Figure 8 combinations 2/14/2017 to 2/24/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Thanks for the feedback Mr Ron. I think that I am so intimidated by the camera that it makes me a little anxious. I will focus on slowing and calming down. I will be practicing again today but I'm going to wait a few day to make another video but I will still be posting.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Johnny, I try to take a video on the first day, like you did, and one on the tenth day for comparison. That way if there's improvement it shows handily.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Phew, glad you got sorted Johnny. The cracking's looking good, but I've got to echo Ron here and say it looks like you're muscling the whip. Cameras scare most of us though, so no worries :).
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Johnny, for goodness sake take care!

Too much muscle: it's odd, but whips seem to generate their own power when the user uses less force, not more. Curious! :P
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for sharing your clip Johnny,

I know what you mean about the camera, for me it adds a dimension of self awareness I find distracting at times.

My belief is that you are not too far off getting the slow figure 8. Establishing a flow between the cracks rather than an absolute stop-snap at the end of them will help.
It will come with more practice, i'm sure of that.
Breaking the cracks down individually then trying to pull them together is how I managed.

Cheers
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

I thought I would post another clip of some cracking I got in today.

It's nothing great but i'm trying to isolate certain things in the combo and exercise a bit more finesse with the x-over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8acVJJ ... WYUgWnECGZ
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

It's great to see this developing, Russell. And it looks like your dog doesn't need walks to get exercise: the miles covered while you're cracking must add up to quite a lot! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I went outside to crack whips today. Not to follow what everyone else is doing, but to just do something on my own. My Coachman's crack has been done all wrong, so I am relearning that, but mostly I am just making noise today. I ended up meeting a stranger with a very large bottle of whiskey and taught him the circus crack. I'm not back necessarily, I just came in to do a little housekeeping and thought I would chime in.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Good teaching Jess, great to see you!
Inch by inch.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Robert. Yes, it is good exercise for both of us! Although being a border collie he can run for days lol

Sounds like an interesting story Jessie. Whips & Whiskey.... what could go wrong? hehehe Maybe a bit of dutch courage might hold an advantage....
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Sometimes it's good to make some noise. Just for the noise.
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Johnny - basically you're okay. Your problem is that you change the speed whilst cracking. That's all. You bring the whip up very nice and easy, but on the way down you speed up suddenly. And that irritates the whip. With that higher speed you hit it into the ground. And that makes it more complicate to follow through in a smooth pace. Just slow down and try to keep up the (slow) speed. Try that and you'll improve very soon.

And - I think, you look neither better nor worse than anyone else of us on cam. So - go ahead, Johnny :)

Robby
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Robby Amper wrote:Sometimes it's good to make some noise. Just for the noise.
That sounds like a quote I can empathise with :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I totally forgot... Here's my contribution to the "Figure Eight" subject. I wanted to shoot it earlier, but it was raining.
Hey - I know what you want to say now. No, no, don't :) I am waterproof. The cameras are not. Therefore I had to wait for dry weather.

And - here it is: https://youtu.be/OVV4KU11Qg0

I hope it is helpful for you.

Robby
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Very good clip Robby.

A very detailed look into the slow / fast figure 8 cracks and some very valid points / reminders that I need to keep in mind personally too.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute.

My wife has lots of roses, and I always have to watch out for them too lol *Dead man cracking* hehe

I will be sure to watch this again in more detail I think, so I remember these points before getting into more practice.

Cheers
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

What a break down of the various parts of the Figure 8 cracks.
Thank you Robby for taking the time and trouble to do this.
Not only is it important to know what to do but also what not to do.
Great job.

(I like the informal approach of this presentation a lot)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thanks for doing this Robby, you put so much time into the community :). You're very funny too, dead man cracking had me in stitches
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Grant Weaver

Post by Grant Weaver »

I agree with Robby. Just make sure to keep the downward motions the same speed and strength as the upward motions. The whip will do all of the work, you just need to guide it. You've definitely got the right idea!
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Thanks Mr Robby for the advice and for the video. It means a lot to me that you care enough to make these videos to help us. It makes me want to get out and practice even more. I am kicking myself for not keeping up with the 10/10 challenge from the start. If I would have I would be so much better now from it. You are right I see where I was speeding up. I think I was trying to hard to get the crack. I know now that having the correct form and technique is more important than the crack. Your way of teaching makes it feel so personal and easier to learn. Thanks again for everything.
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Very inspiring thread this.
Robby' video sums up the videos on this thread really well I think.
Some top whip cracking all round. I must see to get some whipping done. Haven't cracked a whip in some months, I'm ashamed to say....

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”