
It sounds like you had a good time .

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yes Sir. If their timing would have been right it would have been 4 of us that haven't all gotten together in some time but 1 left around 3 the other got off work at three. The amount of smack that we can talk while playing horse shoes is unreal.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I haven't played horse shoes in years.

We used to play it on the ranch and I did a one rotation flat spin by holding the shoe on the bottom part of one of the "legs" of the U.

It's a whole lot of fun.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Good times :) sounds like a good bout of whip cracking in good company.
That would be nice:)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I've been doing a bit of practice today, probably too much.

Sensing some improvement in some areas, but overall much to work on and iron out before I am happy with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQkuEPz ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JohlCjV ... wa&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbBqwJz ... gFllZx3hwa
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, you're obviously becoming more comfortable with these cracks....

I still see the whip 'wobbling' in flight, rather than moving in a flat plane. I think (but can't be sure) that this is due to the way you hold the handle. The handle doesn't move in a flat plane (as against a vertical wall, or a clock face) - and therefore the whip doesn't, ether. You put a lot of energy into these cracks, but much of that energy is dissipated in the 'wobble'. If you can keep the whip in a single, flat plane, I think you'll be able to get the same result with much less energy. The result will be smoother, more elegant, and (when you get to target work) more accurate.

If, at any point, you want me to shut up, just say so, mate! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Not at all Ron, I appreciate and respect your comments and critique, and I thank you for your advice!

I do see what you are saying, and I can feel the lack of control that permeates from the 'wobble' which I have to fight to bring back in line. It is something I have noticed.
I could be wrong, but keeping the whip straight feels to be a balancing act between timing, precision and speed in combinations.

Maybe i'm going overboard but I was going to work on every crack individually and the flow between them to work out the speed I require.
However it's evident when I watch myself that I need to refine things like the fast figure 8, crossover for example as well.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That sounds like a good idea to me, Russell; I'll be giving that a shot too, as I'm having trouble with transitioning between them
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Russell - but I'm Robert, not Ron! :)
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hahaha oh gosh I might have been forgiven for calling Jessie, Jesse (Maybe) but that was pretty embarrassing lol I am sorry for that Robert!
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi Matt,

I am hoping a pigheaded unwillingness to admit defeat will see me through :)

From what I have seen of your video clips I can see you appreciate and imitate good form quite nicely.

All the best with your whip cracking mate :)
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Cheers Russell, you too :). Just stick at it and we'll get it.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, thank you for sharing your practice videos with us.
Your practice is paying off. You are doing much better now than you were when beginning this combo. How is the 'swivel' working out for you?

I would suggest, when practicing the ' singles' to pause in between the cracks a little longer.
It was a very windy day and that might account for some of the wobble.
The flight plane has a lot to do with that as well.

Practicing 'doubles' is a good idea to be able to flow from one to the other.

Your Victorian cutback is looking nice great improvement there.

I can see how you might mix Mr. Robert and me up a little. We look so much alike and if you ever heard us talk together our accent is almost identical. :)

Ron
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today is forecast for 100% rain so it most likely will be stick of death practice today.
That might actually be what I need to be able to focus on handle position while doing slow motion transitions from one crack to another.

I'll be willing to bet I get a solid clean crack every time. :)

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”