The Coachman's crack 2/4/17 to 2/13/17

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wolfgang, don't worry about letting the whip touch the ground.
Sometimes it can be a "calming and steadying" influence, helping to keep the whip lined up.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

There will be some days with cracking practice in the next few weeks with the weather currently being sunny all day long.
I wonder when this drought period ends.
Well , you all convinced me to definitely keep my arm lower and let the whip slide along the ground, to have some room to bring it up, I wonder how this turns out ;)
And then obviously the slowing down.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Wolfgang Timm wrote:Flemming, I don’t know if I understand this correctly. You mean finding the point with lowest amount of energy possible to keep the whip barely moving in it‘s supposed path? For example, when I bring the whip up for the cattleman, do it so slow that the whip almost falls down to the ground again, before it completes the loop ?
Wolfgang, that's it! It doesn't matter now if you don't get any crack at all. Get the form right, and everything else becomes possible! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

"Get the form right, and everything else becomes possible!"

So true Mr. Robert, especially in life. :)

Ron
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

I learned two things today: 1. fear of the whip touching the ground is nonsense - a 6 footer only makes slight contact with the fall 2. This crack is louuud! Well, I knew this, but at some point I didn‘t have my earplugs in, no fun (that’s the first part of the video).
It‘s still difficult, I absolutely don‘t get the right timing and feeling for the vertical version of this crack, horizontal...well I think it’s going in the right direction. Arm is lower today and at least it „felt“ a little better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUn4SjJXA ... e=youtu.be
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Hi Wolfgang. I don't know if you have bought the DVD set, but it is a good investment.

When you bring your arm down to crack the whip, you stop the movement at horisontal level. It is important that you continue the movement, because it goes over in slow figure 8. So bring your arm down to 6 o'clock.

Ir it going better today. Not so fast and more control
Today is a good day
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

That is looking better.
But again..... slow down. Anyone can make a whip crack at high speed and power, but it takes good form and technique to do it super slow. The rest will follow.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Wolfgang, it's really the first part of this crack that is too fast. You jerk your arm up very fast, and then pause before the second part - and, in that pause, the whip looses momentum. Try to pull the whip up slowly, in a smooth arc, and then throw it up for the crack. Try it, and see what happens....
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Flemming, yes I have the DVDs and like them very much! The 10/23 crack routines from the DVDs are my „goal“ in the next few months. But in those the coachman’s crack comes AFTER the reverse cattleman‘s ... or am I missing something and you are referring to something else? Of course I can follow through, bring the whip behind for the sidearm flick which comes next... or I just follow through for the next coachman’s crack.

Ron, I was just about to ask „what EXACTLY do you mean by slowing down“ (well if it cracks , it cracks ... I didn’t feel like I was forcing it) and then...

Robert, thank you very much for this explanation! I wasn’t aware that the pause could be that much of a problem. I am waiting for the whip to swing up again, but I think I understand better now...

I hope I am not boring you with posting videos about this every other day ;)
There is other stuff I would like to share anyway :D
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I would say to pause between crack attempts.
Focus on one crack at a time and don't worry about the combinations.
Once you have "mastered" each crack, and are consistent and comfortable with them, then you can start to try the combos.
Take your time learning. Trying to learn too fast can ingrain bad habits into your routine that are extremely hard to be rid of.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Wolfgang, I don't think any of us can be bored by this subject!

Ron is right. Work on one crack at a time, and don't try to learn too fast. If you do, you will just practice your mistakes!
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

You are right, I know...unfortunately I have been practicing the wrong way for years now and hardly ever focused on taking the power out and doing it really slow and controlled. So it‘s a little like starting from scratch.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Wolfgang - 10/23 crack routines are high goals within a few months. I started seriously last year in september and I am not there yet.
I allways find a detail in each single crack to refine. Of course I do small Combos now including cracks from the 10/23, but not them all.

I am focusing on the single cracks and to do them in a prober way with both hands.

Those "boring" routines of changing hands gives me in fact at lot of coordination also in other contexts.
Today is a good day
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Wolfgang Timm wrote:You are right, I know...unfortunately I have been practicing the wrong way for years now and hardly ever focused on taking the power out and doing it really slow and controlled. So it‘s a little like starting from scratch.
Wolfgang, I believe that one of the surest signs of real mastery is starting all over from the beginning - again and again! (I think I've heard Robby say something like this, too!)
'Less is often more!'
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Flemming Bo Christiansen wrote:
I am focusing on the single cracks and to do them in a prober way with both hands.

Those "boring" routines of changing hands gives me in fact at lot of coordination also in other contexts.

Totally forgot about this one: Before I joined the forum I found the video Robby posted about bringing the whip up for the cattleman’s crack ,swiveling handle, change to other hand, bring the whip down.
I thought to myself „I have to try this... I can change hands behind the back for consecutive overhead cracks with left and right hand, so this should also be possible“
I was sooo wrong...whenever I tried this, the whip wrapped around the other arm when bringing it down.
This excercise remains in my to-do list.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Wolfgang - the "Change hands behind the back" from overhead to overhead crack is not that easy eighter done correctly.

In the beginning I could do that without problems, but Robby told me to be aware, that the overhead horizontal really IS horizontal (there is a video about that too) instead of diagonally like you see many "speedcrackers" do.

Trying to keep the cracks horizontal......... oh...........
Today is a good day
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Flemming, yes I had learn that too... When I do the hand change the cracks become very diagonal at the side and hardly above the head :rolleyes:
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Love this one, Straying into variations here I recently envisioned the satisfaction of being able to do a horizontal overhead coachmans crack, but so far haven't had much luck :D
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Robert Gage wrote: Wolfgang, I believe that one of the surest signs of real mastery is starting all over from the beginning - again and again! (I think I've heard Robby say something like this, too!)
Not a master myself, but words of wisdom right there!

It can be frustrating, but this is so true!
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Russell Jones wrote:horizontal overhead coachmans crack :D
What?! :lol:
There is an April Choi video about an overhead FLICK and one about a backwards reverse overhead CRACK...both gave me a headache...this sounds similar :D

I‘am still working on this one and can repeatedly get the diagonally upward version but after having a closer look at todays video, Robby’s explanation video and an older one from Restita de Jesus I realized that the forearm just has to do the main work when swinging the whip up. When the upper arm is already in a high position there is just not much left to bring it further up. Keep the arm lower and it should work. Next time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9uy_fWHkL8

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”