Figure 8 combinations 2/14/2017 to 2/24/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Russell, I checked your videos. And here is what you do wrong:

Okay. And now what you're doing right - in one sentence: Everything. Your cracks are straight, the horizontal line is horizontal und crack it very relaxed. The whip is a long one; so you touch the ground when you follow through. That slowes it down a bit. Use a shorter whip and you'll move like a bird in the sky.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks guys, I agree Ron I used too much power particularly at the end. It's an 8 ft whip made out of paracord by Keanu Shimaoka. It is surprisingly light so feels like you need speed to keep a flow. I'll keep practising though.
I love it when the water sprays at the end of a crack too!
Ron, the Robby Flash was something I used from the Whip Basics DVD vol II when Robby said you can call the crossover whatever you liked, and threw the Robby flash out there :)
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Sorry Robby I must have been posting while you were. Thanks for the appraisal! But did you forget to mention what I was doing wrong?, hehe
I'm going to try and slow down a bit and refine my technique a bit
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Robby, just checking, did you receive my reply to your email? Cheers
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Doing the same combo (underhand > circus > slow 8 > fast 8 > circus)
I do believe it's getting a little smoother.
The reverse part of the slow 8 is looking better bringing the whip up a little higher in the beginning of it before finishing it.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

I actually made a video today was in the process of transferring it to my phone and to YouTube while drilling out wooden knob, slipped with the drill and stabbed myself in the wrist with one of those bad Ass Flat bottom bits. On the way to the emergency room loosing a lot of blood.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

OMG Johnny! I hope you are well seen to and are OK! Keep us posted mate!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Sorry to hear that Johnny.
(chicks dig scars)

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Yeah my wife isn't digging it it happened right before she walked in from work , I had yelled to my son to bring me some paper towels and I was trying to stop the bleeding when she walked in. At first I said that I didn't need to go to the ER but it didn't take much convincing when it wouldn't stop bleeding. 0
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Kind of reminds me of when I was a youngin.

My father was a biochemist at the local hospital, and had an interesting array of medical equipment. One day while having a look through his treasures I stumbled upon some surgical blades.

I thought they were pretty cool and decided to take one, and use it to slice open a passionfruit. The blade slipped and I damn near cut the tip of my finger off.
My Dad noticed me holding my finger and came out and asked what happened. When I showed him he kind of freaked out "What have you done???"
I replied it wasn't that bad, and he yelled "You're bleeding like a stuck pig!"

Luckily the cut was clean and it healed back really quickly. No more playing with surgical blades.

I hope you are all good mate.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

All is well got a few x-rays and some stitches now at waffle house before heading home.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for letting us know Johnny. I'm glad to hear all is well. Here's hoping you heal up quickly.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Johnny... What are you doing? If you're not in the mood to upload a video - no worries. You don't have to hurt yourself :)
Okay, serious. I'm only making those stupid jokes, because I'm happy that everything went fine for you. Take care of your hand and stay relaxed!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hahaha smooth Robby :)
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Mr. Johnny I'm glad to hear you got it stopped and took care of. Those bits can get you quick. Heal well!
Inch by inch.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Dang it Johnny, that's bad luck. Glad to hear you got patched up before you bled out. Whip making is more dangerous than whip cracking
He died for me, I'll live for him
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Bok9lX-I9fU

Mr Robbie It was just a minor set back. It will take more than a few stitches to stop me from participating now. Watching this video reminds me why I hate taking pictures or video of myself though. This is the video from yesterday. That beer gut an bald spot is getting out of hand. I can see that I need to go a little higher on the reverse but it is an improvement from a few days ago. I just came in from cracking for an hour or so. Before the reverse felt so unnatural but now it is getting easier to do even more so than yesterday. I still have a lot of work to do on the slow 8 and I'm still working on getting the reverse for the fast 8. I'll get it thought. It might just be a week or so before I can do it with my left.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Johnny, that link is not working for me.

Ron
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks for fixing that for us.

I can see that there is way too much power being used on both the forward and rearward parts of this slow 8.

Robby has told me on more than one occasion, not to watch the whip.
I think if you work on slowing down the speed / velocity/ power, this will be a little easier for you to do. It worked out that way for me.

Thanks for uploading your video and sharing with us. :)

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”