New rules for whip swaps

Robby Amper

New rules for whip swaps

Post by Robby Amper »

I'm sorry that we have to come up with another rule. I hate that! Amongst civilized individuals there shoudn't be any rules neccessary. Unfortunately we have - every now and then - unreliable subjects here. You can never see into their hearts or brain. I tried. Didn't work... We had thos once. There was a whip swap. Last year or two years ago. The names were drawn, everybody was happy. And then - I think, his name was Taylor Jennings... - after he received his part of the deal (the complete WB DVD edition), he disappeared. Jeff was the one who should've receive a whip from him. Nothing. Just nothing. And now...? James Holly and Charlie Carpenter. One stepped back, the other simply did not answer to anything. That won't happen anymore. In Jeff's case, Rachel was so kind to make him a whip. So everything was fine.

But that won't happen again. Never.

I'm not saying that we're going to stop those whip swap thingies. Quite the contrary! The idea is fantastic and we'll go on with it. We just need some control. Here's my idea: Two people agree to a swap. And they choose a Mediator. That means, they send their finished whip not to other one. They send it to their mediator. And as soon that mediator has both whips - he's going to send them to the swap partners. I know that this will cause two times shipping costs - but better a bit more postage and a new whip (guaranteed!) instead of heavy disappointment. The mediator will receive, keep and send both whips. But he will not pay for the shipping costs...

So everybody who takes part in a swap will pay two times shipping. So it would be best, if the moderator would be in the same country as the "Swap Partners". But that way it is guaranteed that everybody will receive what was promised.

No more Charlies, no more James Hollys and no more Tyler Jennings.

What do you think?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, that sounds quite a reasonable solution to what should not have been a problem - but it was!
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

It's necessary. Something different must be done, unfortunately.
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

Hmm...

For the most part how we've done it now - it's worked - and there's really no harm done... well, except in the annual swap where someone was left without a whip...

As we've seen, some kind of "insurance" could be in place. What you suggest is probably our best bet if we were to change things but it does complicate things and makes it more expensive.
Sebastian Schott

Post by Sebastian Schott »

Good Idea, so I think and Hope the Whip Swaps go on and were getting some happy people here with new whips :)
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Robby, that is an excellent idea. Charlie was the mystery account delete wasn't he?
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

It sounds like a good idea, an "escrow" for whip swaps. It can make shipping a bit more expensive and if shipping international that can really get prohibitive.

If everyone was truly honest( and I'm not saying anybody isn't) this would be unnecessary.

By the way, Thanks again to Rachael for stepping up and making an honest group of ourselves. I still have something special planned for you, just haven't had the time.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Robby, that could be a partial solution, but what happens if one finishes early and sends their whip to the mediator and the other , for what ever reason, does not?

Wouldn't that end up being the same outcome?
At least they could get their whip back I guess.

I really hate rules as much as you do. And as you said, it shouldn't even be necessary.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, and what if the mediator disappears...?

Argh... :D
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I'm sure we'll figure something out. I'd like to do a whip swap eventually, when my financial pressures have eased off enough.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Jeff you're very welcome,
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

First of all... This would be never a must. It will always be a can. A highly recommended can, but - again - only a can. If you say "I don't need that" - perfect. But when you get ripped off...don't complain. If one sends a whip earlier and the other doesn't - yep, the mediator can send the whip back to the maker. And then he/she can sell it to anyone else. Or keep it. Or arrange a swap with another person. I don't know.

Of course it makes things a bit more expensive. But it would hurt much more to lose faith into the community than to pay a bit more on shipping, right?

There's another idea. For example. Jesse has a swap with a new member. Both of them send the adequate amount of money to their respective mediator. In case, one of both sends his whip, but doesn't receive the whip from the other party, the mediator will send the deposit from the other person to the one who fulfilled his promise. And the money he made as depot too, of course. That way no higher shipping costs, but no financial loss, either.

We have Erik, who made a whip. And he had expenses. We have Charlie. Who made a promise and didn't keep his word. Now imagine Erik would have sent his whip already. Whip lost, shipping costs lost and nothing in return. Not good. If I would've been their mediator, I would have 200 bucks. 100.00 from Charlie and 100.00 from Erik. In that case I would send those 200.00 to Erik. His own "safety deposit" and the money from Charlie, because he didn't do anything. So Erik would have his money back and the payment for his work.

If both deliver correctly. And both tell me that they have their promised whips, I would send them both their safety deposit. Charlie his 100.00 bucks and Erik his 100.00 bucks. Both have their whips. Both have their deposit back and everyone is happy.

This too is not a must. It's still a can. But a can that gives you absolute safety that you won't lose anything.

Robby

p.s.

Erik...
Erik Torpström wrote:Yeah, and what if the mediator disappears...?

Argh... :D

Please see yourself as kicked in the bottom. By me ;)
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

That makes good sense, a deposit. Easy enough and no extra costs to either one if they follow through.
Inch by inch.
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Robby - you are right in most things, except that i would loose faith in the community if i did not get my whip. I am quite sure that the person who did not honor an agreement made in here would be thrown out quite quick, and yes then i lost a whip - but not the trust of the integrity of the community.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

That's good, Morten. And - you're right. Someone who would fail to keep his promise would be kicked out immediately.
But that way you'll have no financial loss. Which wouldn't be too bad, either, right?

Robby
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

I totally agree. I can tell you from experience, it really sucks to be looking forward to 1 getting a new whip and 2 to have someone else give you an honest opinion of your work and when the time comes no deal, even if you don't loose money. So I could only imagine how it would be if you were to loose the whip that you made as well. Great idea. It is a shame that these rules are needed.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

It is a shame. But this is the third time that these things happen.

Robby
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Well as well as everybody else i hate to loose time and money :-)
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I'd really rather not go down this path but I an see the worth in discussing options.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Maybe all that's needed is not to send finished whips until proof that both whips are finished. Then and only then ship them to each other for the swap.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Return to “Private whip swap area”