Ron May

Post by Ron May »

And the epic saga continues.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

The saga continues, and the cliffhanger for the next episode issssss.... "bugger" XD

Decoring has always been my least favourite part of making whips haha
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

So good Matt. Please keep it coming!
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Episode 4: Preparation

After many days in hibernation, the cow awakes from its slumber. Staggering out from its cluttered cave into the light, it realises that beer, essays, and playing cards do not help it with its growth :P.

The day is approaching fast when it will put the finishing touches to its body, and so it must finish the shell before it can attach the wooden backbone. It starts by tying the vines it laid on tight, in round and criss-cross patterns:

The cow feels that this is not enough, though, and wraps itself in layers of cloth to make sure that it is secure and well-formed:

Once again, it relaxes by having a quick roll on the rocks. The cow enjoys this and flicks its tail all over the place, nearly taking out the eye of a passing Matt:

The last preparations are finished. The cow can now begin work on its final layer, its Magnum Opus...
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Awesome work, thanks for sharing Matt.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Cheers Russell :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

And the saga continues.

Ron
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

This is my favorite story. Also a very cool way of explaining how a whip is built. Do more of these, hopefully for different types of whips
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

The good thing is, that this is a public thread. So a whole lot of people can see & read the story of that rare animal. That is a great idea, Matt. Thank you in the name of all the guests, who read, but can't post! If you like, you can search the forum for a story about the "Coconut Helmet". Seeing what your kind of humor is, you probably will enjoy it.

Please go on and let us be part of the life of that young fellow. The forum members and all the folks, out there in the world!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Ron, the saga indeed continues. I should hand-write it and bind it in leather :P.

Jesse, thank you for your appreciation :). I'll most definitely do more of these.

Robby, thank you for your support of me and the little green fellow. What seemed a madcap idea at the start has turned into something special, and I'm glad that the forum and the wider world have both come to enjoy it.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, whipmakers and whipcrackers, Episode 5: Magnum Opus will be published within the next week or so. Our cow, who shall be named in due course by its new owner, will finish its main body and run out into the wilderness for a hopefully jubilant test flight...
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

And Robby, you're right; I have been shown the light of the coconut gods, albeit briefly before it hit me round the head.

As a matter of fact, I met what can only be what was an angel once. My friend brought back to our usual hangout a coconut. No ordinary coconut. This one had a smiling face.

It was decreed that the name of the coconut should be Garth, and Garth was to live with us in our corner at college. We prospered under his auspices for a time, then in the middle of the night in what could only have been an act of religious terrorism, Garth was struck down and smashed!

We hunted for his killer, but in vain. Not willing to forsake his memory, we kept a small part of his shell under a card labelled simply 'RIP Garth'. The card, and shell, remain to this day.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Episode 5.1: Dreams

As Mick the cow slept, he heard strange voices in the night...

https://youtu.be/kC5Q7BIDYTY
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Matt, I feel sure this is unique amongst contributions to the Forum!

You seem to have the blue idiom down very well! I'm sure Mick is happily mooing in his sleep!
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Not EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-tape? Say it ain't so.
Just kidding.... I know you were just holding the dropped strands with it. ;)

Vertical video......... *smacks back of his head*

You have a nice voice.
Plaiting like you were "on a mission from God".

Ron
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Glad you like it folks, I thought it'd be a nice change from photos.

Blues/jazz is my main style of music, Robert, I play harmonica and sing in a band :).

Ron, no e-tape. I use a strip of hockey tape to hold dropped strands in place. Thank you for the compliment, I like to think I can hold my own at karaoke ;). As for vertical video, I'm very sorry :(. I'll need four fried chickens and a coke to get over that head smacking :D.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Dude you are a trip. That was too cool. Keep up the good work, and keep it coming. I was worried when I saw the E Tape....
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Way to go Matt! :D
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Very cool, Matt! Can't wait to see more!
Inch by inch.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thank you Johnny, Rog, and Rachel :). I just like to entertain people.

The proper build bit will be coming a little later tonight, I've nearly finished Mick's overlay.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

ahaha Matt that's amazing, you seem to enjoy yourself a lot when plaiting! :D Can't wait to see how this whip goes!

I tend to either watch videos or listen to classical symphonies, not exactly the easiest thing to sing to :P
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”