Figure 8 combinations 2/14/2017 to 2/24/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I share your sentiment Fritz :)

I look forward to seeing a clip of you whip cracking :)

Cheers
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yesterday had it's ups and downs. I started off watching Mr Robby's video again while drinking some Coffee and then spent at least an hour outside practicing the slow figure 8. I was taking my time trying not to over power the whip and it seemed to be flowing effortlessly. I could notice a definite improvement and was content with the light snap instead of the loud crack. All was good. I stopped practicing to do some work around the house and ended up playing about 4 rounds of horse shoes with a neighbor. Well when the kids got in from school I got them to come out and practice with me. For some reason I couldn't get the figure 8 crack right to save my life. The harder I tried to get back in that zone the worse I was doing, making the same mistakes that I was a few days ago and maybe even worse. I thought that it was because I was using a different whip so I went back to the whip from earlier. Didn't help, tried 4 or 5 different whips and I still couldn't get my whip mojo back. Finally I had to just stop. I am hoping that maybe I just wore my arm out or maybe it had something to do with my kids having my attention, I just don't know. Has this ever happened to any of you? I do know that I will get out there again today and try it again.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Johnny, this has happened to me repeatedly - and not just with whips! it can happen with playing the piano, too. I finally think I've mastered something, and then - when I try to demonstrate - I just can't do it. I've found the best thing is to back off, have a break, and start all over again. Then, little by little, there can be progress....
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I know exactly what you mean, Johnny. It happens to me with any kind of 'performance' or skill; I'll practice and get it down, but then when it comes to trying it in front of someone or doing it after a break I completely lose it. Robert's right, when you first think you've got it down, you haven't. You just need to practice until every one is spot on, any time, and then you've got it.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

A musician friend of mine says he tries to practice until his muscle memory and brain coordination are so good that he can't make a mistake. Only then does he feel he's ready to perform....
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

I'm not sure I could push it that far, Robert, but it's definitely a good way to go if you've got the patience :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

It's a counsel of perfection, of course - but this particular friend is an inveterate perfectionist! (If he could follow Jessie's recent advice about relaxing without the whiskey, he'd probably play better, and with more pleasure.)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I too have experienced a "step back" time period.
It's right after that when I start over that the "Hell Yeah!" moment occurs.
When it makes you smile you are on the right track to mastering it.

Perfection is a lofty goal, but you know it can never be obtained so you keep on practicing.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's practice was evening out a little.
I have , obviously, decided to just practice the one figure 8 combo that I started with.

The underhand to slow 8 to fast 8 to circus crack.
It's coming along.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

My got my MoJo back again today on the slow figure 8 It was much better. I am still working on the fast figure 8 and I had some success with the coachman's crack also but, both still need much more practice. I know from now on when doing the coachman I will be sure to wear ear plugs. I wasn't trying for a loud crack but I got one right next to my ear. It is still ringing.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

It sounds like you are making good steady progress Johnny.
Ear protection is a good idea.
Good job.

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Ron, your combo video looks great and I'm impressed how fast you got the hang of combining those different cracks !!!
It's a bit challenging for me to develop a feal for the right timing when combining different cracks together and therfore the entire action isn't very smooth of fluid on my practice (not yet :) ).

Mr. Jones, thank you very much for sharing your videos. You whipcracking looks very accurate !!!

Johnny, thank you very much for sharing your video !!!
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I hope that you will get well soon !!!

Robby, thank you very much for making this helpful video !!!
The entire video has been very helpful for me and the part about the second crack of the fast figure 8 particulary helped me a lot (so far I have been making the mistake of lifting up the whip to much instead of just "turning the pages of a book").

My practice during the last couple of days has been very challenging because of the windy weather in my area. Today the winds have been so strong that it was impossible for me to contoll the movement of the thong. I didn't hurt myself on todays outdoor practice but the thong wraped around my body several times before I decided to quit todays outdoor practice. I'll practice with the stick of death tonight :)

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks Ben.
Today's practice was another continuing attempt to time all the different cracks so they flow one into the other better.
With the Fast 8 I have to slow it down on the follow through to accommodate the final crack, the circus crack.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Continuing to improve on the slow8 but, I do keep having a hard time not looking back. The fast 8 is still a work in progress. I will get out there again tomorrow. Happy Cracking
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I hope i'm not bombarding the page too much with video clips but I had a bit more practice today.

https://youtu.be/ltbwISLU3Yg

I feel like I am getting a bit better...

cheers
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I can't help but look when I do fast and slow figure 8's too lol
I'll have to try harder.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, I'm sure you're getting better....

It's hard to see clearly, but I think you're holding ('clutching') the handle above the heel knot. If you try holding the heel knot itself rather loosely in your palm, (so that knot and palm act like a ball and socket joint) you may find you can control the whip better.

I find that this grip enables me somehow to 'feel' the fall and cracker all the time. It's as if my arm and hand extend right down to the actual crack. I can use less force, and the thong travels in a nice smooth arc.

I've never seen anyone do this better than Robby. He really uses minimum effort, but because of his technique, the whip does all the work - and also moves very elegantly. But - to the uninitiated - it almost looks as if he's not really trying!
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thank you for taking the time to view, analyze and comment Robert.

Hmm I thought I was gripping the knot, but maybe as I have become more complacent I have not been as conscious of that.

Thanks for highlighting that, it's always good to have feedback. When I try again tomorrow, I will keep your advice in mind.

Thanks again :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

But, as I said, Russell, I can't see exactly what you're doing now! :)

It does look, though, as if you're clutching it very tightly. Try to relax....
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Looks very good Russell :). I used to hold the 'handle'... silly me :P.
'Sic Parvis Magna'

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”