Whip tutorial DVDs

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Robby Amper

Whip tutorial DVDs

Post by Robby Amper »

Hey Folks!

I know that the Whip Basics aren't the only DVDs out there :) So I thought I'll post new/other vids when I find them. Here's the first...

A video tutorial by Adam Winrich!. He's a great whipcracker.
Anyone who had the chance to watch it yet?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Stephane Normand

Post by Stephane Normand »

haven't seen it yet, but I heard him plugging it in one of his latest youtube vids about choosing whip length. I wonder if the youtube vids will stay up or be removed now that he has a chance to make a little money with it. For the amount of people who watch and learn from him, he deserves a little compensation if you ask me. I hope his video does well
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

Adam is a master performer, and no slouch when it comes to whipcracking. If memory serves, he currently holds 12 world records for various portions of the sport.

If I am ever half as good as he is, I shall be a god.
mal

Post by mal »

...hmm.. his technique is very impressive. But I cant decide, if he is a good entertainer or a good teacher.. or both? is that even possible?
Stephane Normand

Post by Stephane Normand »

mal wrote:a good entertainer or a good teacher.. or both? is that even possible?
why would you not think it possible? If he has the skills to be a good cracker/performer, it makes sense that he would be able to share the knowledge it took to get to that point with others. Don't you think?
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

As they say, a stroke from the brush does not guarantee art.

I have personally tried to explain to others some of the things that I know (not necessarily about whips, but in general) and have failed miserably many times.

A talented person can be a good teacher, but it does not necessarily follow that they will be.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Being a Renaissance Fair performer myself, I was thinking of picking up a copy so I could see his show.. (at the end of the dvd he has a performance of his Ren Act.)

I’ve heard about it around the circuit but never saw his act.

I don’t know if it’s on the dvd, but I hear he is a fantastic harmonica player as well. :)
mal

Post by mal »

exactly.
A teacher (and I am one ;)- but not for whipcracking ) should be able to teach it well. As an entertainer you should be able to entertain. The high art is to combine both.
The problem is, that many people believe, that they could combine both, but in the end their educational videos are used just to represent themselves.

sorry for my bad english :)
Last edited by mal on Thu 17. Jun 2010, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTheRipper12

Post by MikeTheRipper12 »

Hey guys, I have multiple whip DVDs. Robbie's (of course) is by far the best for a beginner to learn the method. I have Adam's video the best and while he goes through the same cracks (with some variation and different names) he made it more of a "let me show newbies how to do it and you can watch them screw up and me correct them". It works very well. The only gripe I have about it is that Adam only glances over the explanation of a few cracks. It makes up for it with that he has to show the beginners how to do each crack multiple times, various ways to correct their mistakes and such. Its a good dvd and it is worth the money. Its worth it just to see his fire whip cracking routine and his comedy crack routine, his ren-fair routine and him cracking that ridiculous 225 foot whip. He also gives you tips on how to make poppers and how to make the popper he uses to cut soda cans in half. The only thing he didn't show you how to do (but he tells you) is how to blow out a candle. If i remember correctly he tells you to check out his youtube account for more pointers and advice (which he certainly does...he also shows off his massive whip collection blatantly making other whip crackers drool). I enjoyed it, I found it much more helpful then the older whip cracking movies (though they were helpful in their own right). Adam's DVD is entertaining and helpful, and a good price. If it came down to which I would choose to tell someone to buy for a dvd to learn from? Whip basics. But Adam's DVD is a close second.
Whips & What Knots

Post by Whips & What Knots »

I've worked with and made custom whips for Adam at the AZ ren fair over the past 2 years and I think his DVD is good for beginners. He dose rag on one of the student for whiping himself and adds some tips on correcting their performance. The dvd includes his "Fire Whip Show" along with some performances with "The Daun Juan & Miguel Show" as well. Along with tips from his show the dvd is his only merchandise to sell to the fans. Some people want the dvd for the tutitorial and others for the entertainment aspect. Either way Adams an ace whip master and maker. He has helped me refine my development in whip design and performance and I wouldn't be this far with out his help.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

MikeTheRipper12 wrote:If it came down to which I would choose to tell someone to buy for a dvd to learn from? Whip basics. But Adam's DVD is a close second.
Thanks for the compliments. That was exactly the idea behind the Whip Basics project - to give the pure beginner a helping hand. I think, the idea is verified. The DVDs are sold in Singapore and Japan, too, in the meantime :)

But there's another great knowledge base for all the folks who like the double handed cracking. And I'm not talking about imitating a machine gun... I mean complex routines and combinations! Check Simon Martin whips. He offers a great DVD: "Two-handed whipcracking" Level 1. It's here:

http://simonmartinwhips.com.au/store/in ... ducts_id=6

I'm not too much into the two handed stuff, but I know there are folks out there who are! You should give it a try.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”