New rules for whip swaps

Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, this all sounds splendid to me! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

That does make sense. I'm a little sad about the Whip swap, but I understand the reasoning. It does make sense.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

I fully respect that decision! The OOO swap makes sense, and though I'm a little sad about the Annual whip swap as well, I'm excited to join it next year!~
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Ok.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

A shame to take the one-on-one swap out of the forum I think. We need to be encouraging our new members to build, build, build - the only way to improve. I know it's worked for me!

As Johnny said, it's a damn shame that we have to go down this route as we're all adults and should stand by our promises. However, people are people I suppose... so whatever the admins go for, I'm with you.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Doing it this way keeps out the potential drama out of the forum.
Robby is just as unhappy to have to do it this way as we all are, but I believe it's for the best. I too wish it could be different, but it is what it is.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yep. Like I said I will play by the rules whatever they are. I'm still just happy to be a part of this family.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That sounds very sensible, Jessie.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Well rules are rules - appreciated - only sad to miss the swip swap for a year
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Reasonable. Sounds good! Agreed.
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I know having to wait a year for the Swip swap whip swap sucks the bean, but seriously you guys, nothing has changed other than that. Of course you are all encouraged to keep building and swap if you like, just do it privately. What you receive is most welcome to be shared after the fact. Whip builds are always welcomed. Nothing has changed other than the actual business is left out of the forum. The dog shelter raffle is epic fun and the puppies are always thankful. We decided to take our chances with that one because it's not about us, its for the puppies. Waiting a year for one swap is not hard. I'm not sure why it would be with all the other facets wide open to the members. Anyway, I think drama has been a thing lately and we just wanted to mitigate it as best we could so the forum can continue to be safe and fun for everyone. :)
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, I'm all for less drama (both in general and in particular) and much look forward to news of the dog shelter campaign. :)
'Less is often more!'
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Im for no drama as well. It just sucks for the ones that played by the rules that stood behind their word and was ready to deliver to be punished for the actions of of others. Especially when the one year time factor didn't apply to all backed out. Oh yeah no drama let me just shut up.
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

I'm a big fan of the dog shelter campaign. And there's the annual swap which I think is a really good opportunity to step up your game and show what you got going on.
The one year thing is fair too. By this time you'll have a good understanding of whip making and all the good advice to make the best whip. It works well this way I think.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Fritz, I believe it's very fair.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Here we go...

Swap as much as you like. But…do it privately… Still get to be in the raffle…no problem.
Have to be a practiced full member for 1 year to participate in one swap?  There’s a good reason.
Let me explain you why. 

I would love to know why these people who claim they don't have a whip good enough to practice are so keen on swapping whips and participating in prestigious swaps where the master builders are involved. I can see someone like Tyler making a beautiful whip only to get something crappy in return. Would you like that? I don’t think so. As a matter of fact, have you noticed that the "master" builders are not participating in the lesser swaps? How much you wanna bet its for that very reason I just wrote, hm? 

I did not want to become that clear, but it seems to be necessary. When I looked at the 10/10 challenge and asked, why there are so little folks participating, there were comments like: “I don’t have a whip, which is good enough to practice.” That made my day. In a very negative way. That means, that there are people, who sell/sold/give/gave away whips, which are - in their own opinion! - too bad to use them for practice. Hello…???

And those whips should be used for anonymous whip swaps? Really?

You see the point, right? And of course - no one of those, who stated that their self made (!) whips are too bad even to practice will ever participate in a whip swap. The reason is obvious.

For example. I go into the swap with a four single DVD set which is worth over 170.00 USD. And in return I receive a whip, which is as crappy as hell. Would that make me happy? I guess no. Would it make one of you happy, to invest time, passion and knowledge, just to receive a whip, on which the maker stated that his own whips aren’t good enough to practice? Again - I don’t think so.

A whip swap, which is anonymous - or better a surprise for all who take part - should be a positive surprise.
And not a “Fuck, what is that?“ and right into the trash.

This thing is all about to protect the participants.
All-I-want-is-to-protect-you.

I only doubt the word of a few folks, here. Just a few. If you like to have names, just check those who’s accounts have been closed. Those folks were interested in being part of a whip swap, too. What about Erik, if he would have sent his whip to Charlie, expecting him to be a man of his word, hm? Before Charlie disappeared, no one doubted him. Now he’s gone. And he was not a member for even one year. He wasn't a member for even six month! What about Tyler Jennings, who was a highly (!) valued member of this forum. He received his part on the swap - and disappeared. Ask Jeff. Just for the records - he did not die or anything. After he fucked us up here, he was/is still active on Facebook.

And one more thing. Sometimes I get the impression, that Ron and Jessie are not taken too serious, here. Once I received a pm, in which it was said, that Jessie is “bitchy”. The sender was no longer a member of this forum, after I read that. And - to set this straight - I did that not only for Jessie. I had it before, that one of the members complained in a pm about another member in a very rude way. Account closed. Question or looking for advise is supercool. Being rude behind the back of someone else is not.

Both - Jessie and Ron - are the backbone of this place. I know that Ron does not like to be the messenger of bad news, so it’s on Jessie. But she and Ron post things, they discussed with me, before. It’s not that they post what ever they want. It is cleared with me, before. So please accept, that they try to help you. Not to dominate you.

So - again - and hopefully everybody gets it now:
This is to protect you. The members of this forum.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I appreciate all of you guys. I feel like part of that quality of whip comment was directed at me. I was just building a 4 foot for safer practice (and so I wouldn't ruin a longer one in the crap weather. Now that snow is gone however, my 10/10 challenge videos will come more frequently. I'm hoping to film and post one tomorrow.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Fair and good, Robby. Thank you.

One year can make a HUGE difference in the quality of whips we are able to build.

Thank you, Robby, Jessie, Ron!
Inch by inch.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

You know what, I apologise for being so selfish as to want to join in on this swap so early. I understand fully, you want to keep this annual swap to a high quality, and I appreciate that. I'll keep making whips when I can in the time being, maybe I can improve enough for next year ^_^
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Very well put Robby and I fully support your reasoning.

I really wanted to get involved more with the whip swaps and raffle. I have a very good reason for not participating in the recent swap and Dog shelter raffle before that. Ever try to make a whip after spending all day working, all evening chasing a toddler, and then hoping to get a few minutes to yourself? As Asher gets bigger I hope to get more involved with whipmaking in general. I still have a pair of stockwhips I've been working on for a long time. Eventually I will finish them
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Return to “Private whip swap area”